Quiting smoking allows prospect of new amp or speakers...

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Quit day is Tuesday the 10th, and after setting that date at the beginning of the year it is now looming large. So what better incentive than the promise of a new stereo amp or speakers come Christmas time (theoretically should have saved over £1500 by then!).

Whilst I am generally very happy with my system, I can't help but suspect that I'm not getting everything out of the Sonneteer CDP that it has to offer. (Sonneteer "cost" £750 back in 2001 - was actually an insurance claim to replace Arcam Alpha 5+). The amp (Onix - £370 in 1997) and Ruark Icons (£350, again 1997) are now 12 years old, so the first task is to determine which of the two is the weak link.

I suspect it is the amp, as I have no complaints with the Ruarks when on surround sound duty with the Onkyo. It is also 'only' 40W per channel, which whilst I know watts don't necessarily translate in to sound quality, in my case I do wonder if it is a factor. Overall the system sounds great - particularly when not pushed too hard. By that I mean in terms of complexity of music, not volume. So guitar, drum, vocal solos etc sound fantastic - can't fault the sound in-fact. But when tracks get seriously busy - anything that has the "wall of sound" label applied to it, for example - the sound loses focus and starts to sound muddled. Something (amp or speakers) simply isn't coping with all that information being fed in to it. Poorly produced cd's sound particularly bad, but I think I'd rather stick with that "honesty" than add warmth to cd's that *are* well produced (which sound fab).

So, any comments on amp vs speakers being the problem would be appreciated. But at this early stage, my main question is - what price range should I be looking at to complement the Sonneteer, and to make a noticeable difference. I read somewhere, once upon a time, that when upgrading you need to spend 3 times the cost of the original purchase. So that means I'm looking at spending about £1000 on either a new amp or new speakers - does that sound about right?

cheers

ps The Plinius gear in the WHF UG look fab (originally from NZ so I would say that), but don't think I can stretch to that! 
emotion-9.gif

A

Anonymous

What happens when a Kiwi arrives in Australia? The average IQ goes up in both countries.

Anyway, don't know the amp so can't comment, but it might be worth auditioning the Unison Research Unico amp, the more expensive Marantz models and the Cyrus gear that everyone seems to love. That'll give you a fair spread of sound types available, and which one if any improves the clarity and focus of your system. That'll also tell you how you feel about the speakers, and whether they need an upgrade as well.

Good luck with the non-smoking. I'm up to 8 years now, and it still feels good every morning not to have the odour of last night's stale cigarettes in my nose when I wake up.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Tarquinh:
What happens when a Kiwi arrives in Australia? The average IQ goes up in both countries.

'Tis true ÿ
emotion-4.gif

Thanks for kicking off the replies - gives me a good starting point. And a home demo definitely required with the "non-mainstream" (I think it's fair to say) kit I have.

Quit smoking 7 years ago for a month shy of 3 years - can't wait to be off the b*****y things again. Thing is we (my other half smokes too, and is quiting too) have, what, £3k+ of kit in the living room, but as we have a rule only to smoke in the conservatory (sounds posher than it is - lean-to is a better word) we spend most our evenings watching freeview tv (now analogue since the dvr died) on a 26" hitachi tv.ÿ

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
I gave up cigarettes years ago (though still have one on special occasions, such as when I'm drunk, which isn't often these days), but smoke a pipe and cigars.

I only smoke in the evenings - I love settling down to watch a good film, or play a good game, with my best pipe in my mouth!
emotion-1.gif

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
margetti:
Quit day is Tuesday the 10th, and after setting that date at the beginning of the year it is now looming large. So what better incentive than the promise of a new stereo amp or speakers come Christmas time (theoretically should have saved over £1500 by then!).

Whilst I am generally very happy with my system, I can't help but suspect that I'm not getting everything out of the Sonneteer CDP that it has to offer. (Sonneteer "cost" £750 back in 2001 - was actually an insurance claim to replace Arcam Alpha 5+). The amp (Onix - £370 in 1997) and Ruark Icons (£350, again 1997) are now 12 years old, so the first task is to determine which of the two is the weak link.

I suspect it is the amp, as I have no complaints with the Ruarks when on surround sound duty with the Onkyo. It is also 'only' 40W per channel, which whilst I know watts don't necessarily translate in to sound quality, in my case I do wonder if it is a factor. Overall the system sounds great - particularly when not pushed too hard. By that I mean in terms of complexity of music, not volume. So guitar, drum, vocal solos etc sound fantastic - can't fault the sound in-fact. But when tracks get seriously busy - anything that has the "wall of sound" label applied to it, for example - the sound loses focus and starts to sound muddled. Something (amp or speakers) simply isn't coping with all that information being fed in to it. Poorly produced cd's sound particularly bad, but I think I'd rather stick with that "honesty" than add warmth to cd's that *are* well produced (which sound fab).

So, any comments on amp vs speakers being the problem would be appreciated. But at this early stage, my main question is - what price range should I be looking at to complement the Sonneteer, and to make a noticeable difference. I read somewhere, once upon a time, that when upgrading you need to spend 3 times the cost of the original purchase. So that means I'm looking at spending about £1000 on either a new amp or new speakers - does that sound about right?

cheers

ps The Plinius gear in the WHF UG look fab (originally from NZ so I would say that), but don't think I can stretch to that!ÿ
emotion-9.gif
ÿÿ

ÿ

It will me much easier to give up today. Why build it up? Just stop today and each day think I won't have one and then I will never have another. You have to WANT to give up an addiction and setting up a Quit Day smacks of not really wanting to.

A

Anonymous

I'm betting he either has a best man speech or a job interview on Monday 9th.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:ÿIt will me much easier to give up today. Why build it up? Just stop today and each day think I won't have one and then I will never have another. You have to WANT to give up an addiction and setting up a Quit Day smacks of not really wanting to.

If I were single and giving up by muself, I might well take up your challenge. But other half is quiting for first time since starting 10 or 11 years ago (I myself have quit several times over the past 20 years for anything from a few days to the aforementioned 3 years, so have some experience in the matter!). We have a new sofa arriving Tuesday (current one is terrible, and is as much to blame for staying out of the living room as anything else), so quit day is all tied in to that.

Don't agree with your statement that having a quit day smacks of not wanting to give up - nothing could be further from the truth.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Gerrardasnails:setting up a Quit Day smacks of not really wanting to.Actually, Allen Carr recommends it....

That's what my other half is reading and using as her "quit method". Not my cup of tea (although I haven't read it so can't really comment) - going for traditional NRT myself.ÿ

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
its interesting, the different perspectives people have on how to give up, and interesting to see if their idea changes once theyve tried it. i, for example, was of the old school "you have to want it/just do it" mentality, but the method that worked for me (touch would) is exactly the NRT kinda thing mr carr would disaprove of, and when i went into it i was under presure from various people and felt decidedly half hearted about it, but its still working so far...

sorry, ill have to let others handle the hifi stuff at that level.

Good luck, and try to remind yourself to feel more and more liberated and healthy and, frankly, rich with every non-smoking day!

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
al7478:
Good luck, and try to remind yourself to feel more and more liberated and healthy and, frankly, rich with every non-smoking day!

Thanks - much appreciated :)ÿ

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
margetti:al7478:

Thanks - much appreciated :)ÿ

Didn't mean to sound condescending margetti. I have given up an addiction (June 18th 2003). I won't go into what it was/is but that's the way I did it.

Good luck mate.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:margetti:al7478:

Thanks - much appreciated :)

Didn't mean to sound condescending margetti. I have given up an addiction (June 18th 2003). I won't go into what it was/is but that's the way I did it. Good luck mate.

and i was in no way having a go at yoy, mr nails. as i say, we all have our methids, and sometimes we choose the wrong one (for us personally) a time or two, as i did.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:
Didn't mean to sound condescending margetti. I have given up an addiction (June 18th 2003). I won't go into what it was/is but that's the way I did it. Good luck mate.

Ah, I see your post in a different light now - thanks for following up... for me I'm throwing the proverbial kitchen sink into the various tricks/methods - having a material reward at the end of the year being just one of them.ÿ

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Can anyone give some guidance on ball-park price levels when looking to gain significant improvements over a £400-ish stereo amp?

A

Anonymous

I would say get a Sonneteer amp to partner your CD player. What's your budget?

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Octopo:I would say get a Sonneteer amp to partner your CD player. What's your budget?

Doh! Now that's just too b****y obvious and I can't believe I didn't think of that!
emotion-10.gif

Budget is whatever it takes for it to be worthwhile - which is why I'm asking as this is a bit of a long term savings plan. Don't want to aim to save, say £800, only to find I'll need, say, £1200 to make a marked difference.

Thanksÿ

A

Anonymous

margetti:
Octopo:I would say get a Sonneteer amp to partner your CD player. What's your budget?

Doh! Now that's just too b****y obvious and I can't believe I didn't think of that!
emotion-10.gif

Budget is whatever it takes for it to be worthwhile - which is why I'm asking as this is a bit of a long term savings plan. Don't want to aim to save, say £800, only to find I'll need, say, £1200 to make a marked difference.

Thanksÿ

So you're looking for ......... ........ for £.... ?ÿ

A

Anonymous

when i used to think about this and ask in shops i got told you'd probably have to double your spending to get a significant improvement, so about 800. I think that makes sense since i didn't think the naim cd 5i was that much better than the nad c542 even thought its twice as much. noticed more difference with the amps.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Octopo:
So you're looking for ......... ........ for £.... ?ÿ

Well, if I put £5.50 (representing a pack of cigarrettes a day) into a jar each day for the rest of the year I'll have £1500, but I don't think it will work out like that in practice! So, let's say a nice round £1,000 to start off.

Just been googling (as you do) and I'm looking at the Campion and Alabaster right now. Early days, but Stone Audio list the Sonneteer Byron (my CDP) at £1200 - it was £750 back in 2001. Have prices risen that much in 8 years! If that is an accurate price, I think I'd want to push the budget to the Alabaster (also £1200)... home demo required to make that decision though me-thinks...ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts