Speakers- to toe or not to toe? That is the question!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

simon3102000

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Got an inch toe in on mine, played around with positioning a fair bit but this sounds the best, also tryed different distances from the back walls and they are about 6inches away, any nearer and the bass is to muffled and ruins the music. I dont think toe in looks ugly? Mind you my speakers are about 2metres apart so you cant notice the toe in to much.

jiggyjoe

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Toe in usually brightens the sound slightly as you are listening more on the drive units axis.

A good way to explain this is to say the treble and upper midrange behave like a beam of light from a torch if you point it straight at you its bright, point it away not so bright.

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
pwiles1968:
I have my 805's toed in, gives a very solid central image that is about 6ft tall nice. Unfortunatley reading this now I cant help wondering if I changed them a little I may get a slightly wider stage .....................

Must resist the temptation to play ...... must resist ... must ..

Gone and done it reduced the toe in only 5 or 10 degrees now,think I may have a tad more width to the stage cant detect any loss in the centre, Got Jazz at the Pawnshop on Now only time will tell if I like it more.

A

Anonymous

pwiles1968:pwiles1968:

I have my 805's toed in, gives a very solid central image that is about 6ft tall nice. Unfortunatley reading this now I cant help wondering if I changed them a little I may get a slightly wider stage .....................

Must resist the temptation to play ...... must resist ... must ..

Gone and done it reduced the toe in only 5 or 10 degrees now,think I may have a tad more width to the stage cant detect any loss in the centre, Got Jazz at the Pawnshop on Now only time will tell if I like it more.

Paul - at least this bit of "improving" has'nt cost you any money!!
emotion-2.gif
That can be the 'down side' when we read some of the threads on here, we get a
emotion-55.gif
idea which invariably leads to an exercising of our plastic pal
emotion-8.gif
and trouble when the other half finds out!
emotion-9.gif

Nick

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts