Speakers around 400 pounds

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all

How would these 5 speakers, around 400 pounds, perform in a group test?

Monitor Audio BR 5

Monitor Audio Silver RS1

KEF iQ5SE

EPOS M5

B&W 685

Cheers.

A

Anonymous

Revolvers RW16s absolutely destroys all of those to my ears,I haven't heard the B&W,but the rest I have,and to me Revolvers any day of the week followed by Epos.

A

Anonymous

Thanks to all who have replied.

It would be nice not only to know your choice but why you made that choice. Surely, there are no right or wrong answers here; just like to know why you prefer one to another. For example, Mr_Wazoo and Silly, I like to know your views on the AVI Neutron IV and Revolvers RW16s.

I am also interested to know how different models under the same brand compare. Eg:

Monitor Audio BR 5 vs MA Silver RS1 vs MA Silver RS6

EPOS M5 vs EPOS M12.2 ( the 12.2 won a group test in Feb 2007, What HiFi?)

B&W 685- anyone heard them? ('It's been a while since B&W had a superstar product at this price level' - What HiFi?)

KEF iQ5SE -('star performers at the price'- What Hi-Fi?)

Any comments on the above speakers? Cheers.

A

Anonymous

I own the Neutron IIIs, have done for 2 years now. They are great speakers especially for a smaller room.

A

Anonymous

Why the Revolvers?Simply because they have one of the best midbands for that price,arn't over bright,they sound punchy,can manage to throw out a huge soundstage,full of depth,it's sounds very holographic,and isn't voiced to boom'n'tizz.Plus the better the rest of the equipment the better they can get,the down side? they can sound a bit lost in larger spaces,but then you would use the RW33.

I just find the KEFiQ range=tinny and bright Monitor audio=tinny,metallic and unatural,different strokes for different folks,but I don't like this tinny bright thin sound.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="thai"]Any comments on the above speakers? Cheers[/quote]

I have own a pair of Monitor Audio before and I sold them on soon after, never a big fan of MA although the smaller BR are quite good, Epos however keep on producing speakers that have fun factor, regardless of model. I never heard the new B&W unbalanced looking speakers but if they sound as good as the older 600 series then B&W will be even more poppular. Kef however, at this price point, are un-touchable imo.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
The Neutrons are a class act but they don;t allow biwire or biamp. Alternatively some Dali Ikon 2s. The Epos m12.2 is also a good speaker.

A

Anonymous

Don't allow bi-wire? So what! Only a problem if you want to bi-amp, and how many people do that?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="mr_wazoo"]
Don't allow bi-wire? So what! Only a problem if you want to bi-amp, and how many people do that?

[/quote]

Don't go down that road mate......it's gonna be another long thread (waiting for Anton)
emotion-15.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Thaiman"]

Kef!

[/quote]

Hi All.Thaiman you recommend the Kefs.I bought 1 weeks ago kef q5 and also marantz pm7001 amplifier but i was t impressed with the performance specially with the basses.So i took it back but i kept the q5 .Now i have no amplifiers.Can you recommend amplifier for the q5 which would play nice deep bass from low volume?I like deep dynamic bass

A

Anonymous

I would have thought the problem with bass issues would be more with the speakers,dont those kefs just use 13cm drivers?Hence your not going to get deep bass from such small drivers.Maybe have a look at NAD amps which are quite warm in the bass if a bit on the woolly side.

A

Anonymous

Yes ,the iq5 they use 13cm drivers but the q5 use 16,5cm drivers and the q5 is more sensitive than the iq5.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the feedback. Would like to repeat my earlier post at this point of the thread to keep the discussion going:

How would the following speakers fare in a group test? It would be nice to know what and why you pick a certain model. Everybody is entitled to his/her opinion; no right or wrong answers here.

Monitor Audio BR 5, MA Silver RS1, MA Silver RS6

EPOS M5, EPOS M12.2 ( the 12.2 won a group test in Feb 2007, What HiFi?)

B&W 685- anyone heard them? ('It's been a while since B&W had a superstar product at this price level' - What HiFi?)

KEF iQ5SE -('star performers at the price'- What Hi-Fi?)

Any other speakers which impress you? Let's keep the discussion for speakers below 500 pounds.

Cheers.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="thai"]
Thanks for all the feedback. Would like to repeat my earlier post at this point of the thread to keep the discussion going:

How would the following speakers fare in a group test? It would be nice to know what and why you pick a certain model. Everybody is entitled to his/her opinion; no right or wrong answers here.

[/quote]

Seriously, how would anyone know, unless they'd done such a group test???

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
In three weeks' time you'll find out in our Awards issue....

[/quote]

I refer the right-honourable gentleman to the answer I gave earlier!

A

Anonymous

Mr_Wazoo, good day, I don't really mean a 'group test' literally; just wanted to hear opinions about the speakers in the group.

And Mr Thaiman, I am not Thai, I am a Singaporean living in Singapore. Thai is my real name. Singapore used to be a British colony and English is widely spoken here. BTW, are you Thai yourself? If yes, sawadee khrap.

A

Anonymous

And what about my mission 753s?
They only cost me a couple of hundred pounds!

Or is that cheating?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts