Speakers near the wall

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello...I was just wondering if anyone could give me tips about speakers.I have a 45cm long cabinet and want to put speakers on it.Is it a disaster to put speakers so close to the wall ? Im guessing speakers(such as B and W 685) that I have been considering would only leave me 10-15cm to the wall .I have been told that the bass comes out near the front of these particular speakers so that is the advantage of them? Are there any speakers that anyone could suggest that are better for near wall mounting ?

Stands for us are totally unsuitable because we have 3 young children and also not that much space in the room...

scene

Hi, and welcome to the forums!
emotion-1.gif

Most speakers with rear ports are sensitive to being placed near to a wall, as the closer they are to the wall, the more the bass is emphasised. Some speakers are not, like the Monitor Audio BR2, which are very flexible in their placement. So avoid rear-ported speakers, and check on reviews as to what is said about placement.

As for putting them on a cabinet. I would try to avoid this, unless the speaker has an integral stand (say like a Kef Egg), or a specific table stand, as the cabinet will resonate with certain (low) frequencies and affect the sound. Also, if the cabinet houses your source (CD/BD/DVD player) you may adversely affect its performance.

Stand-mounters can often be mounted on a wall-bracket, which means that they are independent of the cabinet, can be out of harm's (i.e. kiddies') way and can be angled or tilted as required.

whiskywheels

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
My 685s are near rear and side walls, and each speaker is backed on to a different configuration of wall. They still sound superb to me. I guess you'll want to get speakers that are designed for the sort of placement you have in mind, but when you read the reviews, they all seem to need to be placed in the 'perfect room' LOL !!

Maybe just try the set up that suits you and see what it sounds like; one of my favourite set ups in another house was totally illogical and 'wrong' and included one speaker being on the floor behind a sofa to the left of my listening position. It sounded perfectly OK, even the 'soundstage'. Maybe I was lucky.

A

Anonymous

Thank you scene.Thats very useful advice

I will check out the Monitor Audio BR 2(It seems to be called BX2 in Poland)...Are there any other "flexible" speakers you would recommend for this price range or a little bit higher... ?

I have Arcam Alpha A Amp/Marantz CD5001 CD Player/Ariston Icon Turntable

tommyskins

May 9, 2009
Visit site
I would recommend you try the Rega RS1 a small compact speaker which is not fussy regarding placement. I switched from B&W 685 to these and think they are great especially close to walls.

Paul.

currypata:
Hello...I was just wondering if anyone could give me tips about speakers.I have a 45cm long cabinet and want to put speakers on it.Is it a disaster to put speakers so close to the wall ? Im guessing speakers(such as B and W 685) that I have been considering would only leave me 10-15cm to the wall .I have been told that the bass comes out near the front of these particular speakers so that is the advantage of them? Are there any speakers that anyone could suggest that are better for near wall mounting ?

Stands for us are totally unsuitable because we have 3 young children and also not that much space in the room...

Hi currypata

As Paul has also suggested Rega's RS1 are worth considering and if your budget allows ATC's SCM7. The SCM7's are closed box designs and are flat and honest which will helping with positioning them close to walls or wall mounting without the bass in particular getting itself into a twist.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts