Speakers and pre amps

Carl bellwood

Apr 25, 2020
Visit site
I have recently purchased an audio technica ATLp 5 turntable which has a built-in preamp which I find OK not great though can anyone please recommend a good pair of speakers to use the turntable via its phono stage rather than the built in preamp many thanks Carl bellwood

The preamp output you mention can be used directly to a pair of powered speakers but more normally it goes to an amplifier to which you attach underpowered speakers.
If you want to use the photo output of the turntable you will need an amplifier.
You don't mention amplifier, so do you have one?
What's the rest of your kit.

Carl bellwood

Apr 25, 2020
Visit site
The preamp output you mention can be used directly to a pair of powered speakers but more normally it goes to an amplifier to which you attach underpowered speakers.
If you want to use the photo output of the turntable you will need an amplifier.
You don't mention amplifier, so do you have one?
What's the rest of your kit.
Thanks for replying I'm currently using just the built in preamp and pioneer dm40 speakers I have no amplifier etc the set up is OK but want it sounding better many thanks Carl bellwood

Any ideas as I don't want to use the turntable built in preamp
In that case you're going to need to get an amp and change the speakers I believe, but someone else may have different ideas. Plus you could buy a separate phono preamp thus bypassing the one in your turntable, of better quality, to feed the speakers you have, which is probably the least expensive way to go

chris661

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
Yep.

However, it's difficult to know what the issue is here - it could be a sub-par set of speakers, or it could be the preamp.
Given that it's very very difficult to make a decent pair of speakers, and relatively easy to make a half-decent preamp, I know which my money is on.

Chris

Pokey

Mar 18, 2020
Visit site
When you‘re just looking at active speakers with a built-in phono stage, you limit yourself to very few decent options though. Are passive speakers coupled with an integrated amp an option? What‘s your budget, room size and music you listen to?

rainsoothe

The phono pre in the LP 5 is pretty decent, imo. You could just add a pair of Acoustic Energy AE 1 actives (or the less elegant, remoteless but still good sounding solution of active studio monitors) and be done with it. If you want a more traditional setup, any of these would do just great - Quad Vena 2, Rega Brio, Cyrus One HD (or even the One if you don't need digital inputs). Add Elac Debut B6.2 or the Triangle BR03, and you'll have a cracking system, imo.

daytona600

Klipsch R-41PM
Integrated phono pre-amp , Bluetooth , IR remote , DAC USB , Optical , RCA & Sub out
Also replaces a soundbar for your TV & ideal for desktop PC monitor / games

AT95Ex upgrade to a jico hyper elliptical or shibata stylus for better sound

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-26IjMsho0c

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts