Speakers for Devialet 170

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
Morning Matt, interesting as always.

Given the current pricing of the Cremona Auditors I know where my money would be going in your position, I have become pretty tightfisted since leaving the trade, and they have been a favourite of mine for some time.

Do you not get the tiniest bit tempted to 'grab yourself a bargain' whilst there are still some brand new models about?

Dave, you're being naughty again! Tempting though the Auditors are, I have a plan, and I'm going to stick to it. In any case, I reckon those Auditors will be around for a few weeks yet, and if I hold out, the price could get even tastier.

Also, the Olympicas do seem to image better, so they deserve another audtion. (BTW they also look better, to my eyes anyway, and at the risk of being hauled up by the Fun Police. Pictures don't do them justice. The stands are really lovely.)

:cheers:

mute

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I own the focal 1028be and audited them with m6i, ams35i, lux 590ax and pass xa30.5. They sounded like totally different speakers with each of these amps. M6i was front and bright, ams35i was layed back with fantastic bass, lux and pass were more balanced, but with less bass control than the ams35. Finally I ended up with the pass. What I am trying to say is not sure how much you can learn by checking the focals with a different amp than your Dev, since they are very transparent. Anyway if you can not grab your amp with you, try audit them with class-a or tube amp to get the best out of them.

-mute

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
matt49 said:
davedotco said:
Morning Matt, interesting as always.

Given the current pricing of the Cremona Auditors I know where my money would be going in your position, I have become pretty tightfisted since leaving the trade, and they have been a favourite of mine for some time.

Do you not get the tiniest bit tempted to 'grab yourself a bargain' whilst there are still some brand new models about?

Dave, you're being naughty again! Tempting though the Auditors are, I have a plan, and I'm going to stick to it. In any case, I reckon those Auditors will be around for a few weeks yet, and if I hold out, the price could get even tastier.

Also, the Olympicas do seem to image better, so they deserve another audtion. (BTW they also look better, to my eyes anyway, and at the risk of being hauled up by the Fun Police. Pictures don't do them justice. The stands are really lovely.)

:cheers:

Style wise I am not that keen on the Auditor stands but I have seen neither the Olympica or their stands in the flesh. Pity Peter Soper is no longer making his superb slate and occassionally marble stands.

The 'thing' I have about the Auditors is balance, everything seems to be in such great proportion that the lack of deep bass, the slightly relaxed treble simply does not seem to matter. I have spoken before about the way some components seem to bring a sense of 'rightness' to the party and for me the Auditors do just that.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts