speakers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

andybebbs

Apr 30, 2020
Visit site
don`t get base boom at all as these speakers are not what i would call a big base speaker i find the tops a bit harsh at times if anything.
I am in the middle of trying them pointing at each other across the room rather than at my listening position at the moment and sounds a little better so will give it a bit of time and see how it goes.

andybebbs

Apr 30, 2020
Visit site
to be honest guys there is no option to move from where they are and can only change the angle of toe so looks like its a problem i will have to adjust to. not pointing directly at my listening position is helping a bit so will see how it sounds over the next week.

insider9

I think it is the speakers but let's try to do the most. Things to try. Left speaker try moving it so that it doesn't fire at a TV stand, move it forward a little. That should improve imaging.

In regards to toe in if you can't do too much try tilting the speakers so that they fire at an upwards angle. If you're using spikes that's easily done.

Also I'm noticing that your room might contribute here more than usual. As an experiment get a thick blanket or a duvet and put it on the floor. Have a listen. If things improve and usually they do get yourself a rug. Key here is not the size but make sure that the reflection points are covered.

I guess you won't be able to do much with the right speaker due to living arrangements but you can tilt it also. Let us know how you get on.

andybebbs

Apr 30, 2020
Visit site
Insider thanks for help i have just had very thick carpet laid last week so that will help. here is a rough sketch of room speakers are about 10ft apart. i used to have them pointing at sitting position now moved slightly forward meeting about 2 to 3ft in front of listening position. sounds a bit better than straight at me.20210504_150627.jpg

D

Deleted member 116933

well i asked Ceritech Audio today if i could audition some speakers at home and they said no :rolleyes: how strange would of thought they wanted the business.

Did you just ring them up, or have you listened at the store before asking?

andybebbs

Apr 30, 2020
Visit site
just rang them as there in Cinderford and i`m in Bristol and was not expecting them for free i was expecting to pay for them and refund on return. they did offer to demo if i drive up there just thought it would be better to demo at home as i will get a better idea of what they sound like.

Oxfordian

just rang them as there in Cinderford and i`m in Bristol and was not expecting them for free i was expecting to pay for them and refund on return. they did offer to demo if i drive up there just thought it would be better to demo at home as i will get a better idea of what they sound like.

Disappointing, my dealer lent me gear quite happily, nothing too much trouble, I picked up from the store and they dropped stuff off at my house and even helped set the gear up.

True, after all the effort they put in they got a lot of business from me, but then you’re trying to do the same.

Not one item I purchased was demo’d in store, we talked on the phone about what I wanted, what my musical tastes are, how I like to listen and all that stuff, then the dealer suggested gear which I demo’d then depending on outcome it stayed or went back. The only bit of kit that stayed the course was the ATC SCM 7’s.

Any other dealers in your area?

Reactions: andybebbs

andybebbs

Apr 30, 2020
Visit site
the speakers i want to demo are not sold in any stores in bristol so the nearest to me is Cinderford or Yeovil, I have had no problem demoing kit in bristol but they not got what i want.

andybebbs

Apr 30, 2020
Visit site
finding this amazing so i rang seven oaks sound and vision in yeovil to ask if i can demo the fyne f501 speakers at home they said no come into the store and hear them in are demo room they will sound the same as your room which i disagreed with, i tried to explain why i need to demo them at home which he didn`t seem keen on but did say he would ask his boss and get back to me. so i thought to myself there is a seven oaks in bristol so i rang them and they said they don`t sell them at which point i expalined there yeovil store did and could they not have a set brought up for me to test. He said we are not a fyne dealer and no can`t transfer stock.
Well seems no one wants my £1300 which i find very strange.

D

Deleted member 116933

You see you have to build a report with them you can't just blurt it out LOL, some dealers live in the dark ages and have no demo stock, so for you to refund and return means they would have to sell them open box at a loss. And as you're not a returning customer. Well you get the idea

I live in Suffolk and have equipment come from Scotland, but I cultivated that relationship over time that they can trust me with thousands of pounds worth of gear. And I never pay for demo equipment but i do/did lay a deposit that I say they can keep if the unit is damaged ( but i did this in the first instance and never again) and I did politely point out the postage is insured so what do they have to lose.

If they're not willing I move on to the next dealer that is. You'll have more luck with the independents, not the chains, Sevenoaks is not a place id shop always terrible service and would never lend out gear. We had one in Ipswich always rubbish service hence its now gone.

But if you have no joy and you don't want to travel to listen then you might have to audition the brands you can get hold of.

Try peter tyson maybe

CheshirePete

Oct 12, 2020
Visit site
finding this amazing so i rang seven oaks sound and vision in yeovil to ask if i can demo the fyne f501 speakers at home they said no come into the store and hear them in are demo room they will sound the same as your room which i disagreed with, i tried to explain why i need to demo them at home which he didn`t seem keen on but did say he would ask his boss and get back to me. so i thought to myself there is a seven oaks in bristol so i rang them and they said they don`t sell them at which point i expalined there yeovil store did and could they not have a set brought up for me to test. He said we are not a fyne dealer and no can`t transfer stock.
Well seems no one wants my £1300 which i find very strange.

Most of these companies are not interested in home demo's. You need to listen to speakers in your own home for several days before you can be comfortable that they are right for you. I actually bought some B&W 704 s2 after a shop demo, two days later I knew I could never live with them, and even after altering there position multiple times and acoustic treatment to the room they ended up on Ebay, I lost about £400.

I have literally wasted thousands of pounds swapping speakers and equipment because they were just not right, the worst thing for me being brightness.

I recently bought a NAD C 658 which has Dirac live, so I can run the room correction software and fine tune my setup for my room and personal taste.

This is not for everyone, but I took advantage of 6 months interest free credit from Sevenoaks.

So far I am happy, perhaps worth considering?

gasolin

unnatural brightness that is fatiguing :sick: (asuming you hear the highs normal)

Dali speaktor 1 surprised me by having a very warm sound and a very pleasant top, much better than the B&W 607 anniversary edition that is louder and more fatiguing, dali spektor 1 need power so the 2 or 6's might be better if you like it loud, the 2's are more than half the price of the spektor 6

What the difference in frequency responce is from the spektor 1 and 2 and 6 i don't know, i just know the spektor 1 has a warm sound and pleasant non fatiguing highs with my system.

What i also could reccomend you is active studio monitors to match to your room

Just about all good active studio monitors have adjustments that can match them to your room and close to a wall, i can recommed spakers Mackie MR 524 to 824 I think with the 824 you don't need a subwoofer, the MR624 goes down to 45hz at -3db, -10db is 38hz to comparison the Yamaha hs7 is -10db at 43hz

Mackie MR824 is 38hz -3db .-10 db at 35hz

preview_1.jpg

D

Deleted member 160668

Insider thanks for help i have just had very thick carpet laid last week so that will help. here is a rough sketch of room speakers are about 10ft apart. i used to have them pointing at sitting position now moved slightly forward meeting about 2 to 3ft in front of listening position. sounds a bit better than straight at me.View attachment 2397
How about flipping the room? Settee on left wall, speakers on right wall on either side of presumably what is the chimney breast. Positioning is everything. You may find a difference (positive/negative), but worth a try.

D

Deleted member 160668

Bad.......
Nothing much will work well in a corner. Suggest you get speaker stands and a pair of Arcaydis EB2s, these are sealed-box type large standmounts and are their version of my EB Acoustics EB2
If you ever want to move these on 😉. I'd prob be interested.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts