speakers for TEAC LP-R550USB

earworm

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
I recently bought a TEAC LP-R550USB, which is a unit comprising CD/cassette/record player with tuner and inbuilt speakers. Unsurprisingly the speakers are not the best and I'd like to improve things by connecting two auxiliary speakers of better quality. I'm thinking in terms of up to £100, possibly £200, the pair. The amplifier is low power - the manufacturer's spec says 3.5 + 3.5 W, the frequency response is 50Hz-20kHz, and the inbuilt speaker system impedance is stated to be 4 ohms. What specification of speakers would it make sense to buy, and any particular models? Btw they'll be in a room about 4m x 4m, and shelf mounted.

Hi earworm. Welcome to the forum.

.... and now for the bad news....

You are going to have a hard time finding good seperate speakers that are efficient enough to give plenty of volume from an amp that gives 3.5 watts.

I know you get low powered valve amps (I've owned a few) but these normally drive large, efficient floorstanders and not something you would put on a shelf.

Not too sure what outputs you have on the back of that TEAC but possibly utilising some speakers designed to be used on desktop from a PC may be an avenue you could explore.

You could also try contacting TEAC themselves for their thoughts as the do make speakers.

earworm

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Maybe I've confused myself, but I think there may be different versions of this TEAC model, because on the back of mine there are four sockets marked AUX , that is, In (L, R) and Out (L, R). They seem to be co-ax. So maybe something is doable after all?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
earworm said:
Thanks for the reply. Maybe I've confused myself, but I think there may be different versions of this TEAC model, because on the back of mine there are four sockets marked AUX , that is, In (L, R) and Out (L, R). They seem to be co-ax. So maybe something is doable after all?

They are for inputting from an external source (like a TV) and for output (to an amplifier) in another system.

So, yes. You could use the output RCA sockets and connect your TEAC to an amplifier and speakers (or active speakers if they have RCA analogue inputs and a volume control built-in).

earworm

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, I've had a look at the Audioengine A2s and the M-Audio Studiophile AV 40s. Am I right in thinking that as either would be powered separately with their own inbuilt amps, I don't have to worry about any issues of compatibility with the TEAC spec as regards watts, ohms, etc? Btw I'm not overly concerned about a big bass sound, more good fidelity through the frequency spectrum and reasonable not headbanging volume. Mostly piano music and orchestral.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts