Speakers to match Nait 5i or new system?

Poindy

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi would appreciate help with speakers for Nait 5i with naca5. Currently using Linn Helix 2 and Marantz 67se CDP. Find acoustic and well recorded blues to be great but dance and rock e.g. QOTSA fierce and unpleasant when turned up. Also sound doesn't really come out into the room or image as well as I'd hoped. So far i've tried PMC DB1 (very accurate mid but not especially nice- particularly disconnected insistent bass) N-sats (wonderful in many ways but too fierce) MA RS1 (ok maybe worth another try) Dynaudio Audience 42's (best so far but upper trebble e.g. cymbals almost disappeared. Really I think I like a certain amount of resolution but not so it makes my cd's sound unpleasant loud.

Hope I'm suing the forum correctly any advice would be appreciated.

A

Anonymous

Neat motive 2, although you cant really crank them up. I have the neat motive one and dance (house) sounds particularly good!

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
What you are experiencing might be in some ways due to the limited power output of the Nait 5i. This is why the Rega speakers, which are designed to be easy to drive and rather high in sensitivity, tend to sound very well with the Nait 5i. Having a paper cone also helps, ensuring high damping factor.

Or you just might not like the Nait 5i after all.

Poindy

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for replies.

Your responses make me think of moving the Nait to the kitchen/dining room with wall mounted speakers where big volumes would mostly not be required and hence limited power less of an issue. Motive 3's would maybe work like that I hope. Forgot that I did try the smallest Rega and found them quite odd. Hard to describe- biscuity middle. Think in that area of the house a more politely communicative sound would work better and I could look for a big smooth bruiser (maybe japanese) amp to go with the Helixes. I did have an Akai AM71 originally that sounded fantastic loud. Put a slight gloss on things but promoted enjoyment rather than the pleasure/stress/chin stroking mix that I'm currently getting!

Shortlist for the wallmount option would be:

Motive 3's

Spendor ?

Dynaudio recent releases?

Any thoughts? Thinking the spendors might sweeten the Nait up a little bit. Thanks.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Poindy:.....N-sats (wonderful in many ways but too fierce)

I would have had a similar description the day I got mine. (So cold from the van that condensation was forming!)

Despite being 'used' when I bought them, they were totally mint and the dealer suspected they had never actually been used. (The packaging was pristine too.) So I suspect I am running-in the speakers instead of the original owner.

Three months later (and about 8 hours a day/7 days a week usage on average) the bass has developed nicely - something I actually never expected after going from Rega R3 floorstanders - and the phenomenal mids/voice/presence range has become quite spookily 'real' with live instrumental broadcasts on BBC FM for instance.

I don't think a quick demo of N-Sats will ever do them justice. Try and hear the oldest, most run-in pair the dealer has in the shop.

(This does not stop me craving for a pair of harbeth P3ESR's though. and a lot of Harbeth/Nait 5i users report excellent results.)

Bear in mind with my comments that my N-Sats cost me £450 (mint, used with 12 month Naim dealer warranty) rather than £790 new. This may affect my 'perceived value for money'.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
batonwielder:What you are experiencing might be in some ways due to the limited power output of the Nait 5i.

Doubtful.

Limited compared to what? I have heard a naimuniti (based on 5i) driving a pair of PMC GB1s to very 'healthy' volume levels, very cleanly.

Poindy

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for above responses. Perhaps second hand would be the best way to go with N-sats! The ones I listened to were outstanding in terms of bass and projection but like I say unpleasantly fierce- especially with pop. With a growing family it all needs to sound good!

Think chebby is probably right about the lack of power- the Helixes are pretty efficient. It doesn't sound like the amp is struggling (I don't think) just tonally harsh in the upper mid/lower treble. Not that I claim to be an expert. Certainly the best speakers I heard with it so far were the dyn 42's but like I say the cymbals almost disappeared. Other than that they were really nice excluding the duff aesthetics, although I'd live with that if the sound was right. The mid and bass was especially nice- unfortunately didn't project into the room, but didn't chew your head off either!

Thanks again folks it's great to get some different views.

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
In that case, I think you will enjoy the Spendor's with Naim. It balances out to be a very clean and liquid sounding match playing to each other's strengths.

I haven't heard the Neat speakers, but they also seem to be a favorite with Naim for excitement and punch.

Poindy

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
Mmm Great. Sounds like I need to hear both of those. I'll also check back with my dealer that the n-sats were well run in. If no I have three to hear and if it's still not working the Nait will have to go. At least they hold some value and I have kept all the docs etc pristine. Sad to see it go as it kind of hints at greatness!

Maybe this is a topic for another post but shouldn't a really good amp sound good with almost any speaker? Almost feels like I'm trying to correct it's faults. My friend has a MC2 (studio amplifier) and it sounds big and clean with anything on the end of it.

Thanks again gents ( i assume :))

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
When I demoed the Uniti last week with my Quad 12L2's I took advantage of the facilities and played at a very healthy volume, much healthier than I would be able to get away with at home. No problems at all.

However, I've been intrigued by the EB Acoustic EB1's so have ordered a pair which should arrive about the same time as my new Uniti. Can't wait to get that combination up and running, but if they don't work out I can always return them and get my money back. From what I've read however I do expect them to work well together, I'll keep you posted.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I never used to 'get' the Naim thing until early last year.

Occasional (but regular) exposure to various Linn/Naim systems (dealers, shows, friends systems etc.) over the last 30 years convinced me they were harsh, headache inducing, and largely mono sounding and owned by fanatics.

It never even occurred to me that they could perform well at anything other than VERY LOUD volume levels because that is how everyone played them. The trademark of the Linn/Naim demo was always someone shouting over the music (usually Dire Straits or some godawful Linn or Naim demo disc) telling you how great it was!

The worst was a bi-amped pair of Linn Saras with NAP 250s and (of course) the inevitible Sondek/Ittok/Troika. The bass was like someone panel beating metal sheets, and when the guy produced his copy of 'Telegraph road' and turned the volume up I had to run away feigning illness or a forgotten appointment or something. (He was a 'shouter' too and delighted in giving loud running commentaries on how amazing it was!)

Second worst Naim experience was in the small cellar/crypt-like demo room at the (now defunct) Chichester Hifi. Listening to Robert Palmer playing on an original Nait with Linn Kans and a Linn Sondek. Needless to say, the proprietor (a nice guy called Rob) was shouting over it at us and in such a tiny space it was terrible. I went upstairs leaving my friend (who was buying that day) and hung around upstairs listening to something more pleasant playing on a Quad/Heybrook system.

Not suprisingly all this coloured my opinion of Naim for a very long time. (Even up until a couple of years ago when I first heard the Nait 5i/CD5i).

I finally lost my pre-conditioned responses after hearing the Nait XS and then getting a home demo of my current system. (With my old Rega R3's)

The Nait XS is fuller and fatter and warmer and a tad smoother so maybe you would be best trying that out with your speakers. (I first heard the Nait XS - accidently - with a pair of Rega RS1s and a CD5X and they sounded splendid together.)
I can empathise with people who assume Naim is harsh but I am certain the modern Naits (5i and XS) are far smoother, more pleasant and more musical. I rarely play anything really loud, never play Dire Straits, and never shout at people over the music.

(Not a fanatic either given that I aspire to all non-Naim equipment - if I am ever wealthy enough - and have no Naim upgrade path planned at all.)

A

Anonymous

I would suggest trying the Spendor SA1 or S3/5R with them. The latter will sound a bit easier going but doesn't have the same hunger for detail or bass definition.

A

Anonymous

I am going through a similar conundrum at the moment.

I have just bought a NaimUniti and am running it with Neat Motive 3's it is a wonderful combination and doesn't have a problem getting to inappropriately loud levels (I am currently using it in a small apartment that I use whilst working abroad) whilst retaining a revealing and non-harsh sound.

I tried the PMC (DB1,TB2 & FACT8) speakers and it was horrible, very harsh and unrelenting, in fact, listening to some BlackEyedPeas was really uncomfortable, as it was for some of my more esoteric latin music.

The speakers that I will get for my home system are likely to be either Guru QM10's which I have heard with a couple of Naim systems and seem to be a perfect match, or Neat Motive 2's or Momentums (based on listening so far) I still haven't auditioned Spendors and ATCs which everyone seems to rave about.

I'm only half way through my journey, so no conclusion yet, but this is where I am now.

A

Anonymous

I used to have the Dyn 42's with my Nait 5i and upgraded to Focus 110's. If you liked the 42's then the 110's are much more refined, detailed(without being overly analytical) with more bass(too much if they are placed wrongly), better imaging and sweeter treble too. They are very musical IMO and the mid-range is much better as well. The only problem you might have is with volume output, but the only way to find that out is to audition.

batonwielder:

In that case, I think you will enjoy the Spendor's with Naim. It balances out to be a very clean and liquid sounding match playing to each other's strengths.

I haven't heard the Neat speakers, but they also seem to be a favorite with Naim for excitement and punch.

When I recently heard Spendors SA-1 and A5 they were very good sounding with the Naim, however, for my tastes, they sounded slightly analytical. PMC DB1s would be my choice with the Naim.

Although not heard the Naim with Ruark, I think that may well be a fabulous alternative: the main benefit of the Sabre III's is can be located very close to a wall and not lose any stereo imaging; also boosts the bass depth without any booming.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:...the main benefit of the Sabre III's is can be located very close to a wall and not lose any stereo imaging; also boosts the bass depth without any booming.

That is suprising considering the Sabre III is a rear-ported design.

chebby:

plastic penguin:...the main benefit of the Sabre III's is can be located very close to a wall and not lose any stereo imaging; also boosts the bass depth without any booming.

That is suprising considering the Sabre III is a rear-ported design.

Mmmm, probably. The first time I heard them was in a Sevenoaks store about four years ago, away from the wall, they sounded good but lacked a little bottom-end oomph. The guy moved them about 8" or therabouts and the bass was very much broader, the imaging wasn't noticably dissolved. Although I would never recommend clamping them to a wall, like any speaker really.

rod1429

May 10, 2009
Visit site
I heard a pair of Dynaudio X16's on this combo a couple of wks ago & thought it sounded excellent (certainly worth a demo) also heard a pair of Spendor A5's which didn't have the same immediate impact however would expect they would sound better over a long listening period.

A

Anonymous

I'm using Proac Studio 110's with a Nait 5i-2 at the moment and am enjoying it.

Dance music comes across particular well.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts