Speakers for Marantz M-CR610.

Callum J

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
At the moment i am listening to, and enjoying, my newly purchased box of tricks, which is the Marantz M-CR610. It is a very versatile and addictive machine which sounds good on the CD, Spotify, internet radio, and DAB options i have sampled so far; even my Yamaha cassette deck doesn't sound too bad at all.

But, i feel it has more to give in the sound quality department, especially after reading various reviews and comments on this forum and elsewhere. At present i am using 20+ year old Mission 760is which have served me well over the years, but i find the sound to be a bit muddy now, and lacking the clarity and detail i think the M-CR610 is capable of.

I intend to buy new speakers, but i am totally undecided which ones to go for. My problem is, that i live in the Western Isles of Scotland, with no hifi stores anywhere near me, with demoing very difficult; so i will probably take a chance on speakers.

My room is small (4m x 4M) and full of stuff, so the only option is to mount them on the wall on small shelves, which is what i have been doing for years. My budget will be around the £200 mark, but i may pay more if there is a significant difference in sound quality. I listen mainly to rock, but i listen to bits and pieces of other stuff too, plus radio.

Any helpful comments and suggestions would be much appreciated by me from experienced users of this forum, to help me make up my mind.

I have shortlisted a few speaker options which may be suitable.

Dali Zensor i

Dali Lektor 1/2

Q Acoustics 2020i / 2010i

Montor Audio Bronze BR2 or RX1

Wharfedale 121 or 9.1

Boston Acoustics A25

Castle Knight 1, which i believe are half price just now.

Thanks.. Callum.

BI

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi Callum,

Deffinately, without any qusetion, go for the Zensor 1's - these are superb, and make a great sound with the Marantz, as they pack well above their weight, in terms of their price point, I don't think you will be too disappointed with these :)

matthewpiano

The Castle Knight 1s didn't work out for me in the end. Lovely with simple acoustic material but too laboured sounding with other stuff. Perhaps not the ideal match with the Marantz as an all-rounder.

The Zensor 1s should make a good match. The 3s sounded good with the Marantz.

Ideally you need to go and audition. Given that most hi-fi shops will have the 610 in, this shouldn't be too hard to organise.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
The Castle Knight 1s didn't work out for me in the end. Lovely with simple acoustic material but too laboured sounding with other stuff. Perhaps not the ideal match with the Marantz as an all-rounder.

Ideally you need to go and audition. Given that most hi-fi shops will have the 610 in, this shouldn't be too hard to organise.

You're kidding right? After all you said about them?

matthewpiano

BenLaw said:
matthewpiano said:

Yes, well.... They are capable little speakers and they sound gorgeous with some material but over a longer period I found them a bit congested sounding with certain material. I think they need more power than the Marantz can give, and also somewhat punchier amplification.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
BenLaw said:
matthewpiano said:

Yes, well.... They are capable little speakers and they sound gorgeous with some material but over a longer period I found them a bit congested sounding with certain material. I think they need more power than the Marantz can give, and also somewhat punchier amplification.

So the Marantz is going soon?

matthewpiano

I have sought help with my 'hi-fi problem' and I'm finally taking the informed advice of a small, independent dealer who seems to understand the root of my lack of satisfaction and has carefully demonstrated the sort of system that should bring it all to an end. There is now a carefully worked out long-term plan.

You will see me commenting less about how kit sounds in future.

Anyway, back to the OP....

Callum J

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your comments folks, very helpful.

Just wondering, Nick Slater, Audioaffair, did the Zensor 1s sound considerably better than other speaker options you may have tried?

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
Callum J said:
At the moment i am listening to, and enjoying, my newly purchased box of tricks, which is the Marantz M-CR610. It is a very versatile and addictive machine which sounds good on the CD, Spotify, internet radio, and DAB options i have sampled so far; even my Yamaha cassette deck doesn't sound too bad at all.

But, i feel it has more to give in the sound quality department, especially after reading various reviews and comments on this forum and elsewhere. At present i am using 20+ year old Mission 760is which have served me well over the years, but i find the sound to be a bit muddy now, and lacking the clarity and detail i think the M-CR610 is capable of.

I intend to buy new speakers, but i am totally undecided which ones to go for. My problem is, that i live in the Western Isles of Scotland, with no hifi stores anywhere near me, with demoing very difficult; so i will probably take a chance on speakers.

My room is small (4m x 4M) and full of stuff, so the only option is to mount them on the wall on small shelves, which is what i have been doing for years. My budget will be around the £200 mark, but i may pay more if there is a significant difference in sound quality. I listen mainly to rock, but i listen to bits and pieces of other stuff too, plus radio.

Any helpful comments and suggestions would be much appreciated by me from experienced users of this forum, to help me make up my mind.

I have shortlisted a few speaker options which may be suitable.

Dali Zensor i

Dali Lektor 1/2

Q Acoustics 2020i / 2010i

Montor Audio Bronze BR2 or RX1

Wharfedale 121 or 9.1

Boston Acoustics A25

Castle Knight 1, which i believe are half price just now.

Thanks.. Callum.

when i listened to this box of tricks in th shop it was powering MA BX2 and it was enough for me to know I liked the sound of this unit, so I bought it, nuff said...however...

I didnt get the BX2 becuase I already have 3 sets of speakers !! , My MCR610 is currently driving some AE 109 to good effect,

But the BX2 seemed to gel well

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
I should add that I am currently using my 610 with my old Diamond 9.1s and it is a very competent pairing.

Nice to know you havnt dumped the little marantz yet, Its a little belter isnt it :dance: , the CD sounds superb, spotify a very close second by a thin whisker, however DAB is still DRAB, ....its just about ok with dab for background music ans makes a good attempt and trying to sound nice but I have yet to hear DAB sound good on anything really, , the format is so flawed

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
I have sought help with my 'hi-fi problem' and I'm finally taking the informed advice of a small, independent dealer who seems to understand the root of my lack of satisfaction and has carefully demonstrated the sort of system that should bring it all to an end. There is now a carefully worked out long-term plan.

You will see me commenting less about how kit sounds in future.

Anyway, back to the OP....

?

This seems never ending ... .

What is this 'long term plan' if I may ask?

regards

matthewpiano

Yes, never ending indeed, hence my late decision to call upon some professional help and advice rather than taking pot luck on my own. I do not want to crash the OP's thread and I'm not going to start writing reviews etc. for quite some time. It will take me some time to build the system in question and I'm not sure it is in anyone's interests for me to write any more glowing reviews at the present time.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Yes, never ending indeed, hence my late decision to call upon some professional help and advice rather than taking pot luck on my own. I do not want to crash the OP's thread and I'm not going to start writing reviews etc. for quite some time. It will take me some time to build the system in question and I'm not sure it is in anyone's interests for me to write any more glowing reviews at the present time.

Thats ok but what is the system in question?

regards

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I would politely suggest that Matt needs to find a systen he can love and live with , even if he has to wait to buy it , all these different speakers dont seem to be getting any nearer , no offense Matt

James

Callum J

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Do you think, Matthew, i should save my cash and buy a pair of Diamond 9.1s, or will the Dali Zensor 1s be a significant and worthwhile upgrade?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano said:

But you are making it sound more fascinating with every new post :)

I really want to know the thinking behind the advice you got from the dealer and how it convinced you to undertake this long-term system plan.

It could help others here. I understand that the specifics of the particular system you have chosen won't apply to everyone, but I am still intrigued about the 'philosophy' that got you to making this decision.

Is it anything to do with your knowledge of pianos? (I remember you saying you'd never heard a system that could convincingly distinguish between different pianos the way you can at a live performance.)

Please start a new thread.

[EDIT] I am going to go right out on a limb here and guess that you've been to Diggle recently.

matthewpiano

Callum J said:
Do you think, Matthew, i should save my cash and buy a pair of Diamond 9.1s, or will the Dali Zensor 1s be a significant and worthwhile upgrade?

The Dalis will be more explicit and detailed, whilst the Wharfedales smoother. Hard for me to advise you which way to go. In terms of value for money the 9.1s take some beating.

In answer to the others, yes Chebby I have been to Diggle. I briefed Dave there with my situation and box-swapping history and entrusted him with the task of putting together an affordable system that would take me away from the hi-fi and back to the music. He came up with the goods, and he talked a lot of sense about finding a set-up that drew me into the music rather than leaving me listening to the equipment. The initial demo was Exposure 1010 CD and amp with Audio Note AX-2 speakers - a combination that really did pull me into the music. He then swapped the speakers for Rega RS3s and I was listening to the hi-fi again. Moving between the two speakers I continued to switch from listening to the music to listening to the hi-fi. For me, the Audio Notes are a better choice. We then swapped the amp with the Edwards Audio Apprentice (keeping the AX-2s) and I felt the system lost some of its persuasiveness and musical involvement. This feeling was consolidated during a few swaps between these two amps, playing a variety of different tracks. Then, with the 1010 amp and AX2 speakers, we switched to a Consonance 120 Linear CD player and played the opening of Andre Pevin's recording of the Rachmaninov 2nd Symphony, which moved both my wife and I to tears - the first time this has happened to me listening to recorded music in a very very long time.

I now know where I'm heading and I won't be going anywhere else but Audio Counsel. The whole experience was very enjoyable and there was no pressure whatsoever. I'll be starting with the amp and using it with my old Rotel RCD965BX and Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 speakers while I get the money together for the new speakers. Then the final piece of the puzzle will be the CD player.

Apologies to the OP. Hope you can get some more advice on your dilemma and that you end up with speakers that satisfy you. One thing I would say, from my recent experience, is find a good dealer and audition a couple of options to make sure you get the right outcome.

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano said:

I currently have the Castle Kinght 2 with a cyrus 6XP amp and i think they sound fantastic with all kind of music. ;)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Callum J said:

The Dalis will be more explicit and detailed, whilst the Wharfedales smoother. Hard for me to advise you which way to go. In terms of value for money the 9.1s take some beating.

In answer to the others, yes Chebby I have been to Diggle. I briefed Dave there with my situation and box-swapping history and entrusted him with the task of putting together an affordable system that would take me away from the hi-fi and back to the music. He came up with the goods, and he talked a lot of sense about finding a set-up that drew me into the music rather than leaving me listening to the equipment. The initial demo was Exposure 1010 CD and amp with Audio Note AX-2 speakers - a combination that really did pull me into the music. He then swapped the speakers for Rega RS3s and I was listening to the hi-fi again. Moving between the two speakers I continued to switch from listening to the music to listening to the hi-fi. For me, the Audio Notes are a better choice. We then swapped the amp with the Edwards Audio Apprentice (keeping the AX-2s) and I felt the system lost some of its persuasiveness and musical involvement. This feeling was consolidated during a few swaps between these two amps, playing a variety of different tracks. Then, with the 1010 amp and AX2 speakers, we switched to a Consonance 120 Linear CD player and played the opening of Andre Pevin's recording of the Rachmaninov 2nd Symphony, which moved both my wife and I to tears - the first time this has happened to me listening to recorded music in a very very long time.

I now know where I'm heading and I won't be going anywhere else but Audio Counsel. The whole experience was very enjoyable and there was no pressure whatsoever. I'll be starting with the amp and using it with my old Rotel RCD965BX and Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 speakers while I get the money together for the new speakers. Then the final piece of the puzzle will be the CD player.

Apologies to the OP. Hope you can get some more advice on your dilemma and that you end up with speakers that satisfy you. One thing I would say, from my recent experience, is find a good dealer and audition a couple of options to make sure you get the right outcome.

Matt, I hope you don't mind me saying that; I don't of course know you nor am I a psychologist but I have a feeling you need a sabbatical from all this.

regards

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Callum J said:

Morning Mathew.

I have been banging on about this sort of thing ever since I joined this board. It is great to hear from someone who has made the same journey.

I have attempted to describe, on many occasions, how I feel that most budget and mid priced equipment all sounds the same, not in hi-fi terms but in musical ability. Learning how to stop listening to the hi-fi and make your judgement on the musical ability of the system is the trick.

Not, at present, being prepared to spend the kind of money that a 'proper' system would require, I have 'got round' the issue I have with budget systems by using an inexpensive active set up. Has its very obvious limitations but they are different from the passive norm and for the time being preferable.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts