Speakers under 1 grand ultimate in bass and soundstage...

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
Hey guys looking for new speakers for a new room. Ideally compact floorstanders or standmount (price must consider stands). Under a grand (includes any second hand deals you could think of) and if floorstander must be under a metre tall. Any suggestions. I had Neat motive 2 but a problem occured and i have the chance to change. If no suggestions i will return to neat motive 1 which i can get for under a grand but have heard they are extremely similar to the 2 (no bad thing but want better sound). I prioritise bass and soundstage over things like detail and speed.

A

Anonymous

Unfortunately the words 'compact' and 'ultimate bass' don't fit together so well. How big is your room? If you are willing to give a little ont he size aspect then I'd reccomend looking around for a second hand pair of Monitor Audio GR 60's which you should probably get for under a grand. Or even the upgraded GS 60's, but the probability of getting change from a grand on a pair of those is far less likely. I own the GR 20's and I can tell you first hand the bass is amazing - but they are pretty big speakers.

check out the dimensions at www.monitoraudio.co.uk

A

Anonymous

oh and you may want to check this auction out:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Monitor-Audio-GS10-Speakers-Black-BRAND-NEW_W0QQitemZ200229105269QQihZ010QQcategoryZ14991QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
Sorry i do realise that small and big bass do not usually go together. When i ask for really good bass i am speaking comparitivly (for smallish speakers). Thanks for the suggestions though. Ive heard the gs20s and wasnt too impressed ended up with neat motive 2. Once again thanks!

A

Anonymous

I will keep banging on about the Dynaudio Focus 110's, they are compact and under a grand new.
As for their bass i find it just right for my musical tastes but when used when watching films they do lack a little boom.

A

Anonymous

wow, just stumbled across this on ebay - B&W Nautilus 805S for under a grand inc postage see here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Consumer-Electronics_Home-Audio-Hi-Fi__B-W-805N-Nautilus-High-End-loudspeakers_W0QQitemZ260244716183QQddnZConsumerQ20ElectronicsQQadnZHomeQ20AudioQ20Q26Q20HiQ2dFiQQddiZ3821QQadiZ2258QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item260244716183&_trkparms=72%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

A

Anonymous

It depends on what you mean by "good bass". I expect you means "lots of bass, mate", but if you want good bass an active speaker where the amp is connected directly to the drive unit is my preference due to the higher damping factor, which results in much more articulate and controlled bass.

In regards to soundstage it is much improved by using active crossovers:

I enclose a quote from an article:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/Magazine/manufacture/0403/

"... an active loudspeaker will have a large stable sound field with stable imaging and source location. Very difficult and costly to achieve with a passive loudspeaker system."
So my opinion is that active speakers will give you better bass and better soundstage. It is achievable for £1000 too - easily. In fact, the AVI ADM9 are a whole system for £1k, so by the time you've sold you other amps etc you'll have plenty left over.

Darren

A

Anonymous

Proac studio 110 + stands for less than a grand. Superb all round speaker with well defined bass and great detail. Absolutely worth an audition. Dyn focus 110 very good too but with stands would be slightly over budget. I'd say these are more fussy in terms of positioning than the proacs and may sound thin if brought out into the room too much. Also worth considering are the ATC SCM11's which I haven't heard but are very well reviewed and apparently produce fantastic taut bass. Good luck!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts