Speakers for Cyrus set up that will suit my room

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

I am looking for some speakers that will suit not only my system, but also my room.

Kit is Cyrus CD7 through a Pre X vs/Smartpower plus combo, Atlas Hyper cable bi-wire connects to Mordaunt Short MS 25i Pearl speakers. Amps are a recent upgrade and made a big difference, am conscious though that the elctronics are probably capable of a lot more than the speakers are putting out.

Have been looking into this for a while but still confused, particularly about the positioning and suitability for the room. Have read a lot of good reviews, and on investigating further find that they require to be well out into the room, and therefore not practical.

My listening room is about 8.5ft by 16ft with the speakers pointing lengthwise. Speakers are currently about 8 inches from side walls, and they are both about 8 inches in front of the outer wall which then recedes a foot into the window recess: if that makes any sense.

I thought about the £400 Kef iQ5s, which I gather are unfussy about positioning (although have seen a 'deal' on the earlier, and bigger?, Q5s at £300). I could go up to about £800 if you think it will unlock more potential in my system.

Also, it's not the biggest consideration, but I have lots of pale birch furniture in the room, so something that looks similar would be a bonus!

Suggestions very welcome.

Many thanks

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Hi Yellow Kid.

You're right to think that not all speakers will be happy in the allotted position in your room. The KEF iQ5s are pretty relaxed about positioning, though - and we've a First Test of the upgraded iQ5SEs coming up in our September issue (out July 26).

The KEFs have been pushed hardest by Monitor Audio's Bronze BR5s (£400), another compact floorstander that's easy to site, so I'd suggest you have a listen to them too. Don't know if they're available in a pale blond finish, though.

If you want to bring a little more from your amplification, mind, I'd recommend you audition Dali's Ikon 5 floorstanders (£700). They're a bit overshadowed by their big brothers, but they're usefully compact and time beautifully - ideal when in tandem with your Cyruses. But now I come to think about it, the finish might be a bit orange for your needs.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Monitor Audio's Bronze series come in black, walnut or cherry - the latter being a lot lighter finish than you'd think.
There's a pic of the Bronze B6 in that finish on the MA website at:

http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/product.php?range=8&product=58

I would post pic and make that a live link, but my web formatting tools don't seem to like being in Switzerland....

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the suggestions Claire and Simon. Sorry to have taken so long to acknowledge, got the messages at the time but was unable to post a reply for some reason, and have since been on holiday.

Will check out your review of the updated Kefs, and also try and have a listen to the others: there are dealers for them all fairly local to me.

I forgot to say that I had previously been thinking about the ProAc Studio 110s. Would they suit my requirements and justify the extra spend? I realise that with decent stands that takes the cost up to about £950, so would consider other things at that price if you think it worth it.

That budget would allow for the bigger Dali Ikon 6s, but I notice that your recent Ultimate Guide was suggesting these need plenty of space.

Thanks.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
If you can stretch your budget, the ProAc Studio 110s would be a good choice - they're happy close to a wall, so don't need the space of something like the Dalis. They're not the most bass-heavy, however,

I'd also strongly suggest checking out the Jamo C803 (£700 plus decent stands) - also unfussy about positioning. In fact, unfussy about most things - and an exceptionally musical speaker, with slightly more authority than the ProAcs.

A

Anonymous

Unfortunately (due to changes in Jamo's distribution) no dealers within reasonable travelling distance have the Jamo C803s for audition (even where listed on Jamo's web site). Are they a sfae enough bet to buy unheard, or am I better to go and listen to something else?

A

Anonymous

I have found that the Epos M12 speakers are a brilliant match for the Cyrus Smartpower especially with vocals.The bass is also very good for the size of the enclosure.

They have excellent build quality,are bi-wirable if that is needed & far exceed anything in their price category for audio quality.

I picked up an ex dem pair for £230 about 18 months ago & have been very happy with them.

I also recommended them to a member of another forum who took my advice & emailed me to say that he was very glad to have found them.

A

Anonymous

Thanks border. Do you think the M12s will suit my room, where they have to be fairly close to the corners?

A

Anonymous

I can only tell you my experience with them & hope that helps.My room is 5mtrs long with windows at each end & 3mtrs wide & has 2 sofas & other assorted furniture,so a little crowded.
To get a good sound stage I wall mounted them on brackets with the speaker edges
25cm in from the corners either side of the patio doors as standmounts would have meant them being too close together to avoid the sofas,then toed them in little by little whilst listening until I was happy with the positioning.

All rooms are acoustically different & we all have our own preferences but having said that I do not think that you will be disappointed with these speakers,they will out perform many speakers of much higher price & I think they are an ideal match for Cyrus systems (I have a Quattro,Smartpower,PSX-R with mine).

You can also get them 2nd hand for silly money on Audiophile Candy free ads or EBay so you could always give them a try & if they did not suit you then move them on without losing too much money.

Good luck

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts