Speakers for Classic Quad

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello all

I have been given a Quad 33, 303 FM3 Combo minus speakers and i wondered what would best partner this system. Am i best going for a (Classic) speaker or something more modern.

Ideas welcomed. I would prefer a 2nd hand purchase and something as cheap as possible.

My tastes are guitar based rock mainly 60's and 90's indie stuff.

regards
Michael

A

Anonymous

Poppers:Hello all

I have been given a Quad 33, 303 FM3 Combo minus speakers and i wondered what would best partner this system. Am i best going for a (Classic) speaker or something more modern.

Ideas welcomed. I would prefer a 2nd hand purchase and something as cheap as possible.

My tastes are guitar based rock mainly 60's and 90's indie stuff.

regards
Michael
Lucky you! The 303 is a very smooth sounding amp with about 45W per channel. Irrespective of the source being used, to get the best out of it you could do with some pretty good speakers. What's your budget?

Some Proac Tablettes would match quite nicely as they're very open and easy to drive. They don't give a huge amount of bass but they'll play up to the 303's midrange. Other Proacs would be good too, perhaps the Studio series.

Another good match would be some Monitor Audio stand mounters. Something like the RS1 or S1 would be rather nice. Again, very open and easy to drive, matching a gold dome tweeter to the smooth sound nicely.

I'd be tempted to suggest Spendor, say S3s, but they not so easy to drive and I suspect 45W may be too little. Without trying I don't know. If it did work you'd get a very smooth and easy going sound with accurate soundstage.

The Rega R1 or R3 are easy to drive and suitable in timbre to match the smooth amp too. Both do very well in the mids for their price and the R3 will give you some more bottom end welly. In fact, the R3 would probably also suit you music tastes.

With a budget of as little as possible I'd be hunting out some MA S1s I think. At least as a starting point. I can also refer you to the Hifi trading Station (Google it) that could supply some advice and used speakers to suit.

I'll stop now. Good luck. Let us know what you do.

A

Anonymous

My budget would be no more than £100 for second hand speakers. I guess that's not enough to be honest.

A

Anonymous

I'd consider calling the Hifi Trading Station to see what they'd recommend at that price in their stock.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice. Any one used Bowers & Wilkins DM602

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts