Speakers to put in retro sideboard

monoman

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
I have a 1960's sideboard in my living room that has the tv on top of it. At either end (it is about 130 cm wide) there are cupboards (with a closed back). I was thinking of getting a pair of speakers to put one each in the right and left cupboards so when I want to listen to music I can open up the doors to reveal the speakers. I guess for convenience, powered + wireless speakers would be easiest. Any thoughts on how much the sound (if at all) would be affected by simply placing speakers in these cupboards. For example, should they be rear ported or not? Could also link them to my tv for some bigger sound when needed. Initially thinking of Q Acoustics BT3 or Ruark MR1's...

Bad idea I feel.

I don't think you are going to find any speaker that is going to sounds it's best from inside a flimsy box like a cupboard. Most speakers (wall or ceiling mounted units aside) are designed to work best in free space. If you do go ahead I would suggest you look for a sealed-box design and you certainly do not want rear ported.

Agree with Al - bad idea. Think about it: A speaker is housed in a wooden box specifically designed to make the most of the drivers. Putting the speaker inside a sideboard you are effectively giving it TWO wooden boxes, and this will have a serious impact on the SQ.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Maybe an knteresting experiment? Have you a simple stereo to try? Try speakers on top and then inside the cupboard to see how the speakers sound? Could u get away with (closed box spaekers) moved forward proud of the cupboard during listening? Dunno??

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
monoman said:
I have a 1960's sideboard in my living room that has the tv on top of it. At either end (it is about 130 cm wide) there are cupboards (with a closed back). I was thinking of getting a pair of speakers to put one each in the right and left cupboards so when I want to listen to music I can open up the doors to reveal the speakers. I guess for convenience, powered + wireless speakers would be easiest. Any thoughts on how much the sound (if at all) would be affected by simply placing speakers in these cupboards. For example, should they be rear ported or not? Could also link them to my tv for some bigger sound when needed. Initially thinking of Q Acoustics BT3 or Ruark MR1's...

I suggest you experiment first with some inexpensive, sealed pair of speakers (no ports at all).

Look on ebay for JPW Sonatas or similar. If the idea fails then you can sell them without much loss.

Like chebby says you could source some cheap sealed-box types and try it (Sonatas good choice). If unsatisfactory you will lose very little.

If you think it works OK then good luck in trying to find some sealed-box / powered / bluetooth speakers (not my speciality but I can't think of any).

Or the OP could look at a more whacky method. Carefully cut a whole out in each sideboard door and buy some DIY drivers and locate straight into the door. However, you'll need some woodwork experience and a good imagination. At least the sideboard would act as the speaker cabinet.

plastic penguin said:
Or the OP could look at a more whacky method. Carefully cut a whole out in each sideboard door and buy some DIY drivers and locate straight into the door. However, you'll need some woodwork experience and a good imagination. At least the sideboard would act as the speaker cabinet.

A very boomy speaker cabinet I feel. However he could remove the back panel of sideboard and he'd have an infinite-baffle
regular_smile.gif

He'd still have to figure out how to integrate amps and a blu-tooth unit though.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I know someone who has done something similar. It sounds OK, but kind of negates the quality if the amp and speakers he has. Doesn't even have the tweeters anywhere near ear level (higher than ear level even when standing up). Naturally, despite the quality of the kit of took it upon myself ban him from the audiophile club.

ID. said:
I know someone who has done something similar. It sounds OK, but kind of negates the quality if the amp and speakers he has. Doesn't even have the tweeters anywhere near ear level (higher than ear level even when standing up). Naturally, despite the quality of the kit of took it upon myself ban him from the audiophile club.

Having been ejected from one club do I take it he has since taken out an annual subscription to the 'Woodworkers 'R Us' magazine?
teeth_smile.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts