Speakers in the bathroom.............

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
So... I am thinking of my first multi-room project, which is simply to use my second speaker outputs on my amp to run some cable in to my bathroom and put my Mission M70's up on some wall brackets.

There are really two questions associated with this.

First is.... is it a terrible idea? How will humidity affect the speakers and would health and safety shut me down? The objections would have to be really well founded as I am liking the idea of the 3 b's.... bath, beaujolais and Barber.........

Second.... speaker cable.

And it is not going to be the usual classic question of whether I should get Chord or QED.......

This idea means that I am going to have to get a hoofing great roll of the stuff and drill all sorts of holes in door frames and....er... stuff...... so even the £5 a metre is fairly daunting...... You can get standard copper wire in 50m and 100m rolls off of Ebay..... but it rather feels like buying speakers from those dudes who roll up in a white van and give you the old 'invoice says 1 pair but we have 2......' line ( I wonder how you get that job?)...... so any advice, recommendations and reassurances would be appreciated.

Thanks.

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
I don't know how speakers would cope in a bathroom, but so far as cable is concerned ...

... there was a recommendation, about 20-odd years ago in, I think, the infamous (and now-defunct) Hi-Fi Answers to try using solid-core cable rather than multistrand, or even solid-core mains cable, to connect your speakers! I used some solid-core cable from Tandys, that was basically plastic coated copper wire, and it sounded better to my ears than QED 56-strand!
emotion-2.gif

Tony_R

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
It is a bad idea to put 'standard' hifi speakers in a bathroom.

The humidity will very quickly destroy the cabinet veneers for a start! It will peel!

And.. if said speakers have paper cones - they too will succumb to the dampness eventually. (The adhesives that bond the various parts of the cone etc. will eventually give way).

You can get custom speakers, designed specifically for humid environments - however how hifi they are I couldn't say...

As for cable - any reasonably heavy duty flex will do, so long as you're not seeking the last word in fidelity.

Maplin were doing a clone of the old QED 79 strand cable a while back - in white too! That would do.

Tony.

A

Anonymous

Do you have an avocado bathroom?

522044355_d1c8be17c8.jpg

If so, you need the Wharfedale E series to match:

2004_pict_big_wharfedale_b.jpg

Messiah

You could get some Monitor Audio Climate 10's - outdoor/indoor speakers. There are some on ebay at the mo for half price.

They are fairly big though. I have some outside and they sound really good but light in the bass department.

Your Mission's certainly wouldn't fair well in the bathroom.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts