Speaker suggestions, approx £2.5k?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
From standmounts I've heard, Dali Rubicon 2 are awesome. I would also suggest Harbeth P3 ESR XD. Very natural sounding. Amphion Argon 1s are incredible little speakers.

Also heard the MA Gold 100. Not overly impressed

I know you don't want floorstanders but Neat SX2 are very impressive, and very dinky. As regards dinky floorstanders, Totem Arros are amazing.
Rubicons are def on the list, and the dealer has the active version floorstanders, i think r6c. I hope to be going back to hear them.
I heard the Neat sx1, which i presume are the same but with an extra driver. The drivers are the same size. I was impressed with bass, but i thought i could hear a real colourstion, or even restraint to the speaker. The bass was super impressive though.
Good to hear about the MA gold. They were on my list, althoigh had a feeling they wouldnt be for me, simply going on the sound of the old silver i heard some time ago.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your write up. Very interesting. Mostly reflects what I’ve heard at various times, especially the PMCs.

You wouldn’t be the first person to realise the benefit of a decent amplifier. I’ve always found that makes a big difference. About five years ago I bought a I32 Primare, the predecessor of the I35. It’s clean, powerful and open - ideal for auditioning speakers imv.
Do you still have the Primare? If not, what did you go for next. And yep, clean os definitely the word i was looking for....super clean and powerful.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
That was a comprehensive listening day you had there - time well spent.
I was interested to hear your impression of the PMC treble - and the (relative) lack of it on the smaller Spendors - something I've experienced.
You hear quite a bit about the benefit of the PMC transmission line. It does make for a nice bass quality. But I immediately appreciated the treble as much as anything else on my little 20/21.
I can imagine how much better overall that twenty5 22i might sound.....but you're right about the price 😱
Yep, the PMCs were definitely a wonderful speaker, and i will be trying to hear them again. I think youd need the right anp to prevent the treble being fatiguing, and im not sure what amp. The Primare was good in that it had a good grip on it. It made me wonder though from seeing comments, that maybe an older model of pmc would have a slightly less bright treble, for example the fb1+ floorstander, but i guess the other frequencies also differ slightly.

Reactions: Gray
Rubicons are def on the list, and the dealer has the active version floorstanders, i think r6c. I hope to be going back to hear them.
I heard the Neat sx1, which i presume are the same but with an extra driver. The drivers are the same size. I was impressed with bass, but i thought i could hear a real colourstion, or even restraint to the speaker. The bass was super impressive though.
Good to hear about the MA gold. They were on my list, althoigh had a feeling they wouldnt be for me, simply going on the sound of the old silver i heard some time ago.
Think it might be worthwhile listening to the MA Golds. I thought they were good without being special, compared to the Dalis I heard at the same demo.

As you already own Dyns then the Special 40s are a must. Sometimes, listening to a brand you are familiar with can pay dividends

Do you still have the Primare? If not, what did you go for next. And yep, clean os definitely the word i was looking for....super clean and powerful.
Yes I do. It’s boxed up currently. (It’s a bit complicated, but as simply as I can) I tried a Nord One Up Nc500DM, a power amp, as I was planning goingactive but wanted to try the pre- functionality of my Linn DSM streamer.

A year later and I was about to get the actives, ATC SCM40A, when a chance cropped up to get some rare Sonus fabers. Having bought those, I sold the Nord and bought a Pass power amp. For the money, I think the Primare is pretty hard to beat, and it’s delightful to use and look at.

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
Hi there people, hope you are all doing well.
Im going to be in the market soon for a speaker upgrade. Its taken a while but im finally at a point where i think i realise the V shape sound of my dynaudio dm 2/7s, and its other limitations. So im looking to partner with my Roksan k3, i have a rel t7x sub to compliment, and its for a medium room, 4m x 7m (which i listen to width ways).
Because of the room size, i think im looking at standmounts as ive heard floosrtanders can overpower a smaller room, and i really want to avoid bass boom.
I have been looking online at dynaudio special 40, buchardt s400 mk2, Css audio criton 1tdx, atc scm 19, proac d2r.
I think i have written off the css 1tdx as spoken to a couple of users who have preferred the dyns S40. I wish the dyns came in non gloss, as speakers are going either side of tv, and want to avoid reflections, and i prefer matt anyway.
Im sure there are so many other i should be looking at. Do you have any suggestions please?
Id like them to go down to around 40hz or so i think. (Or early 40s).
Others that tweak my interest at the moment are MA Gold 100, Dali R2.
Cheers!
I don't think you should be persuaded by price. I have lowly Kef iq10 book shelves which retailed for £250 at the time. Driven by an original Cyrus One the sound is astonishing. For example, when I play Natalie Cole and her father singing Walking My Baby Back Home it is if I can see and hear behind their voices: a 3D sound. That is all I expect from my Hi-Fi

mykeldg

Sep 5, 2023
Visit site
from you list, I've owned the Dynaudio Special 40 and Dali Rubicon 2. Much prefer the Dali. It sounded more natural, lively and more holographic. The Dynes have deeper bass though

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts