speakers

andybebbs

Apr 30, 2020
Visit site
I know this been asked before but here it goes i`m not enjoying my Kef Q550 speakers as much as i thought and i am thinking maybe its time to audition some new ones. My room is 4m long x 3m wide x 3m high and the speakers need to go close to the wall, no other option so will need to be front ported/down word port or closed speakers. I enjoy lots of different types of music from dub/reggae to rock/guitar/soul jazz just about most sorts really. I like a warm sound and not keen on over bright/toppy speakers hence why i am not enjoying my Kefs find them a bit harsh at the top end and give me a head ache after about 30 mins listening.
Been looking at the wharfedale evo 4.3 or 4.4 so far but not got much further than that. My amp is a rega elicit-r which is rated at 105w into 8ohms. want floor standing speakers.
Thanks
Andy

Last edited:
I would suggest the Dalis, just because they are rear ported, does not necessarily mean they will not work well close to a rear wall and there aren't a lot of sealed box floorstanders around.
the Focal Chora 816 might suit.

CheshirePete

Oct 12, 2020
Visit site
Try to audition Dali Oberon 5

I auditioned a pair of these via Amazon, there was just a hint of brightness that wasn't too my taste ... bearing in mind I think I have quite a sensitive ear.

I am even finding the Evo 4.2's I recently acquired just a little fatiguing, could be my class D amplifier ... who knows? I have purchased a Kandy K2 power amp from Ebay and am going to give that a try .... and then maybe a Minidsp device.

The journey continues.

Reactions: andybebbs

andybebbs

Apr 30, 2020
Visit site
just popped in Audio T to pick up my raga amp from repair and asked what would be a good match and they suggested ATC /acoustic energy or pmc and the latter is well out of my price range.

I auditioned a pair of these via Amazon, there was just a hint of brightness that wasn't too my taste ... bearing in mind I think I have quite a sensitive ear.

I am even finding the Evo 4.2's I recently acquired just a little fatiguing, could be my class D amplifier ... who knows? I have purchased a Kandy K2 power amp from Ebay and am going to give that a try .... and then maybe a Minidsp device.

The journey continues.
How do you audition via Amazon?

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
You've got a Rega amp, may as well go with a Rega speaker!
Assuming you want to hear what was produced in the recording studio.
If you don't like happened in the recording studio, perhaps keep clear. They will expose everything!!

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
Audio T have no problems getting Rega speakers.

Now, I'm not one that knows what warm, bright, or any other terms mean.
So, I looked it up.
Now assuming what I read is right (I'm not convinced), I'd put the RX3 (as an example) somewhere between warm and bright.
Thumpy bass- No
Fantastic with vocals- Yes
So that makes these speakers both warm and not warm. You decide!!!

Detailed- Yes
Ability to reveal the annoying nuances of records- Yes (it's called a real speaker that portrays reality)
Good with acoustics- Yes

Now strangely, this means bright.
But, your dealer suggested ATC. Well they are famed for being accurate. So that must make ATC speakers bright?

So ignoring warm and bright. The RX3s sound as I have recorded above.
Fantastic with vocals, and pretty good at revealing things the artist may wish he/ she had improved upon before sending the master off to the publisher. If the guitar sounds rubbish, the speaker sounds rubbish.
Nothing seems to get priority over the other. Those instruments clearly designed to be heard, can be heard. But the backing instruments also reveal themselves just right.
Oh, and combined with the Saturn and Elicit, they sound fun when the song calls for it.

But- If you want your insides pounded by arguably fake levels of bass, then these are not for you.
Also, if say a guitar starts screaching, these speakers may not appreciate it.

So, I can't pigeon hole these speakers into a specific category for you. They are accurate speakers, that particularly like amazing vocalists.

I have Amazon Prime so I ordered the speakers and of course you are entitled to return the goods as long as they are undamaged and you have retained the packaging (I think within 28 days)

With AP, when you return items they will also collect the speakers from your door at no additional cost.
That's good to know. Wonder how many ex demo speakers they will put up for future buyers..... :)

Speaker positions
I agree with Al that corners are a problem, and that smaller stand-mount speakers will be easier from which to achieve a balanced sound.
Can Audio T lend you anything in your price range? Acoustic Energy are the most affordable. PMC are way overpriced imo, and ATC are ideal as they are sealed box designs that tolerate close to wall placement - they’re superbly engineered, and UK made, and hence not cheap. Their smallest will be £950 from 1 May.
The AE109 or larger 120 are in budget, and great value. They have a slotted port and can be within 6” of the boundary according to the manual. It’s a bolder move, but the AE1 active, with your amp in px, might be ideal. But a learning curve required and a home demo vital, as normally they’d want more breathing space. .

Bumrah

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
I have had both Rega R3's (originals) and now Dali Oberon 5's. Rega's are wonderful for vocals and very revealing but the Dali's are a league above in all areas. I have mine pretty close the wall (20cm) albeit not in a corner. They don't sound too boomy so i wouldn't be put off by them. They advise to have them between 15 and 80cm i think.

Reactions: Al ears
I have had both Rega R3's (originals) and now Dali Oberon 5's. Rega's are wonderful for vocals and very revealing but the Dali's are a league above in all areas. I have mine pretty close the wall (20cm) albeit not in a corner. They don't sound too boomy so i wouldn't be put off by them. They advise to have them between 15 and 80cm i think.
not too sure why he would be worried about going he's got a subwoofer stuffed in th ere to..... :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts