Question Speakers for Marantz PM6006

zweizwei

Nov 22, 2019
Visit site
Hello beautiful people of the hifi community.
I am a total novice but want to set up a nice little system.
I got a Marantz PM 6006 UK edition and was thinking about matching it with Dynaudio Emit M20.
So I'm wondering, is this the best speaker option at the $1000 price point. Or which ones should I be considering?

Thanks in advanced for the advice! :)

D

Deleted member 108165

Not really sure as speakers are a very personal choice. When I had a PM6004 it was paired with MA BX2 then MA BX5, both sounded good to my ears. Hear good reports of Dali speakers too. Others will be along soon with alternatives.

You really need to get out to the shops and see what sound you prefer/like, you don't want anything that will give you listening fatigue, so if something sounds bright and in yer face in the shop after a while it could grate in a domestic situation.

I eventually upgraded my entire system and tried MA RX2, eventually settling on PMC DB1, and haven't thought of changing anything for the last five years, I'm currently very content.

Gray

Speakers are a very personal choice.
You really need to get out to the shops and see what sound you prefer/like.
I couldn't agree more. Once you hear a few pairs, you might be surprised at the differences.

I've just looked again at WHFs review of those Emits, they certainly liked them, but pointed out that they need a bit of space to sound their best.
Bear that in mind if you might need to use them close to a back wall.
I bought a small pair of bookshelf speakers that had sounded fantastic, well out into a dealer's room. Back home they soon became unlistenable due to a bloated bass caused by the rear port being just 6" from my rear wall.
Front ported speakers worked for me but note that some speakers are designed to use the rear wall reinforcement!
Room shape / furnishings / hard / carpeted floors etc. influence sound greatly - so it's a good idea to try speakers in your own home - don't be afraid to ask for a home loan.

insider9

Good advice above. Go out and listen. Take your amp with you. Make sure you like what you hear on a longer demo not just initially. Ask dealers what happens if you change your mind whether you can return/exchange the speakers.

Secondly, don't go up to top of your budget. Your Marantz might not be the best amplification for £1,000 worth of speakers. Look for synergy from similar level gear. I'd say half of that budget would be appropriate for your Marantz. That's buying new. Second hand you could pickup speakers for £300 that would push your amplification.

And finally, don't think long term. If this ends up being your hobby the speakers you get now might end up being swapped in a couple of months. Whatever you do enjoy the music.

What all the others have said, it's difficult to recommend without knowing room size, personal preference, what's available where you are, music type etc
Read reviews or better still go and listen yourself is always the best answer
You mention dollars so it may not be easy to recommend some speakers that could be a lot more expensive where you are.

zweizwei

Nov 22, 2019
Visit site
You all are amazing, thank you for the recommendations and guidance! I will definitely have to get out there and listen to different ones.

For the sake of information, I will be listening to every genre except country, the room has laminated wood floors, it's not huge, about 4.5m x 4m but can have the speakers about 60cm away from a wall. Preference in sound, hmm I am not sure how to answer this, guess I like it to be close to the source material.

gasolin

All of them i mentioned are able to play loud enoght for a mid sized room but if you want to play edm go for something like Definitive Technology D9 or D11, Mission QX-2, Dynaudio EMIT M20 with there big woofer

Q Acoustics concept 20, KEFLS50 and DALI MENUET might need a little punchiness, concept 20 a little bass, dali a little bass and haven knowb to be a speaker that likes closer to 100 watt than 50, Menuet a little higher max power, they are 4 ohm so you will get most power from the amp with these speakers

Reactions: eoc69

Gray

Preference in sound, hmm I am not sure how to answer this, guess I like it to be close to the source material.
Perfect answer. The ideal benchmark for your forthcoming tests:
Include some good quality recordings that you know well.
Can you hear all the instruments, equally? (Nothing over-emphasised and nothing obviously missing).
Treble: Open, clear and not veiled or hidden away?
Bass: Can you follow the bassline?...and easily tell between bass drum and guitar?
Midrange: Listen to speech on BBC Radio 4. Does it sound natural? (Not overly nasal or chesty)

Using your 'close to the source' criteria, you've got every chance of finding contentment - and that is what it's all about - once you start on the upgrade quest, you're in trouble.
Good luck and enjoy your wide range of music.

P.S. If you find anything that makes Country music sound good, tell us.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts