Speakers left is right, right ?

alwaysbeblue1

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
Am I right in thinking that some speakers are or should be positioned left or right and if so does anyone know the reason behind this as it seems odd to me.

I don't mean making sure the left channel is conneted to the left speaker as intended, but a pair of stereo speakers one stamped left and one right

alwaysbeblue1 said:
Am I right in thinking that some speakers are or should be positioned left or right and if so does anyone know the reason behind this as it seems odd to me.

I don't mean making sure the left channel is conneted to the left speaker as intended, but a pair of stereo speakers one stamped left and one right

If they are marked as such then probably the speakers have offset drivers and are recommended to be used in this configuration.

Which speakers are you referring to?

gasolin

Right speaker

7533442_800.jpg

Left speaker

7533407_800.jpg

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
As others have mentioned, an offset tweeter is the usual reason.

I've seen it with a number of active monitors, but I also recall some Proac speakers.

alwaysbeblue1

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
Al ears said:
alwaysbeblue1 said:

If they are marked as such then probably the speakers have offset drivers and are recommended to be used in this configuration.

Spendor a6r

alwaysbeblue1

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
Al ears said:
alwaysbeblue1 said:

Spendor a6r

alwaysbeblue1 said:
Al ears said:
alwaysbeblue1 said:

Spendor a6r

No idea why with those as they are identical. As far as I was aware they aren't marked left and right. Where are they stamped?

alwaysbeblue1

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
Al ears said:
alwaysbeblue1 said:
Al ears said:
alwaysbeblue1 said:

Spendor a6r

No idea why with those as they are identical. As far as I was aware they aren't marked left and right. Where are they stamped?

I am sure it was in the instructions manual which o have lost.
Done some decorating and put them back not sure if in the right place.

It did say it I'm sure

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
ID. said:
And one could put "normal" speakers upside down or on their side if one preferred.

Indeed one could, although if the tweeter was designed with better dispersion in an upward direction, say, or narrower vertical dispersion than horizontal, one might find they sounded decidedly odd if used upside down or on their sides.

I was merely making the point that even if a pair of speakers is obviously 'handed', it doesn't mean there is a correct or incorrect way to use them.

spiny norman said:
ID. said:
And one could put "normal" speakers upside down or on their side if one preferred.

Indeed one could, although if the tweeter was designed with better dispersion in an upward direction, say, or narrower vertical dispersion than horizontal, one might find they sounded decidedly odd if used upside down or on their sides.

I was merely making the point that even if a pair of speakers is obviously 'handed', it doesn't mean there is a correct or incorrect way to use them.

Quite so. There has always been the 'tweeters out, tweeter in' question. It all comes down to your room and experimentation.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
The Spendor A6R are an identical pair. More than likely you're getting confused by the usual warning in speaker manuals to keep both speakers in phase.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts