Speakers for Nad C390DD

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I have got a Nad 390DD amp on order and was wondering if anyone has any speaker ideas? Hopefully it will be a once in a lifetime purchase so I don't mind spending some money, £2K+ maybe, ex-demo or 2nd hand would be fine. I realise I ideally need to listen to some options, but my local dealers dont have the ones I have an eye on from looking at reviews - Spendor A9 and KEF ref 203/2. I suppose I picked these as I recognise the names from my youth as objects of desire. I am interested if anyone knows how these compare to each other and what similar price alternatives there are? Thanks for any help you can give. - Speakers need to go fairly close to rear wall, 300-500mm I suppose, and will be sited either side of the TV. There is plenty of room at the sides as the room is 5.5m square with the usual furnishings. - Music tastes are very wide - Blues/rock/opera/singer-songwriter etc - no drums and bass/techno but pretty well everything else. - I don't need it really loud. I guess 50% will be background whilst I read or whatever, and 50% will be sitting and listening. 'Fatigue free', 'musical' and good stable stereo image probably sums my requirements up. Thanks in advance, Nick

A

Anonymous

FORDFIESTA said:
Bowers & Wilkins CM1, amazing sound with NAD C390DD

As good as the CM1s are; the NAD deserves better IMO!

I've heard the NAD with the MA PL100s & 200s and the GX200s. Also the Neat motive 2SEs and 1s and PMC GB1is...

All worked superbly; the GX200s and Neat Motive 2SEs being my favourites :D

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to the forum.

Those are two excellent choices, though I haven't heard the Nad.

As well as the 203/2s, also check out the R700 / R900.

Other brands worth putting on your list are Proac, Focal, PMC, Opera, Sonus Faber and Vienna Acoustics.

krolikgena

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
CM1 is a joke.. i've never heard speaker sounds so boxy.

seeing my puzzled face the dealer switched right away to CM5, but it didn't help much. boxiness and huge coloration were still present.

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi nick999,

I was using NAD 390DD for over a month for a review write up. I can say that it can drive the ProAc D18 with no issues. It did not drive the D18s to its full potential especially in the low end part but it did give a special ambience to my listening session.

But the best would be if you could audition the speakers with the NAD before purchase.

A

Anonymous

Thanks everyone. My dealer has Proac and PMC in stock so I will try them out once the NAD arrives.

Generally speaking, would you say that £2K is about the right amount to spend as a partner to the C390DD? I havent really got any idea whether I should be £1k or £4k. level. I have Mission 752F at present which are very gentle and friendly but not what I would call hifi. I want to move well above these in performance terms. Since they cost £500 15 years ago which must be more than £1k in todays money I was thinking that £2K would be a minimum.

I will also be trying the amp for 2.1 theatre (Ruark log-rythm sub) and if that works out well.. which for me really means I can hear the dialogue clearly .. then I will ditch the surround system. After the initial thrill of the first few films I haven't really appreciated the 'surround' part of the equation but having a good center speaker has been great. I am hoping the Nad plus new speakers will have a better stereo stability than the Missions and my arcam alpha9 managed on film audio.

Thanks again, I will let you know how the audition goes.

Nick

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
nick999 said:
Generally speaking, would you say that £2K is about the right amount to spend as a partner to the C390DD? I havent really got any idea whether I should be £1k or £4k. level. I have Mission 752F at present which are very gentle and friendly but not what I would call hifi. I want to move well above these in performance terms. Since they cost £500 15 years ago which must be more than £1k in todays money I was thinking that £2K would be a minimum.

Nick

IMO You should probably be looking at speakers in the £1500 - £2500 range.

I think the Proac D18 and Kef R700 should be on your radar.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts