Speakers less than 20cm wide that like cramped spaces?

Dazed and Confused

Sep 10, 2007
Visit site
Do they exist?

I'm trying to fit them between furniture. They'll have a wall behind them, a wall on one side, and a TV on the other. Can be either floorstanders or on stands (as long as they're less than 20cm wide too!).

Like to keep the price around £300 if possible.

Oh, and the room is huge, with 12 foot ceilings!

I know I'm asking the impossible - I'm just looking for the best compromise.

A

Anonymous

leema xero's would fit the bill, but I am sure alot more people will come along with suggestions too. Shouldn't be long....

matthewpiano

I would be looking for a sealed,infite-baffle design even if it means going down the second hand route.

What sort of music do you listen to and what equipment will you partner your new speakers with?

John Duncan

Tannoy Revolution R2 is 17cm wide, available for a pittance on the 'Bay, and comes complete with foam bung
emotion-2.gif

Dazed and Confused

Sep 10, 2007
Visit site
Thanks - so much, so fast!

They'll be used for everything really - just not at ear-splitting volumes.

The TV will run through them, but we're not movie-buffs, so this is secondary.

Main use is Sonos.

My wife listens to classical music in the background, as well as things like Joan Baez, Raising Sand, Beach Boys.

I like electronica - I love Fever Ray, William Orbit, and Zero 7 for example, and a bit of acoustic, and soft rock and pop for 'fun'.

We do not really need classical music at 'live' volumes, massive drum and bass, or heavy metal, but I would like a bit of weight to the sound.

My wife has a small pair of MA Radius bookshelf speakers, and likes their sound, but this room is much bigger.

We have a Musical Fidelity X10 amp, but I'm thinking of replacing that too as it's too deep. Can anyone recommend a good amp with a remote so I can have my Logitech switch sources when the TV comes on? (It's the only way i can think of to have my Sonos and Tv share the same speakers.) I leave it on permanently for the Sonos so power consumption when on but not playing music is a consideration. Again, around £300.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Dazed and Confused:
Thanks - so much, so fast!

They'll be used for everything really - just not at ear-splitting volumes.

The TV will run through them, but we're not movie-buffs, so this is secondary.

Main use is Sonos.

My wife listens to classical music in the background, as well as things like Joan Baez, Raising Sand, Beach Boys.

I like electronica - I love Fever Ray, William Orbit, and Zero 7 for example, and a bit of acoustic, and soft rock and pop for 'fun'.

We do not really need classical music at 'live' volumes, massive drum and bass, or heavy metal, but I would like a bit of weight to the sound.

My wife has a small pair of MA Radius bookshelf speakers, and likes their sound, but this room is much bigger.

We have a Musical Fidelity X10 amp, but I'm thinking of replacing that too as it's too deep. Can anyone recommend a good amp with a remote so I can have my Logitech switch sources when the TV comes on? (It's the only way i can think of to have my Sonos and Tv share the same speakers.) I leave it on permanently for the Sonos so power consumption when on but not playing music is a consideration. Again, around £300.

Problem is, cheaper speakers, especially small ones, sacrifice bass for more efficiency thus making them somewhat easier to partner with price equivelant amplifiers. There are a few mini speakers that do it the other way round, such as PMC, Totems and the like but they cost more.

Dazed and Confused

Sep 10, 2007
Visit site
I'm happy to go on ebay to get older stuff that fits the bill.

The problem is older stuff is often ugly, and I don't really know what I'm looking at.

Thinking about it, how much do you think I could sell an MF X10 amp, Tannoy F1s and Soundstyle Z2 stands for on ebay? Then add £500 or £600 on top of that, and you have my budget for speakers and amp. Either new or second hand.

Option 2 - I take amps and speakers that fit the bill off people on these forums who feel oppressed by having too much stuff. I am willing to do this for free, but please be aware that this is a one time only offer. Take advantage of it while you can!

T

the record spot

From personal experience, I think they'd probably need a bit of room to be at their best - you can never tell until you try, but mine sit in out in the room. On the other hand, they are front ported, so it may be workable; really need to try it out however.

John Duncan

Dazed and Confused:JohnDuncan, do you work for whathifi.com?

I work on the website, I'm not a part of the editorial team. All opinions are therefore my own and not that of the magazine.

Dazed and Confused:I thought you were a 'normal' person.

Schoolboy error.

Dazed and Confused:Oh, and if the speakers were pretty, that would be a bonus.

I think the R2s are gorgeous (and fit exactly how you describe your musical taste):

r2.jpg

Can't see any on eBay at the moment, but a pair of R3s went recently for 140 quid (bargain)

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Avi neutrons are about 15cm wide, not sure how they would do in a realy tigh space but quite close to a back wall should be fine, they are rear ported though.

TRENDING THREADS