Question Need help for my orphaned sony speakerss

sumitsinha

Jan 8, 2023
Visit site
Hi there,
I am a music buff but only as a listener until recently when my Sony mhc v800 speakers became orphaned and I am running around trying to find the right family (amplifier) for them.
The original amplifier is totally dead and can't be repaired. So I am looking for a compatible amplifier that can take care of the speakers without frying them.
The original amplifier had a rating of 1200 pmpo and continuous rms of 80W + 80W (8 ohm at 1KHz 5% THD
The speakers that I have accept impedance of 8 to 16 ohms.
I have a set of four speakers.
Two surround/sub speakers that accept impedance of 16 ohms and two super woofer with impedance of 1 kilohms voltage 1 volt.

I am sure there would be many of you who can help me provide the bare minimum specification of the amplifier and also the way to connect them. Most of the amplifiers that I have seen do not have connectors to attach 2 surround speakers. I think I would need eight poles to attach four speakers. My little brain can think only that far so your help would be super helpful. Thank you for your suggestions and guidance.
Cheers

Gray

Hi there,
Most of the amplifiers that I have seen do not have connectors to attach 2 surround speakers. I think I would need eight poles to attach four speakers.
Sounds like you've been looking at 2-channel amps - ok for 2-speaker stereo.
But it seems you want to cater for your surround system with sub woofer - in which case a surround amp is what you should (?) be looking for.

Has the old dead amp been officially declared unrepairable? (Most things can be repaired - whether it's economically viable to do so is another question of course).

Reactions: sumitsinha

sumitsinha

Jan 8, 2023
Visit site
Sounds like you've been looking at 2-channel amps - ok for 2-speaker stereo.
But it seems you want to cater for your surround system with sub woofer - in which case a surround amp is what you should (?) be looking for.

Has the old dead amp been officially declared unrepairable? (Most things can be repaired - whether it's economically viable to do so is another question of course).

Hi Gary,
Thanks a lot for replying to my query. So are you suggesting that I should look for a 4 channel amplifier? I will do so. What should be the minimum and maximum continuous rms I should go for? Pls suggest. Thanks.
P.S The main controller IC has died so there is no way of repairing it. I tried replacement but it is an outdated system and is not available.

sumitsinha

Jan 8, 2023
Visit site
Have you got a make and model number for the amp that died?
Maybe somebody will be able to suggest a modern replacement for you.

Yes the model number is Sony MHC V800 (Indonesian model). It came with two set of speakers.
Speaker SS-H991G
Speaker units 3-way system, bass reflex type, magnetically shielded
Woofer: 17 cm dia., cone type
Tweeter: 5 cm dia., cone type
Super tweeter: 2 cm dia., dome type
Nominal impedance 8 ohms

Speaker SS-SR991G
Speaker system
Full range system, bass reflex type
Speaker unit 10 cm dia., cone type
Nominal impedance 16 ohms

I have already started searching for 4 channel amps and most of them are car amps running on 12 volt dc supply. Since the original amp rating of sony mhc v 800 was 80W x 80W = 160W so a 200W should be sufficient. What do you say?

Gray

Aha, I was thinking you had a specific AV surround amp.
(I think that Sony did a sort of pseudo surround effect).

I admire your desire to make use of your superfluous speakers (as I hate to throw things away myself).
However, you say you're a music buff - so your music needs to sound as good as possible.
Sony is a great brand - but speakers aren't their speciality.

What I'm saying is that you could (almost certainly) benefit from new speakers as well as an amplifier - to allow you to more fully appreciate your music.

If you really did want to re-use your speakers, I would suggest that you choose the better of your 2 pairs and just go with 2 channel stereo.
There are plenty of low cost small amplifiers that would drive them nicely - choice would depend on your music sources (so you know what inputs the amplifier requires).

By the sound of it, you might also have a powered subwoofer. If you want to re-use that, you'd need an amp with a subwoofer output.
That might limit your amp choices slightly.....but see if you think you could go with 2 speakers only - preferably on their own stands (dedicated stands can improve the performance of 'bookshelf' type speakers).

Once we know if you can go with a 2 channel amp, and you tell us your music sources, we can make some suggestions.
And if you did want some new speakers just say.
Tell us your maximum total budget for everything too 👍

sumitsinha

Jan 8, 2023
Visit site
Aha, I was thinking you had a specific AV surround amp.
(I think that Sony did a sort of pseudo surround effect).

I admire your desire to make use of your superfluous speakers (as I hate to throw things away myself).
However, you say you're a music buff - so your music needs to sound as good as possible.
Sony is a great brand - but speakers aren't their speciality.

What I'm saying is that you could (almost certainly) benefit from new speakers as well as an amplifier - to allow you to more fully appreciate your music.

If you really did want to re-use your speakers, I would suggest that you choose the better of your 2 pairs and just go with 2 channel stereo.
There are plenty of low cost small amplifiers that would drive them nicely - choice would depend on your music sources (so you know what inputs the amplifier requires).

By the sound of it, you might also have a powered subwoofer. If you want to re-use that, you'd need an amp with a subwoofer output.
That might limit your amp choices slightly.....but see if you think you could go with 2 speakers only - preferably on their own stands (dedicated stands can improve the performance of 'bookshelf' type speakers).

Once we know if you can go with a 2 channel amp, and you tell us your music sources, we can make some suggestions.
And if you did want some new speakers just say.
Tell us your maximum total budget for everything too 👍
Hi Gray,
Thanks for your suggestion. I have done some research and there are two options.
One is to go in for car amplifiers which offer 4 channels output and the second is to design a brand new amplifier. First option will save time the later will be a great learning experience.
I think I will go with the later. Thanks for the help Gray.

Reactions: Gray

Slack941

Sep 27, 2022
Visit site
you are looking for an amplifier that is compatible with your Sony MH-V800 speakers. The original amplifier had a power rating of 1200 PMPO and a continuous RMS of 80W + 80W (8 ohms at 1KHz 5% THD).
When looking for a new amplifier, it is important to look for one that has a similar power rating and can handle the same impedance as your speakers. The speakers you have accept an impedance of 8 to 16 ohms, so you'll want to look for an amplifier that can handle this impedance range.
You also mention that you have a set of four speakers, including two surround/sub speakers that accept an impedance of 16 ohms and two super woofers with impedance of 1 kilohms voltage 1 volt. To connect all four speakers to the amplifier, you will need an amplifier that has enough channels and connectors to handle all four speakers. You will need at least four channels to connect all speakers and you may need eight poles to attach four speakers.
In general, a good idea is to look for an amplifier that is designed for home theater use and has enough power and channels to handle all of your speakers. Some examples of suitable amplifiers are the Marantz SR7013, the Denon AVR-X8500H, and the Yamaha Aventage RX-A3080. These amplifiers have the power, channels and connectors to handle your speakers.
It is always recommended to consult the manufacturer's manual or consult with a professional to ensure that the amplifier you choose is compatible with your speakers and the way you want to connect them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts