Speakers for Denon RCD-M38DAB

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have some old speakers connected to my Denon RCD-M38DAB mini system. They are Technics SB-CH7 which came from an old Technics SC-CH7 integrated stereo system. I am not pleased with the sound. Classical music sound OK, as does solo voices or instruments. They appear to become noisy when playing popular music. Treble is harsh. Bass undefined (if that is the right word).The specifications for the speakers look quite good - 2 way 2 sp bass reflex, 14cm woofer, 6 cm tweeter, 87 Db, 42-22khz, power rating 10-50 W, 6 ohm, dimensions 165x329x302.

Would I get better sound from Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 or Q Acoustics 2020? Denon power output is 30W at 6ohm.

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
A first poster, welcome to the forum johnc.

There's been several threads about speakers for the DM37 over the past couple of years and the same will apply for the DM38 so if you fancy having a search for previous threads on this subject there's plenty to read. If unsure how to access them just type in 'dm37 speakers' in seach forums box above and hit 'go'. Of the two speakers you mention either of those will be fine. Others you may consider are Wharfedale 10.1s, Tannoy F1, Monitor Audio BR1 or BR2. (Both the MA speakers now superceded by the BX1 and BX2 but plenty of BR1s about according to guy I spoke to in Sevenoaks Sound today).

No mention in your post about how the speakers will be mounted. On proper stands/brackets is good
emotion-2.gif
, sitting on a shelf not so good
emotion-6.gif
. Makes a big difference.

Its really up to you to try and get to a retailer and have a listen before you make final choice. Not to say that it'll sound the same in your room though!

emotion-42.gif

Rich

A

Anonymous

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
johnc2897:Thanks Rich for your advice. I am still vacillating.

You're welcome. (Looks up 'vacillating' in dictionary'. Uncertain in purpose or action, Wavering, rarely used as adjective)
emotion-21.gif

As an afterthought, if your current speakers came from a music centre then the chances are the speaker cable is pretty much like thin bell wire. Buying some decent speaker cable will also help. No need to go overboard on it though, the DM38 is a really nice all-in-one micro system, but it is not high-end hifi equipment. No need to spend too much.

Rich

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
8009514:

]

As an afterthought, if your current speakers came from a music centre then the chances are the speaker cable is pretty much like thin bell wire. Buying some decent speaker cable will also help.

.... Although if it's that old the speaker cable is most likely captive, so changing it would require splicing the new cable to the old. Not sure if it's worth it.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the advice. Just to let you know, I have settled on some Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 speakers. I am not an audiophile, but these speakers sound very good to me. The bass response is good without being overpowering. I have them mounted on some good stands. I intend to use some better quality cables, so hopefully the sound will be even better.

TALON1973

May 26, 2008
Visit site
hmm interesting choice .. was looking at those speakers myself .. how much did you pay for them ? seen them in superfi for £99

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts