speaker wire and banana plugs

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
finally got my castle durhams (sound awesome) but my speaker wire is about a year old so i want to replace it, i want to spend abot £10 per meter can anyone help and also banana plugs shall i or not bother with them any more

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
teamdolly:finally got my castle durhams (sound awesome) but my speaker wire is about a year old so i want to replace it, i want to spend abot £10 per meter can anyone help and also banana plugs shall i or not bother with them any more

Plugs for sure at the amp end and you might as well put them at the speaker end as well for all they cost. Chord Rumour 2 is a good quality cable that should work well with the Castle's. What electronics do you have?

A

Anonymous

EDITED BY MODS - please do not attack other users.

Hardly an attack, surely?

By removing the whole post there is no context to your reply and you now make it look that I was being offensive.

I was merely trying to help someone, using a little humour, verging on mockery.

It was put in context with a smiley.

Please try to be even handed, rather than heavy handed.

This is a forum to learn; directly and indirectly I was doing that.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Personally I see no real benefit in banana plugs. Makes connecting easier and tidier (especially round the back of the amp), but really - I'd sooner buy a bit better cable...

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Big Aura:Personally I see no real benefit in banana plugs. Makes connecting easier and tidier (especially round the back of the amp), but really - I'd sooner buy a bit better cable...

The number of people we have calling to inform us the amp is broken when it is actually shorting out means we recommend plugs to everyone. For the sake of the £20 or so you get a nice neat solid connection and it is simple to disconnect and re-connect. I dont go into all the sonic benefits etc etc to me it is just practical.

Nick

A

Anonymous

Yes I have 28 airlock plugs in mine, but it is much safer than risking a short and blowing something.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
TheHomeCinemaCentre:The number of people we have calling to inform us the amp is broken when it is actually shorting out means we recommend plugs to everyone. For the sake of the £20 or so you get a nice neat solid connection and it is simple to disconnect and re-connect. I dont go into all the sonic benefits etc etc to me it is just practical.

...And reviewers love them because they're quicker/easier/safer when doing fast A/B comparisons.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
I use banana plugs on all 3 amps in my house and all speakers are banana'd other than the ones that are wall mounted so I can't fit plugs due to space constraints. I would always advocate using plugs, it does neaten things up and if you muck around at the back of your rack as much as I do, it makes it a lot easier to simply unplug/plug them than unscrewing speaker posts and twisting wires. I use cheap plastic ones on my AVR and metal screw down ones on my hifi amp. I must admit it broke my heart having to cut QED Airlocs off when I moved things around......

A

Anonymous

For some reason the 4mm banana plugs on my QED Anniversary fits into my Tannoy binding posts but not the posts on my TX-SR606. The holes in the amp just aren't wide enough to take the plugs. Are all the plugs on the market the same width or do they vary?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Big Aura:7.1 system, bi-wired fronts, each end - that's a lot of plugs! If you could've done that for me for £20, I'd have been first in line...!

Yes, but on average, people will have 10 plugs (2 for each speaker in a 5.1) going into their receiver and you can quite comfortably get 10 plugs on ebay or similar for £20 and fit them yourself.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Gatwick Flyer:For some reason the 4mm banana plugs on my QED Anniversary fits into my Tannoy binding posts but not the posts on my TX-SR606. The holes in the amp just aren't wide enough to take the plugs. Are all the plugs on the market the same width or do they vary?

You have removed the EU-pleasing black plastic safety bungs in the end of the binding posts, haven't you?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Gatwick Flyer:For some reason the 4mm banana plugs on my QED Anniversary fits into my Tannoy binding posts but not the posts on my TX-SR606. The holes in the amp just aren't wide enough to take the plugs. Are all the plugs on the market the same width or do they vary?

You have removed the EU-pleasing black plastic safety bungs in the end of the binding posts, haven't you?

Andy H

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

There's an echo in here

A

Anonymous

Quick one on the subject:

My vdh "The Clearwater" is biwired and the amp (840A) it becomes quite thick. Would it be advisable to therefore use spades in that case as I struggle to get all that bare cable through on the binding post?

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:

Yes I've removed the plastic bungs from the terminals.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:Big Aura:7.1 system, bi-wired fronts, each end - that's a lot of plugs! If you could've done that for me for £20, I'd have been first in line...! Yes, but on average, people will have 10 plugs (2 for each speaker in a 5.1) going into their receiver and you can quite comfortably get 10 plugs on ebay or similar for £20 and fit them yourself. Indeed. No need to go to ebay you would pay that in a store In fact if you were buying 14 runs of cable and a sub cable the cost of the plugs would be zero would with me.

Nick

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts