Speakers to match with Technics SU-G700m2

Jul 9, 2023
Visit site
Dear audiophiles,

I recently acquired Technics SU-G700m2 and use it with Totem Arro. I would like to get bigger / better speakers to bring the best out of this amp.

What speakers would you say are a good match with this amplifier? I was thinking of buying Cantons, would it be a good match? What other speakers would be a good match?

Thank you.

Dear audiophiles,

I recently acquired Technics SU-G700m2 and use it with Totem Arro. I would like to get bigger / better speakers to bring the best out of this amp.

What speakers would you say are a good match with this amplifier? I was thinking of buying Cantons, would it be a good match? What other speakers would be a good match?

Thank you.
Once again the question as to matching speakers to an amp.
You don't do this, you get speakers that suit your room..... And we have no idea as to its size.
The specs of your amp suggest it will drive a vast array of speakers but only you can determine if those speakers work well in your listening room.
Bigger does not always equate to better.
Go audition as many as you can.
What exactly was missing with the Arros?

Jul 9, 2023
Visit site
You don't do this, you get speakers that suit your room..... And we have no idea as to its size.
The specs of your amp suggest it will drive a vast array of speakers but only you can determine if those speakers work well in your listening room.
The Arros sound decent but not outstanding. I think I can get better sound with higher end speakers. Plus I have a set of 5 (with center and 2 satelities) which used to be a home theatre setup, which I no longer want and I'm going to sell Arros and get just to 2 speakers instead of 5.

The Arros sound decent but not outstanding. I think I can get better sound with higher end speakers. Plus I have a set of 5 (with center and 2 satelities) which used to be a home theatre setup, which I no longer want and I'm going to sell Arros and get just to 2 speakers instead of 5.
Sorry, can you clarify why these other speakers are relevant here?
What mafe you plump for Cantons? Have you auditioned any?
Budget!

Jul 9, 2023
Visit site
I have not auditioned any speakers yet. I'm looking for a good match between the amp and speakers, from the experience of those have the same amp. My budget is 5-6k EUR. Thanks.

manicm

To disregard speaker and amp matching as well is just wrong, sorry.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
For that sort of budget the worlds your oyster. I’d probably say the budget is a bit rich for that particular amp I think id be looking in the 3-4k range if not a little lower.

Id have a look at the review from Andrew Robinson on YouTube he often gives very clear reasons for speaker choice for the particular brand.

Think he used klipsch kef and b&w in the review don’t quote me on that though.

I’m not really familiar the technics sound and unfortunately I don’t think many are around these parts. I’d heavily suggest finding a really good dealer even if it’s far away and having a listen. If your spending 5k what’s another ton on a train ticket.

Reactions: AudioConnoisseur
Jul 9, 2023
Visit site
For that sort of budget the worlds your oyster. I’d probably say the budget is a bit rich for that particular amp I think id be looking in the 3-4k range if not a little lower.

Id have a look at the review from Andrew Robinson on YouTube he often gives very clear reasons for speaker choice for the particular brand.

Think he used klipsch kef and b&w in the review don’t quote me on that though.

I’m not really familiar the technics sound and unfortunately I don’t think many are around these parts. I’d heavily suggest finding a really good dealer even if it’s far away and having a listen. If your spending 5k what’s another ton on a train ticket.
Thanks, much appreciate your feedback. Problem is that I don't have access to a dealer which has this amp model, therefore I arrange a listening session. I'm in Hong Kong and the closest is in New Zealand. Hence the question about the experience of others.

Thanks, much appreciate your feedback. Problem is that I don't have access to a dealer which has this amp model, therefore I arrange a listening session. I'm in Hong Kong and the closest is in New Zealand. Hence the question about the experience of others.
I don't know anyone on this forum that has that amp.
You need to find a dealer, and there must be plenty in Hong Kong, that will let you audition speakers at home.

To disregard speaker and amp matching as well is just wrong, sorry.
it's not totally disregarding. His amplifier is capable of driving a huge range of speakers so matching to the amp is not as critical as making sure the speakers work well in his room. This is assuming his amp is pretty neutral which I believe it is.
He seems happy enough with the amp and if he has been running it with the Totems so it cannot be overly bright, if indeed an amp can be that, if it is you have the wrong amp.
However, the question was regarding speakers.
If the amp was a low output tube SET then obviously this would be pertinent and more critical.
Could you clarify your comment?

Reactions: manicm

roaduck

Jun 26, 2023
Visit site
Personally I would get some speakers closer to home - there are quite a few Australian high-end speaker manufacturers that would give the TOTR Kef`s etc some very very serious competition.
ATC loudspeakers were Australian conceived and designed.

ATC loudspeakers were Australian conceived and designed.
Well, the late Billy Woodman was indeed originally from Australia. But I think they are essentially sound British engineering with a studio background.

To @AudioConnoisseur what brands are sold in Hong Kong these days? And are you in a tiny apartment or more spacious surroundings? A picture might help.

Reactions: WayneKerr

roaduck

Jun 26, 2023
Visit site
Mmm I have had to come home to NW England to a 3-bed terrace through long term illness.I haven`t even got the space for decent speakers or an AVR downstairs and upstairs is a mess.
My current system is not brilliant.

I don`t know what brands are in Vogue in HK and Macau these days
I used to sell top notch kit in China but that was 30 years ago.I used to see a couple of millionaires a week at least and sometimes it would take a couple of days to do the install - me routing skirting boards,hiding wires mainly, installing bass traps and industrial and uninterruptable power supplies and mains conditioners etc.Doing soak tests - taming and tweaking and getting a knackered back moving 7 foot high speakers - mad but fun.

I love playing my tenor sax nowadays and jamming and busking when I`m able.

My favourite hobby now is cooking plus forging the occasional Asian knife and I love sharpening knives.

I sold all these and more -

Dynaudio - even the Consequence
Sugden pre/power
Gryphon pre/power
Grant pre/power
Electrocompaniet
Mark Levinson
Pass Labs
Ravel
Wilson
Goldmund Reference
Lavardin
Nakamichi
Revox
Tandberg
Uher
Neal
Magnepan
Kiseki - lapis lazuli
Krell
Nagra
Otari
Linn
Meridian
Naim
VTL
Accuphase
Luxman
YBA
Mcintosh
Van den Hul
SME
YBA
Koetsu
dCS
AT
Osborn
Classe audio
NVA
Zeta
ADI
Elac
Proac
PMC
Adam
Audio Note
Eumig
MBL - Reference
Kuzma
Focal
Cabasse
Sonus Faber
Precide
Zanden
Amphion
Living Voice
Karan acoustics
Vincent

Those are just the brands I remember plus I sold bespoke Chinese one-offs made by old craftsmen.
Some of the clientele could afford to import anything and were willing to wait 2 or3 years for a component.

Mmm I have had to come home to NW England to a 3-bed terrace through long term illness.I haven`t even got the space for decent speakers or an AVR downstairs and upstairs is a mess.
My current system is not brilliant.

I don`t know what brands are in Vogue in HK and Macau these days
I used to sell top notch kit in China but that was 30 years ago.I used to see a couple of millionaires a week at least and sometimes it would take a couple of days to do the install - me routing skirting boards,hiding wires mainly, installing bass traps and industrial and uninterruptable power supplies and mains conditioners etc.Doing soak tests - taming and tweaking and getting a knackered back moving 7 foot high speakers - mad but fun.

I love playing my tenor sax nowadays and jamming and busking when I`m able.

My favourite hobby now is cooking plus forging the occasional Asian knife and I love sharpening knives.

I sold all these and more -

Dynaudio - even the Consequence
Sugden pre/power
Gryphon pre/power
Grant pre/power
Electrocompaniet
Mark Levinson
Pass Labs
Ravel
Wilson
Goldmund Reference
Lavardin
Nakamichi
Revox
Tandberg
Uher
Neal
Magnepan
Kiseki - lapis lazuli
Krell
Nagra
Otari
Linn
Meridian
Naim
VTL
Accuphase
Luxman
YBA
Mcintosh
Van den Hul
SME
YBA
Koetsu
dCS
AT
Osborn
Classe audio
NVA
Zeta
ADI
Elac
Proac
PMC
Adam
Audio Note
Eumig
MBL - Reference
Kuzma
Focal
Cabasse
Sonus Faber
Precide
Zanden
Amphion
Living Voice
Karan acoustics
Vincent

Those are just the brands I remember plus I sold bespoke Chinese one-offs made by old craftsmen.
Some of the clientele could afford to import anything and were willing to wait 2 or3 years for a component.
Please keep your answers pertinent to the OPs question, thanks

Reactions: roaduck

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts