Speakers in existing sheving units

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am considering purchasing a pair of one of following speakers to replace my current 33 year old KEF Correlli bookshelf speakers. KEF Q300 or B&W 685 or Monitor Audio RX1.

I really would prefer to locate the speakers within my existing shelving units. My current KEFs are positioned on their side rather than upright. Will this still be OK with the new speakers as the existing shelving units will not accommadate them in a upright position.

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
It's always better sonically to place speakers on dedicated (proper) speaker stands, but they can be placed within a shelf if they must though I'd recommend putting them on top of some Atacama Gel Pads even if they're on their side just to get them off the shelf and keep them fixed to it effectively (or some Milty Polipods or Foculpods).

scene

audioaffair:It's always better sonically to place speakers on dedicated (proper) speaker stands, but they can be placed within a shelf if they must though I'd recommend putting them on top of some Atacama Gel Pads even if they're on their side just to get them off the shelf and keep them fixed to it effectively (or some Milty Polipods or Foculpods).

Or blu tak
emotion-21.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I'd choose front-ported speakers, or sealed-box designs, isolate them from the shelves with Blu-Tack and pack books tightly either side of them. If they're on their sides and more than a couple of metres apart, I'd use them with their tweeters outwards. Apart from looking very 60s retro, this will also make the most of their sound.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:I'd choose front-ported speakers, or sealed-box designs, isolate them from the shelves with Blu-Tack and pack books tightly either side of them. If they're on their sides and more than a couple of metres apart, I'd use them with their tweeters outwards. Apart from looking very 60s retro, this will also make the most of their sound.

Andrew seriously, is it OK to have books either side of the speaker? I always thought they needed clear space either side.

TRENDING THREADS