Speaker Upgrade for C/A 640 A

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hoping to upgrade from my Wharfy 9.1's to try and squeeze more from my C/A 640 combo and would appreciate any thoughts advice on the best options for the audition list.

Happy to look at floor standers or stand mounts.

What level do you think I should go to before spending too much for the 640's capabilities.....Would it be worth spending more to avoid any future speaker upgrade when upgrading from the 640's?

I listen to a wide spectrum from G &R AC/DC to piano and Tchaikovsky plus other metal and rock.

The 9.1's are great for the money but the time is near to get something which will go 'lower' and also keep the brightness of the 640's in check as much as possible.[:)]

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
i think you have to demo and with the ca640 pair being from richer sounds i would if you did go back to the rs's that you got and demo a few pairs of speakers.
imo try these i have seen people in there kit have these with your 640 kit
M/S mezzo2's
Kef iq5se (fs)
dali leckor1's
and 10.1's by whalfdale

matthewpiano

You should try the Quad 11Ls. Fabulous speakers with monitor-like flat response, and they work very well with Cambridge amps. A massive upgrade on your Wharfedales.

The MS Mezzo 2s also work very well with CA amplification and are a slightly warmer sounding design.

Forget the Diamond 10.1s. Too much of a sideways step.

vinod_david

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
I have the 640 combo driving RS6 for the past two years, and somehow I feel the 640 is unable to extract much from the RS6. IMO, an upgrade from your existing BS to the RX1/RX2 or the 11L1/2 would justify the amp rather than a FS.

A

Anonymous

Thanks to all for the input
emotion-21.gif

In summary it is suggested that the best option for the 640 are the MS's/ Quads / MA's in the £300/400 range. To go beyond these would be above the 640's station?

What is a "FS" ....cheers?

A

Anonymous

Doh! of course..FS!

I am concerned about the the best shortlist to audition as the brightness is still there even though it is less sharp than it was. As I have piled on the hours of listening I don't think I'm imagining the reduction of sharpness but it is still bright and guess always will be.

Ear is concerned the Quads may not help so that leaves MA and MS..

Any other 640 users out there who might be able to add one or two suggestions to give decent bottom end but control the brightness?

Nooby:

Thanks to all for the input
emotion-21.gif

In summary it is suggested that the best option for the 640 are the MS's/ Quads / MA's in the £300/400 range. To go beyond these would be above the 640's station?

What is a "FS" ....cheers?

I would say avoid MA, Quads and MSs. I would look at Epos M5is or M12s, EB acoustics EB1s or KEF speakers - or even Wharfedale 10.1s.

A

Anonymous

Hi Ear

Yep as far as I know this is true....( but as my threads have shown) I have experienced almost sibilant brightness with my system. Eventually bought Chord Carn. Silv. and a Chord Interconnect which helped mainly on the bass as opposed to the the treble.

The system has eased on this awful sharpness at the high end as it has aged. I don't know what has caused this easing, but at least I can now enjoy it (mostly) A while back it had me climbing the walls on some CD's.

I understand the 650 range has adjustment available to reduce this sharpness if desired.

So yes...def. need speakers which will keep the brightness of the 640's in check.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts