Speakers for AT-LP3 turntable and bluetooth devices

Jul 6, 2020
Visit site
Hi Guys, newbie here so please excuse my ignorance. I've recently bought an Audi Technica AT-LP3 turntable having followed advice and research. I was hoping to connect it to my old Denon system but it hasn't worked. Instead I would like to ditch the Denon and buy speakers for a new set-up. They'll predominantly be used for the vinyl and will sit in a large room. Ideally with bluetooth too though so that I can connect other devices. I've been doing lots of research and I'm going in circles, I seem to decide on a different speaker every day!! Budget of about £400'ish.... please help! The last one I nearly bought was the Scansonic S5BT speakers.. ? Thank you!

Last edited:

ClarkNovember

May 24, 2009
Visit site
Just to be clear (and help people come up with suitable suggestions):

- you are looking for powered/active speakers to connect directly to your turntable?

- Your turntable has a built in phono stage so that would work fine. Your speakers would need to have volume controls that were easily accessible as you aren’t using a pre-amp so presumably you are looking for a model with a remote control?

Jul 6, 2020
Visit site
Just to be clear (and help people come up with suitable suggestions):

- you are looking for powered/active speakers to connect directly to your turntable?

- Your turntable has a built in phono stage so that would work fine. Your speakers would need to have volume controls that were easily accessible as you aren’t using a pre-amp so presumably you are looking for a model with a remote control?
Thanks for the reply. Yes you are correct, ideally it would have a remote control for volume. In addition to that requirement, it might prove difficult to hard-wire cables to remote speaker locations so they would need to work well if they are close together or alternatively have some sort of wireless capability.
Thank you

ClarkNovember

May 24, 2009
Visit site
Hopefully someone will chip in with some ideas but the options in that price range that I am aware of are more for computer desktop or TV soundbar alternatives, I’m not sure they would suit a large room.

For example I use a pair of Ruark MR1s for TV sound which I think is a great solution but they may not give you enough oomph for pure music listening.

For models that have a separate hub and bigger speakers and drivers, you are normally looking at a higher price. I know you mention an old Denon system you had so I wonder if you’ve considered the DM41 packaged with some passive speakers? Again you’d probably have to have a listen to see if they are going to work for your room but you may be able to get a good deal at around your budget.

Have you got a Richer Sounds or John Lewis that you can go to in order to get an idea of what might work for you soundwise?

Reactions: LinsolnshirePoacher
Jul 6, 2020
Visit site
Thank you for that. The ability to upgrade components if I have a separate amp is certainly appealing. In my naivity I hadn't realised that those speakers I was looking at were more low-duty. I am now starting to wonder whether my £400 would be better spent on just an amp so that I can continue using my existing old Denon SC-M5K speakers and go for a proper speaker upgrade when the budget allows. Then again where to stop!? I don't want to sell myself short on an amp now....? Any and all advice is very gratefully received. Thank you

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts