Speakers to partner Rotel RA-06SE and Rotel RCD-06SE

groovemachine

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Looking for a decent speaker to go with the aforementioned. I've tried them with Monitor Audio BX5's and they sounded great.

But before I make the purchase, any other recommendations would be appreciated.

I don't want to spend over £500 if possible.

Cheers!

:)

groovemachine said:
Hi Guys,

Looking for a decent speaker to go with the aforementioned. I've tried them with Monitor Audio BX5's and they sounded great.

Cheers!

Hi groovemachine

Other then Monitor Audio's BX5's then as CnE has also suggested Dynaudio's DM 2/6 or DM 2/7 speakers are also worth serious consideration for use with your Rotel electronics.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

If its a floorstander your after i would say the BX5 is the logical choice under £500.00 new.

groovemachine

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys,

Thanks for that information. As im still a relative novice when it comes to separates that is very useful to know. Particularly to know which ones are known to work best.

Does anyone know of speaker cables that work especially well with Rotel? Hopefully at a reasonable price :)

Cheers,

Andrew

groovemachine said:
Hi guys,

Thanks for that information. As im still a relative novice when it comes to separates that is very useful to know. Particularly to know which ones are known to work best.

Does anyone know of speaker cables that work especially well with Rotel? Hopefully at a reasonable price :)

Cheers,

Andrew

A good quality copper cable. My Chord SilverScreen works well with most systems, and I'm sure others have a vaster knowledge when it comes to cables.

groovemachine said:
Hi guys,

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi Andrew

Have you already got an interconnect and speaker cables? If so, what are they?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
groovemachine said:
Hi Guys,

Cheers!

What sort of volume are you after? Low to average levels? Or do you like to turn the wick up when the mood takes you?

groovemachine

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Hi Rick,

I am in the process of building my first hi-fi so I haven't actually purchased proper interconnect and speaker cables yet. Ive bought the Rotels and Im still deciding on the speakers.

Cheers,

Andrew

groovemachine said:
Hi Plasticpenguin,

What B&W speaker models should I be considering?

Cheers,

Andrew

You are looking at 683, CM7 but these will take you a little over your budget. In terms of standmounted monitors 685, CM1s. Alternatively, floorstanders such as Focal 714V (again a little over budget).

Personally I'd avoid MA Silver range such as RS6 or RX6: Heard the former with the original RA-06 and in some respects sounded impressive: Tight, agile, bass but they didn't gel well together. To my ears the Rotel will benefit from neutral to smooth sounding speakers - the ideal compromise is the B&Ws.

That said, if you like the BX5s with the 06, try and get them on a home trial. After two or three days of listening it should tell you whether they're suited to your ears (and system) or not.

Good luck, pp

groovemachine said:
Hi Rick,

I am in the process of building my first hi-fi so I haven't actually purchased proper interconnect and speaker cables yet. Ive bought the Rotels and Im still deciding on the speakers.

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi Andrew

Thanks for your reply.

At the moment i'll recommend that you should consider using a basic interconnect and standard 79 strand OFC or at a push 500 strand OFC speaker cables. You should also be able to find these cables at local electrical stores.

Fwiw, as i write the system playing in the background includes a QBD76 DAC > basic RCA - RCA interconnect > Hiato amplifier > 500 strand OFC speakers cables > GX200 speakers.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

groovemachine

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks again to Rick and PP.

Just another quick question for you: -

Would you recommend floorstander or bookshelf size speakers for a room that is 12ft x 16.5ft. The seating is approximately 8ft away from where the speakers will be.

Cheers,

Andrew

groovemachine said:

Would you recommend floorstander or bookshelf size speakers for a room that is 12ft x 16.5ft. The seating is approximately 8ft away from where the speakers will be.

Cheers,

Andrew

Really depends how far from the wall the speakers sit. Currently my RS6s are approx 12" and we sit around 8-9' away. If they are minimum of 12" then either. Do you prefer deep bass and scale? or do your tastes err towards agility and slightly less coloured sound? If the latter then definitely standmounted.

Edit - just to point out my recommendations are not set in stone, and down to my own ears and room acoustics.

groovemachine said:

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi Andrew

Your welcome.

I think the best thing to do is to have a listen to floorstanding speakers such as the BX5's in your own room. Btw, please also try and audition bookshelf speakers such as Dynaudio's superb DM 2/6's and DM 2/7's as i and my clients have found their tonal presentation also works a treat with Rotel electronics.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

groovemachine

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Hi Rick,

I think I'll give the Dynaudio's a whirl. It may not be until the new year now when I can make the purchase but I'll let you know what I go with in the end. For now Im going to be connecting an old set of Mission 731i's that someone gave to me.

Cheers,

Andrew

groovemachine

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Hi Rick,

Also, on another note, what's the tonal differences between the Dynaudio 2/6 and 2/7? Are they differing woods or internal components?

Cheers,

Andrew

groovemachine said:
Hi Rick,

I think I'll give the Dynaudio's a whirl. It may not be until the new year now when I can make the purchase but I'll let you know what I go with in the end. For now Im going to be connecting an old set of Mission 731i's that someone gave to me.

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi Andrew

Nice one and fair enough :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

groovemachine said:
Hi Rick,

Also, on another note, what's the tonal differences between the Dynaudio 2/6 and 2/7? Are they differing woods or internal components?

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi Andrew

The main differences between the two models are that the DM 2/7's have a larger cabinet and a bigger mid/bass unit. Anyway i'd say the DM 2/7's build on the strenghts of the DM 2/6's in areas such as having an even firmer and deeper bass, greater scale, depth, dynamics, a clearer midrange, better power handling etc.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts