Speaker upgrade technicians

Shildondurham

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Iv got some well used celestion dl4 bookshelfs. Im fancying getting them upgraded/refurbed. I'm in durham area if anyone can recommend someone. They seem well enough just ageing and 1 tweeter has a small dent, will this be affecting sound quality? Will a upgrade achieve much? Most helpfull answer wins a prize

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
My suggestion when people pose these questions is always the same one. Decide how much money you could throw at a new pair, take your current pair round to a dealers and ask to demo against new models within budget. If something new impresses you, buy it. If not, walk away with your money still in your sky rocket.

The problem is people don't want to be arsed going to that trouble, or they genuinely may not be able to find a HiFi dealer within reasonable travelling distance, and really what they're wanting by asking such questions is for other forumites to give them definative advice. But the truth is, nobody can.

There. That's your best answer. You will not get a better answer than that, but it might not be the response you consider the most helpful.

Good luck...being on the hunt for new kit (especially speakers) can be really enjoyable.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
A renowned speaker designer once replied on this question if dents affect the driver performance. His answer was "yes, more or less".

With textile and poly domed tweeters this is less of a risk and you can usually easily repair the dent with a bit of tape or vacuum cleaner. But with rigit materials like paper and metal it's a different story. Depends if the dent has twisted the ring where the voice coil is wound. This may affect the pistonic behavior of the tweeter.

Considering these are aluminium dome tweeters, best thing to do is to replace them with original drivers. I see a pair is currently being sold on ebay. These were popular speakers and replacement tweeters will be on ebay occasionally.

Shildondurham

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
All taken aboard. I was just fushing really its not something iv had any experience with. All that set me off was iv read things before where people had bought old speakers and put new capacitors and other oarts and it had improved them and wondered if this was a popular thing with various people doing it.

the dent is very small and i cant notice any faults compared to the other not pointing any fingers but i think the kids have if u get my drift!!

thanks for help but i guess its just simething people do who diy with such things

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts