Speaker upgrade?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am in the process of upgrading my hi-fi with the aid of a well known auction website! Currently have Cyrus CD7, Rosan Kandy MkIII amp, vintage Arcam Alpha tuner and Mission 780se (original set from early 90's).

Looking for suggestions to replace the Missions as I think they are the weak link. All opinions welcome!

Thanks.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Welcome to the forum :)

What do you think your budget will be and what music do you listen to?

Also; what speaker cable and interconnects do you use?

T

the record spot

Barhillbob:
I am in the process of upgrading my hi-fi with the aid of a well known auction website! Currently have Cyrus CD7, Rosan Kandy MkIII amp, vintage Arcam Alpha tuner and Mission 780se (original set from early 90's).

Looking for suggestions to replace the Missions as I think they are the weak link. All opinions welcome!

Thanks.

If you like the Mission sound of that era, then the original 752 is a superb speaker, very, very capable. Alternatively, seek out the KEF Q35.2 - both enjoyed rave reviews at the time and will partner your kit well. Both are floorstanders incidentally, the KEFs employed their Uni-Q driver.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your replies.

My room measures 5m x 4.5m, would floorstanders be too much for this?

I am using Chord Crimson interconnects, Monitor Audio Pureflow speaker cable (bi-wired with QED airloc terminations).

My budget would ideally be a maximum of £300. Do I need to spend more to get an appeciable improvement over the Missions?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the update Bob.

IMO your systems weak link is the speakers but if you could up your budget to around £450/£500 you could match the rest of the system with B&W 685 speakers on decent stands (i.e. Partington Super Dreadnoughts).

Another set of speakers that would marry well would be the M/A BR2 speakers and they'd also do well on decent stands (i.e. Atacama or SoundStyle stands).

You've not mentioned what music you listen to though. That would be handy.

A

Anonymous

I am currently using Atacama stands (sand-filled).

My musical taste is very eclectic; classical (opera to string quartet), rock, bluegrass on CD. Radio 2, 3 and 4 on the tuner.

I like the sound of the Missions, sweet treble and tight bass. They are very 'musical' and I had been listening to them for many years with a Marantz 6010ose. With the upgraded source and amp I guess the budget could be stretched!

A

Anonymous

I too was looking to replace my original 780se's on the end of my Cyrus kit but after auditioning what I could afford decided to stick to the old faithfuls until I could afford Spendors!

A

Anonymous

I rather think my budget may need to be extended too! Have recently auditioned the Montor Audio BR2 and RS1 but didn't think the improvement was that noticeable. A little more bass power certainly but timing no better than the oldies.

Watching some Ruark Icons on 'the' auction website at the moment. Anybody have experience of these and whether they would be a worthy replacement for the 780se?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Have you considered the Rega RS3's? Theyre floorstanders but only just!

Very small speakers but very, VERY musical and would suit your tastes in music

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts