Speakers and room size.

Jonesiani

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
Hello all.

First post!:)

My question.....

Is/are there any sources of information regarding speaker type and room size?

I am looking for my first house, and say if my living room was 4m x 3m, would you go for floor standers or bookshelf speakers?

Thanks!

Ragworm

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
Congratulations on breaking your duck!

As always, there are no hard and fast rules, only guidelines. My lounge is only a tad larger than yours and I had to sell my floorstanders (B&W DM603s3) when I moved in. I'm on my second pair of standmounts now (PMC TB2+). The other thing to bear in mind with a room of that size is how close to the wall you want your speakers to be. Some speakers need space around them, others benefit from being close to the wall and some (like mine) are reasonably neutral.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi there and welcome.

I agree with Ragworm. There are so many variables that a definitive answer is impossible eg.

- There room itself and how it's decorated
- Personal taste
- The speaker design (there are bass heavy standmounts and lean sounding floorstanders)
- The type of music played
- Ancillary equipment
- Positioning and isolation
- How loud the music is played

The secret is a home demo of a variety of speakers and see what you think.

Jonesiani

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the input.

Once i have bought a house i'll seek more advice.

I've only heard the Kef Q500's which i thought were wonderfull, but lacked bass (and i'm not a fan of huge bass).

A

Anonymous

if u looking for balanced sound get bookshelf , if not just get some logitech 4.1 it will be much much cheaper

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
A home demo is essential for speakers - you never just listen to the speakers, you listen to each unique combination of speakers and room

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts