Speakers for Cyrus system?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I'm getting new stuff for the first time in 15 years. I needed CD, Amp, Speakers & DVD but don't want/need surround sound. Killed 2 birds with one stone, found a Cyrus DVD 8 ex-dem for £399 which I've heard is one of the few DVD's that plays CD's very well. Also found a 6 month old Cyrus 8vs amp £499 (with a warranty). My problem is speakers, I'd like these to be new but have only £400 to spend (+ stands & interconnects). My lounge is quite small (4m x 3m) and the speakers would need to be close to the wall. I listen to pretty much all types of music but mostly listen to indie/rock/electronic eg Radiohead, Pixies, Metallica, Battles, Hendrix, Leftfield, LCD Soundsystem etc. So far I'm going to try out the new Kef IQ5se's, Epos M12.2's and the new B&W 685's. I've also been told Focal make very good speakers especially for small rooms but have never heard of them, and Revolver speakers have been mentioned. Any other idea's or preferences would be gladly appreciated. Thanks, James

A

Anonymous

if u can strech to £500 this are really good slim short floor standers wont take up so much space and sound twice te price i own a pair and im very happy with them http://www.richersounds.com/showbigproductpicture/TANN-EYRIS2-WALN/303952.jpg

A

Anonymous

Nice looking speakers. Trouble is Richer Sounds don't have listening rooms and I'd really like to hear them before I buy.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
With the choices you have listed above i could only go for the B&W's.

I have recently bought some B&W 602 S3 speakers from Ebay for just under £15o in mint condition and all i can say is theyre fantastic.

For a budget of £500 you will be able to get some very good deals on Ebay, get looking at B&W speakers on there and see what deals you can do, and save some money also
emotion-1.gif

Let us know how you get on!

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="ranjeetrain"]

2nd vote Tanny Eyris 2

[/quote]

For the price they are now at....you gonna be hard push to match the preformance if buy new. The other Tannoy that offer a great value is the Sensy DC1 and DC2. The smaller one are great with Jazz and classical, the floorstanders stable mate are more for Dance and heavy rock.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="superjimbo"]Nice looking speakers. Trouble is Richer Sounds don't have listening rooms and I'd really like to hear them before I buy.[/quote]

chelsea has a listening room i think here is the phone number 02073528496 "The Chelsea branch is located in Londons trendy Fulham Road opposite the Chelsea and Westminster hospital. It is one of the busiest and largest of the London branches. We are the High Definition TV, home cinema and hi-fi experts with over 40 flat screens on screen display, as well as a fully wired High Definition home cinema and hi-fi demonstration room".sorted mate !

A

Anonymous

I'll have to pop down. Looking at the size of the Tannoy's though I thought the might be a bit big for my room and may sound boomy?

A

Anonymous

Anyone heard Focal Chorus 806's? Lovely looking and made for rooms under 20 square metres (mine is approx 12). They're not mentioned in the What hifi buyers guide.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="superjimbo"]I'll have to pop down. Looking at the size of the Tannoy's though I thought the might be a bit big for my room and may sound boomy?[/quote] no. my room is 4m by 4m and tey do just fine next to the corners angled in towards the center of the room

A

Anonymous

Went to the show today, some of the staff told me to wait and hear the new Mordaunt Short Mezzo 2's so I'll probably do that, try a few others out at the same time. They raved about Epos m12.2's with Cyrus stuff.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="superjimbo"]I'll have to pop down. Looking at the size of the Tannoy's though I thought the might be a bit big for my room and may sound boomy?[/quote]

Just don't put them too close to your wall. At least 30cm ... 50cm is more comfy though.

A

Anonymous

That's the trouble I have. I can't move any furniture in the room due to the shape so the speakers can't really come out more than 10 cm from the wall. It's only 3m across and the speakers would stick out too far into the room.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="superjimbo"]That's the trouble I have. I can't move any furniture in the room due to the shape so the speakers can't really come out more than 10 cm from the wall. It's only 3m across and the speakers would stick out too far into the room.[/quote]
as sayd before they didnt couse me a problem plus if u feel there is a boomy bass due to the speackers being too close to the wall u can put the foam back on the bass ports on the back but again i really think you wont need it wish you good luck sex

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="superjimbo"]They raved about Epos m12.2's with Cyrus stuff.[/quote]

That is another good solution.....entertain like few others.

A

Anonymous

Went to Richer Sounds today to look at the Tannoy's, much smaller than I expected which is good. I have to travel a bit to get to a Richer with a listening room though. Can anyone describe the sound? Would you say they sound better overall than an up-to-date £500 speaker?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Age of design is not very important with speakers when compairing to electronics. If they were design right 5 years ago they should still sound right today. Anton's speakers are getting on to 25 years old (nearly as old as Andrew :) but I bet you have to spend a lot of money today to better them.

The sound (from memory) is clean and fast. They do not have the best bass but treble is quite amazing. Soundstage and imaging are the strongest points so not really for the rockers but then again SEX, who love heavy metal as much as factory in China, is very happy with them! . WHF gave them 4 stars when they were £1000 a pair so I am sure at £500 they would easily earn a higher recommendation.

I am not saying that the tannoy is the best £500 you can spend on a pair of speakers but they deserve to be on your short list at the price.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Thaiman"]They do not have the best bass but treble[/quote] hoo my ho my the bass is so good on those babyes fast tight defined its like having Lars Ulrich in your room playng drums !!

A

Anonymous

Thanks to everyone for all the help and advice. I finally went for some Epos 12.2's which I found on Ebay, 7 months old, unmarked, high quality bi-wire cable and £200 stands for £290, I couldn't refuse a deal like that!
I might be moving next year so it gives me a bit in reserve if I end up with a big living room and need something larger.
Thanks again!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="sex"][quote user="superjimbo"]I'll have to pop down. Looking at the size of the Tannoy's though I thought the might be a bit big for my room and may sound boomy?[/quote] no. my room is 4m by 4m and tey do just fine next to the corners angled in towards the center of the room[/quote]

In the corners? Eek!!!!

A

Anonymous

Glad you got something cool in the end superjimbo.

Let us know what it sounds like when you have it wired up. jules.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="superjimbo"]I finally went for some Epos 12.2's which I found on Ebay, 7 months old, unmarked, high quality bi-wire cable and £200 stands for £290, I couldn't refuse a deal like that![/quote]

Sounds like a great deal to me, and much better suited to the size of your room.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts