Speakers - Rhythmic and soundstage->PMC or others?

mattmeer

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

Music for me has to be rhythmic. If it doesn't have rhythm, it doesn't swing for me.

Secondly, I like a well defined soundstage. If a singer seems to be in front of me, it creates the right vibe and atmosphere, this to me feels 'musical', combined with the catchy rhythm.

I don't need alot of detail or deep bass, enough to not miss bass lines but the room doesn't have to shake.

I have a rhythmic amplifier, the Rega Brio-R (for it's money). It creates an open soundstage and makes instruments and voices palpable for me. The soundstage is probably an important factor for the palpable feeling. The rhythm just makes it easy to follow the music and makes it swing and fun.

I have this combined with various sources including a turntable and such. My current speakers are the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1. These speakers are very rhythmic aswell, and have a decent soundstage, and on top of that cheap. I have tried different (and more expensive) speakers and floorstanders, such as Monitor Audio BR2's, Rega's own RS3 floorstanders, Sonus Fabers, but they miss this catchy rhythm and I keep coming back to the Wharfedale's.

I want to know which speaker brands are also very rhythmic and have this palpable soundstage?

Preferably floorstanders, since I am thinking about moving to floorstanders for cosmetic reasons. Do floorstanders have less soundstage and rhythm? One brand I am thinking of are PMC speakers, I have read from various sources they have an excellent realistic soundstage. But what about the rhythm? Should I scratch PMC of my list? PMC seems to be good with rock aswell, which is one of the main genres it will be playing.

A

Anonymous

The PMC GB1i's would work well I feel but for the Brio-R; Rega's own RS1's and RS5's need to be listened to

They really are superb speakers and Rega gels with it's own separates so well...

Other floorstanders to consider could be the M/A RX6's (heard these briefly with the Brio-R playing Sting via an iPhone and MF DAC and a Rega Apollo CDP and they sounded fantastic)

A

Anonymous

I'm in the same boat. So, I've tried:

RS3: no bottom end, at all.

RS5: some bottom end, but didn't make me smile

Totem Arro: nice, but sounded not great when turned up

I've also demo'd the PMC FB1i, but not with the Brio R. Tried these with Naim 5, Arcam Neo & some Linn thingy. Very impressive speakers. Will try to demo with the Brio R.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
mattmeer said:
Hi all,

Music for me has to be rhythmic. If it doesn't have rhythm, it doesn't swing for me.

Secondly, I like a well defined soundstage. If a singer seems to be in front of me, it creates the right vibe and atmosphere, this to me feels 'musical', combined with the catchy rhythm.

I don't need alot of detail or deep bass, enough to not miss bass lines but the room doesn't have to shake.

I have a rhythmic amplifier, the Rega Brio-R (for it's money). It creates an open soundstage and makes instruments and voices palpable for me. The soundstage is probably an important factor for the palpable feeling. The rhythm just makes it easy to follow the music and makes it swing and fun.

I have this combined with various sources including a turntable and such. My current speakers are the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1. These speakers are very rhythmic aswell, and have a decent soundstage, and on top of that cheap. I have tried different (and more expensive) speakers and floorstanders, such as Monitor Audio BR2's, Rega's own RS3 floorstanders, Sonus Fabers, but they miss this catchy rhythm and I keep coming back to the Wharfedale's.

I want to know which speaker brands are also very rhythmic and have this palpable soundstage?

Preferably floorstanders, since I am thinking about moving to floorstanders for cosmetic reasons. Do floorstanders have less soundstage and rhythm? One brand I am thinking of are PMC speakers, I have read from various sources they have an excellent realistic soundstage. But what about the rhythm? Should I scratch PMC of my list? PMC seems to be good with rock aswell, which is one of the main genres it will be playing.

PMC speaker will sound very good on the end of any good well balanced system and are as rhythmic as the music was when originally played.

Imaging is one of the many things PMC speakers do well , but very few if any include bass instruments in the image as well as a PMC speaker does .

There are many other good speakers to choose from but PMC is a very good place to start IMO
smiley-wink.gif

mattmeer said:
Hi all,

Apart from the GB1s which are fabulous. In terms of pure excitement you'll be hard pushed to beat Totem Arro. They are an aquired taste in the fact that they defy the laws of science: They are so small but bang as big as any floorstander below 1000 pounds.

These speakers are really special, if a little unnerving...;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts