Speakers making floppy/rattling sound at low frequencies

functious

Apr 17, 2021
Visit site
I have some Mordaunt Short MS20i Pearl Edition speakers which sound good, apart from the fact that when playing a track with very low frequencies they make a floppy/rattling sound which completely ruins it. What could potentially be causing this? Is it common for speakers to do this for bass frequencies that are out of their range?

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
Great speakers. Remember them fondly. Based on a Marshall design. I had mine for some time.

As to the rattle ... it may be a cable internally that flops around in tune with bass at high volumes or the driver has worked loose. Tape cables together internally or/and wrap them in foam. Tighten the wood screws.

It could be a damaged driver but I'd try the above first.

Are you playing a CD or LP? Records often produce subsonic noise that stresses amplifiers and speakers.
Your MS are pretty old aren’t they? Ported speakers aren’t well damped, and if you remove the front grille you can look at the cone movement and possible physical damage - like a rotting surround.

Reactions: Al ears and RoA

functious

Apr 17, 2021
Visit site
Are you playing a CD or LP? Records often produce subsonic noise that stresses amplifiers and speakers.
Your MS are pretty old aren’t they? Ported speakers aren’t well damped, and if you remove the front grille you can look at the cone movement and possible physical damage - like a rotting surround.

No I've only ever used them connected to my pc.

I can't notice any physical damage to speak of. I'm also getting the exact same issue with both speakers.

functious

Apr 17, 2021
Visit site
No I've only ever used them connected to my pc.

I can't notice any physical damage to speak of. I'm also getting the exact same issue with both speakers.

Actually I've had a closer look and the edge of the speaker cone appears to be loose and flapping around somewhat. How are these best secured down?

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS