Speakers dilemma

TJH

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Hi, I'm about to replace my old seperates set up (Kenwood CD starting to play up) for a Denon RCD M40 mini set up. I was going to keep my Mission 780es speakers and then I read the review on the Mission LX2's. These are the same size as my 780es speakers but I'm wondering wether I will notice much of a difference. My seperates set up was bought about 13-15 years ago.

I would very much appreciate any of your thoughts and ideas on this.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
If you do a quick search you will find previous threads regarding the Mission 780se's.

Both the se's and normal 780's were both circa £300 in their day. And they were WHF award winners back at the begining of the noughties. So I suggest you home demo the LX2's if you can.

I have a pair of 780's (now boxed up as spares) and I would not consider selling them. I assumed, rightly or wrongly that they are the equivalent of £500 speakers in today's prices.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
jonathanRD said:
If you do a quick search you will find previous threads regarding the Mission 780se's.

Both the se's and normal 780's were both circa £300 in their day. And they were WHF award winners back at the begining of the noughties. So I suggest you home demo the LX2's if you can.

I have a pair of 780's (now boxed up as spares) and I would not consider selling them. I assumed, rightly or wrongly that they are the equivalent of £500 speakers in today's prices.

I also had a pair of 780SE's and they were fine sounding speakers. I built myself a pair of their (very) big cousin the 753's back in 1995. Believe it or not I purchased all eight mid/low frequency drivers, two high frequency drivers and a pair of crossovers (direct from Mission I might add!) for £85. Just goes to show that components don't have to cost a fortune for a speaker to sound great!

I used to own the big brother 781's and there mid range was lovely although the bass could get a bit wayward and ponderous.but I remember Sinead O'conners voice sounded sooooo good through them.Alas sadly both mid bass drivers died and after some research.....this did seem to be a common fault with them (the 781's that is)I think the 780's used a smaller driver.

TJH

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the input guys much appreciated. I've just seen a 'Bundle offer' on the Audio Visual Online website that has The M40 + LX2 speakers + 4m QED 79 strand cable with fisual plugs for £299. inc free delivery!

I think it's too good an offer to pass up as the full cost should be £379

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
TJH said:
Thanks for the input guys much appreciated. I've just seen a 'Bundle offer' on the Audio Visual Online website that has The M40 + LX2 speakers + 4m QED 79 strand cable with fisual plugs for £299. inc free delivery!

I think it's too good an offer to pass up as the full cost should be £379

How it sounds, wont you?

manix

May 31, 2016
Visit site
Gazzip said:
jonathanRD said:

I also had a pair of 780SE's and they were fine sounding speakers. I built myself a pair of their (very) big cousin the 753's back in 1995. Believe it or not I purchased all eight mid/low frequency drivers, two high frequency drivers and a pair of crossovers (direct from Mission I might add!) for £85. Just goes to show that components don't have to cost a fortune for a speaker to sound great!

If we are talking about 1995 they are not the same speakers.

If these speakers came from the early 2000's they are a big step up from what you are talking about and look nothing like the old 780se. If I rememeber correct the early 2000's 780se retailed £350-400 direct competitor to the B&W 685 at the time. Also I think they were the last range of Mission's with the words made in England.

manix

May 31, 2016
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
I used to own the big brother 781's and there mid range was lovely although the bass could get a bit wayward and ponderous.but I remember Sinead O'conners voice sounded sooooo good through them.Alas sadly both mid bass drivers died and after some research.....this did seem to be a common fault with them (the 781's that is)I think the 780's used a smaller driver.

Being the se version he should have the upgraded tweeters and crossover. Yeah the main drivers had problems but the updated versions of the drivers from the French company don't suffer from the issue. Unfortunatly the upgraded French drivers have run out and IAG supply a driver manufactured in their Chinese facilities now. Personally I don't think the IAG replacement sounds as good - to me not quite as smooth.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
manix said:
Gazzip said:
jonathanRD said:

If we are talking about 1995 they are not the same speakers.

If these speakers came from the early 2000's they are a big step up from what you are talking about and look nothing like the old 780se. If I rememeber correct the early 2000's 780se retailed £350-400 direct competitor to the B&W 685 at the time. Also I think they were the last range of Mission's with the words made in England.

Confusingly, I think the first 780 was introduced in 1991 and upgraded to the 780se in 1994. By the end of 1999 they were back to the 780 again. I purchased my 780's in December 1999, and had the bass drivers replaced in 2006. They are definately different to the 780se's as the sensitivity figures are different. I remember demoing them against a similarly priced B&W (probably 685) and have £350 in my mind as the selling price.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts