Question Speakers for multipurpose

rejor11

Dec 20, 2019
Visit site
I want to find a set of speakers for my computer, but something that can be used for a variety of things.

For now, they'll serve mainly as my PC speakers, where I"ll play music through them, and play games occasionally. But, at some point in the future I want to buy a turntable to play records. My budget isn't that high right now, so this is very much a beginner setup.

My budget is about 200 USD, but prefer to be around 150 USD.

Something to keep in mind: I live in Taiwan. While there are some stores that sell bigger name brand stuff, they tend to be quite expensive. ( I'm talking Sony, Bose, B&O, etc, and even then most stores only sell headphones). It seems the most common brand I see are Edifier and Klips (Kilps?) and a few others that I don't really know ( one starts with an A . ) Logitech is also everywhere for computer speakers.
Any thoughts? Anything I should keep in mind for connectors between PC and a future vinyl player?

rainsoothe

Hi. With that budget, if sound quality is your main concern, I'd look at studio monitors - if buying new, Presonus Eris 4.5, or, if you can find any to fit your budget on the second hand market, Yamaha HS5 or KRK Rokit 5 G4. You will need an audio interface to go with these, and bang for buck you probably can't beat Behringer (I wouldn't bother with no-name stuff). They have 2 versions (well 3 if you count one that's a different colour). One of them has a phono preamp built in (for turntables), the other one has a line in instead of the phono. If it were me, I would get the version WITHOUT the built in phono, and get a turntable that has a built-in phono instead - this would be the Behringer UCA 202 or 222 (if you prefer a red one). If you want the one with phono, it's called UFO 202.

I don't think you can find Klipsch stuff to fit your budget, as for Edifier, I'd only get them for convenience (they come with a remote and bluetooth) - but they won't sound as good as the Presonus, Yamaha or KRK mentioned above. Also consider not placing them directly on your desk, but put some sorbothane feet underneath, or at least some books to give them some elevation.

Reactions: Longchops

Longchops

Oct 15, 2020
Visit site
I would 2nd the studio monitor idea too, I've sworn by them for years.

I've personally used the Edirol/Roland MA-10 and MA-15D for years with computers. Perfect beginner setup. I don't think they make them anymore, but you can buy a pair 2nd hand for about £60 on eBay, they take a 3.5mm jack, RCA, and even optical digital and will absolutely blow away any computer speakers you could get for that money.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts