hi there, bought the pioneer n-50a and the cambridge cx60 amp about 4 months ago, i have been using my ma bx2 speakers but would like to upgrade, i dont think iam getting the true performance from my pioneer and cx60 through these can anyone suggest a good fit for these with a budget of around 350, cheers

TomSawyer

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
Speakers are a very personal choice so if you want a result you're pleased with you need to audition. You don't say what you think the BX2s lack or whether you're looking for another set of strand mounters.

An obvious place to start might be Cambridge Aero 6s which I must admit I haven't heard but have heard good things of and one would expect would have a good synergy with the amp as well as being £349.

james_LR90

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
You should also have a look at the NVA Cubette at £300. If you sign up to the HiFi subjectivist forum there may even be a loan pair available for you to demo at home.

TomSawyer said:
Speakers are a very personal choice so if you want a result you're pleased with you need to audition. You don't say what you think the BX2s lack or whether you're looking for another set of strand mounters.

An obvious place to start might be Cambridge Aero 6s which I must admit I haven't heard but have heard good things of and one would expect would have a good synergy with the amp as well as being £349.

Seconded. Go audition.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Much depends on your room really. Could you give us an idea of room size, shape and acoustics (is it a well-damped or reflective room?) Also how close to the back wall do you have to site your speakers? Are you looking for standmounts again?

The BX2's are front-ported, but many other speakers aren't, so bass issues may be something to be careful about if changing speakers.

Is there anything about the sound that you feel needs improving? Just be careful with 'upgrading'. I upgraded to MA Golds a while back but actually preferred the speakers from the ranges below. If you like the MA house sound, you could take a look at MA Silver 1 or 2. There are plenty about used, particularly the predecessors the Silver RX1 or RX2. They use similar drivers to your BXs but have much improved cabinets - they're beautifully finished too. But they are rear-ported.

However if you don't actually like the tonal balance of the BX's, then there's little point in sticking with MA, in which case the advice to just go and demo some different speakers is sound.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
a pairing of the Pioneer N-50 and the Q Acoustics Concept 20's, with Roksan amplification and they sounded great. Thing was the stands cost an extra £199 on top...I really liked the speakers.

matthewpiano

For £350 you aren't going to get 'better' than your BX2s, but you could get 'different', and that different might suit you better.

In order to advise you more usefully it would be helpful if you could let us know what particular characteristics of the MAs you feel are holding your system back.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Leeps said:
Much depends on your room really. Could you give us an idea of room size, shape and acoustics (is it a well-damped or reflective room?) Also how close to the back wall do you have to site your speakers? Are you looking for standmounts again?

The BX2's are front-ported, but many other speakers aren't, so bass issues may be something to be careful about if changing speakers.

Is there anything about the sound that you feel needs improving? Just be careful with 'upgrading'. I upgraded to MA Golds a while back but actually preferred the speakers from the ranges below. If you like the MA house sound, you could take a look at MA Silver 1 or 2. There are plenty about used, particularly the predecessors the Silver RX1 or RX2. They use similar drivers to your BXs but have much improved cabinets - they're beautifully finished too. But they are rear-ported.

However if you don't actually like the tonal balance of the BX's, then there's little point in sticking with MA, in which case the advice to just go and demo some different speakers is sound.

MA RX1's are excellent and a steal second hand. I can also vouch for the BX2's but the RX's are in a different league - much better, to my ears and taste. Speakers are a very personal thing though. Research and audition. However, buying blind 2nd hand isn't the worst thing in the world if you do your homework, ive never lost money buying this way

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts