Speakers for Cambridge cxa 80

Jcypser

Jan 12, 2017
Visit site
Hi all

I've just recently upgraded to a Cambridge cxa 80 and Cambridge cxn, i'm now looking at changing my mordaunt short 906 floorstanders. But I'm bit stuck with all the choices, I've seen on richersounds they have kef q500 for £349 which are floorstanders or should I be looking at standmount speakers. Richersounds would probably be my point of purchasing as only 20mins away. Please any advise would be appreciated. My music taste is rock, indie, pop , dance most types of music.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Is there anything in particular you don't like about your current speakers?

What's the size & shape of your room? Do you find you get a little too much bass with the Mordaunt Shorts or are you happy with the balance across the frequency range? The answer might help you know weather floorstander or standmount is better suited to your room.

Would you consider used to stretch your budget? The amp is a very decent one and could drive some pretty decent midrange speakers.

Jcypser

Jan 12, 2017
Visit site
Just starting point, I've been reading reviews and people's feed back on RS website trying to get idea what would pair well with cambridge amp.

Jcypser

Jan 12, 2017
Visit site
I find the mordaunt can be a bit boomy at times, I've got them positioned about foot half away from the wall, this max I can really move them out. this is one reason I'm thinking stand mounted, I like the Bass just want it controlled not bommy. Speakers are approx 9ft in front of me in toe'd in position.

Room size is about 12ft x 12ft

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
I only ask because i recently read a user review of the Tannoy revolution xt 6f used with the cambridge amp and they said it was fab. I have never heard either but all I've read makes me kind of lust that system. The Tannoys were best speakers here at 1000 pounds and are now less than 600 in places

Jcypser

Jan 12, 2017
Visit site
Just had a read through the reviews on RS site, liked this comment " The XT 6Fs have an engaging, detailed and balanced sound. The bass is powerful but tight and fast, not at all boomy. " *i-m_so_happy*

Jcypser said:
Just had a read through the reviews on RS site, liked this comment " The XT 6Fs have an engaging, detailed and balanced sound. The bass is powerful but tight and fast, not at all boomy. " *i-m_so_happy*
I can understand why you'd read these, but I'd suggest listening yourself to as many different speakers as you can, and making your own mind up. That sort of pseudo-journalistic twaddle is no help at all imo. Someone who says something like "...my other half loved the wooden cabinets, and our favourite album by <artist> sounded brilliant." is far more "real". Completely useless, but real!

Most reviews are by folk who've only had one system, or their new purchase has blown them away, (literally!) and will therefore report only positive comments.

You wouldn't choose wallpaper liked by a complete stranger, and nor should you with speakers.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
nopiano said:
Jcypser said:
Just had a read through the reviews on RS site, liked this comment " The XT 6Fs have an engaging, detailed and balanced sound. The bass is powerful but tight and fast, not at all boomy. "  *i-m_so_happy*
I can understand why you'd read these, but I'd suggest listening yourself to as many different speakers as you can, and making your own mind up.  That sort of pseudo-journalistic twaddle is no help at all imo.  Someone who says something like "...my other half loved the wooden cabinets, and our favourite album by <artist> sounded brilliant." is far more "real".   Completely useless, but real!

Most reviews are by folk who've only had one system, or their new purchase has blown them away, (literally!) and will therefore report only positive comments.  

You wouldn't choose wallpaper liked by a complete stranger, and nor should you with speakers. 

I'm with you 100%. As I said I read a lot about each model enough to kind of want that set up. Due to OP amp being CA and RS being where the tannoys are, an audition should be an easy set up.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Jcypser said:
I find the mordaunt can be a bit boomy at times, I've got them positioned about foot half away from the wall, this max I can really move them out.  this is one reason I'm thinking stand mounted,  I like the Bass just want it controlled not bommy. Speakers are approx 9ft in front of me in toe'd in position.

Room size is about 12ft x 12ft 

I would certainly change the speakers. They have never been that great in the first place.

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Book yourself a demo, and try before you buy, its the only way to know for sure, then buy them online, because they could sound very different in your room, and rooms have the biggest factor in how its going to sound in the end, its all trial and error in this game, small room, small speakers is the wise choice, but thats not to say it will be the right choice, you can get bigger speakers to work, but could take some tweaking and experimenting with, but you have 14 days to return them, some offer longer

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
Those Tannoys are a good match with the CXA80. Don't know if they'll fit your room. Also consider the B&W 685 S2s (I would say CM1 S2s, but not for rock or indie music), Focal Aria 906 or KEF LS50 (provided you can have the 50s away from the back wall, they're rear ported) ir you decide to go the standmount route.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Jcypser said:
Just had a read through the reviews on RS site, liked this comment " The XT 6Fs have an engaging, detailed and balanced sound. The bass is powerful but tight and fast, not at all boomy. "  *i-m_so_happy*
I found the bass a bit boomy on them because of there new bass port.The bass had good separation but to be honest I hated the bass sound

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Jcypser said:

Considering the size of your 12' x 12' room, I'd definitely consider standmounts, but larger rear-ported standmounts (say for example Monitor Audio Silver 2 size-wise) could be boomy too if placed close to a wall. Something like Q Acoustics Concept 20's could work very well, or better still (& if you're very patient) hunt down some used Neat Iotas. I've seen them used for around the £400 mark, but they don't come up too often.

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
Those Neat Iotas mentioned are brilliant speakers. And so are the Guru Juniors. Even more rare but I snatched a pair in december here in Lisbon for 450 euros (used, in mint condition). Don't know about the match with the cxa80 though. They're excellent in small spaces.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts