Speakers for cambridge azur 851a

A

ashleycox

What speakers would people match with the ca azur 851a? Looking at tannoy dc6tse or focal chorus 714, as rs have these speakers with the amp and cdp at a considerably lower price... I like a warm sound, nothing too bright. Something that gives you that real feelign of 'being there'. I want to put on a live album and be in that audience... Thanks for any and all input!

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Try a demo at RS, prob. need to book first. I heard the Focal 714s did not find them bright, a bit dull if anything but that was not with tye CA851a.

A

ashleycox

Thanks, will give them a go. Thought I'd get some opinions of where to start; rs's range of speakers is pretty limited, but theyr'e the only dealer near me (and the only one who sells the ca ger).

From your response, I doubt the focal speakers will be right for me - the ca amps are supposed to sound very natural. Will probably go for tannoys.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I think RS are the only dealers that sell CA gear. I suggest you join their VIP club, you will get some discounts and a few freebies. Just beawre the room has quite an influence on the sound. RS do have quite a good exchange policy but as you say limited range.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Some years ago i bought a pre owned pair of epos es14 speakers for a bargain price.(I have the 840A v2 - a very powerful detailed and spacious sounding amp) I am happy with the sound and have had this combination for about 6 years. i would have to spend a lot of money to appreciably improve the sound. The overall presentation of the music is very good. I sometimes miss a lower bass sound and so have been thinking of a sub woofer

tonky

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
That would be the BK XLS200 then: http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/XLS200-DF.htm

Subwoofers are an option, personally I’d have a preference for putting the budget towards bigger speakers but subwoofers tend to divide opinion. Most people (myself including in all honestly) don’t properly set up their subs but if you take the time and possibly use room EQ software and devices you can achieve stunning results. I have the BK XXLS400 and mainly use it for films but do have it set very low to add a little weight for music too. The BK subs are excellent value.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for that. i have read reviews of BK stuff now. Do you think the xxls400 offers appreciably more for the extra cost?

The xls200 seems to offer a lot - 275 watt amp module and peerless xl 10 inch sub etc

cheers tonky

A

ashleycox

Thanks all for your replies. I'll definitely check out epos speakers.

ashleycox said:
What speakers would people match with the ca azur 851a? Looking at tannoy dc6tse or focal chorus 714, as rs have these speakers with the amp and cdp at a considerably lower price... I like a warm sound, nothing too bright. Something that gives you that real feelign of 'being there'. I want to put on a live album and be in that audience... Thanks for any and all input!

having heard the 840 with MA I'd avoid hard domed tweeters or any speaker that could insoire fatigue.
Perhaps look at Wharfedale, PMC 'i' series...

magicrabbit

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
I tried several speakers with my Cambridge Audio 851A.

I notably tested the JM Reynaud Cantabile, the Epos Elan 35, Linn Majik 140, Tannoy Precision 6.2, Rega R5, some KEF and the Spendor A6r.

At the end of the day, I was fascinated by the sound of the Spendor A6. So wide, dynamic and full of details. The basses are beautiful and accurate.

They are rather expensive, but these speakers are clearly the most 'elegant' speakers I have ever heard.

They match perfectly with the Cambridge 851A.

Otherwise, the Epos Elan 35 were really impressive too. They are more powerful than the Spendor, but also less subtle and elegant than the SPendor.

T

the record spot

You like a warm sound? Try the Pioneers I'm using now. I think you'd be impressed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts