Speaker suggestions, approx £2.5k?

Status
Not open for further replies.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi there people, hope you are all doing well.
Im going to be in the market soon for a speaker upgrade. Its taken a while but im finally at a point where i think i realise the V shape sound of my dynaudio dm 2/7s, and its other limitations. So im looking to partner with my Roksan k3, i have a rel t7x sub to compliment, and its for a medium room, 4m x 7m (which i listen to width ways).
Because of the room size, i think im looking at standmounts as ive heard floosrtanders can overpower a smaller room, and i really want to avoid bass boom.
I have been looking online at dynaudio special 40, buchardt s400 mk2, Css audio criton 1tdx, atc scm 19, proac d2r.
I think i have written off the css 1tdx as spoken to a couple of users who have preferred the dyns S40. I wish the dyns came in non gloss, as speakers are going either side of tv, and want to avoid reflections, and i prefer matt anyway.
Im sure there are so many other i should be looking at. Do you have any suggestions please?
Id like them to go down to around 40hz or so i think. (Or early 40s).
Others that tweak my interest at the moment are MA Gold 100, Dali R2.
Cheers!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 160668

Add ProAc DB1 to your list. Really special speakers and as you will have a sub not digging the deepest depths is not an issue.

Personally I didn't like ProAcs larger speakers, they seemed quite obsessed with a very bassy presentation. The DB1 though is magical. Give it a listen.

Reactions: radiorog
D

Deleted member 160668

Also, listen to some floor standers too. Your room is easily big enough.

D

Deleted member 160668

Whilst I have not heard a set myself you also should add Amphion Argon 3S to your list.

They are praised very highly online and I've heard the little brother Argon 1's which I thought were highly impressive for the cash.

The Dynaudio, ATC and ProAc you mention are a pretty good place to start from my perspective. Personally, I like several KEF too, especially their smaller models. The LS50 meta and R3 are well within budget and are great designs.

There are slim floorstanders up to £2.5k from such as Acoustic Energy and Sonus faber that may appeal too. Almost as important as the actual speakers will be finding a dealer or two with a range of options and the chance to try at home, as each of us have only heard a limited number of possibilities.

Try to audition no more than three at a time, and if you’re as forgetful as me you might want to make some notes!

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi people,
sorry for late reply, busy, ill, better now, life, blurgh blurgh ......
I went for a demo the other day. I took in my Dyns dm 2/7 so as to make some kind of comparison. I listened to Harbeth compact 7, Neat sx1, Spendor A4 and A7, PMC twenty 5 22i.
They were being played through a Primare i35 amp.
Was a really interesting afternoon and the main thing I think I came away with is something I genuinely never thought would happen, but I came away with the feeling I would get a bigger increase in sound quality if I updated my amp first. The Primare sounded wonderful and the thought of owning something of its calibre has given me a real buzz. It seemed to have a much better grip on every frequency. The entire sound was opened up, tightened up, more clarity, more speed, a totally different league of sound to what I have, and when I connected my Dyns to the amp, the sound was still blooming amazing. It was definitely a kind of sound I had imagined in my mind that I was after, although was unsure that kind of sound would be in my price category.
Of the speakers, the Harbeths sounded nice but lacked punch and firmness needed for punk (Amyl and the sniffers sounded pretty lifeless) and EDM. Clearly nice midrange, although I did feel I could hear the cabinet. Maybe that was because I had read up on the Harbeths thin walls to act as a voicing for the speaker, and I was listening for it.
The Neats had pretty small drivers, and I felt I could hear that. They sounded quite coloured in some way, and I would describe the colouring as grey! They sounded the least natural although they had fantastically deep bass.
The smaller Spendors sounded a little boxy as well and not natural to my ears, but they larger A7 sounded great. Natural sound, great deep tight bass, highs were nice, although maybe I would have liked a little more "ting" on top. But i did like them. They matched this amp very well I think.
The PMC's sounded awesome. Absolutely lovely speakers, but that treble?!! Ive never heard highs like it. So vibrant, so high!! An incredible sound but I'm not sure if they would become fatiguing. Jazz trumpets sounded so good and real to me because of these incredible highs.
So I've genuinely come away thinking something I never believed when I heard other people say it, that amplification is more important than speakers. And while I dont know if this is accurate 100% of the time, I think it must be more often than not.
So, my next demos are going to be looking at some more speakers, but definitely some more amps.

Last edited:
Reactions: rainsoothe

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I've always been interested to hear PMC, and as my update mentions, I finally got to hear some for the first time, the twenty5 22i. Ive always been interested in these.....and they didnt disipoint. It's a shame they are nearly £700 more than when I was first interested in them. Infact all the speakers prices have gone up loads, which is quite unfortunate.

Reactions: Clarkey_71 and Gray

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I reckon the Harbeth p3esr xd should probably be on that list too.
heard the compact 7, not enough dynamics for me. The dealer was going to show me the P3 but I think we ran out (way over) time :) I will be going back, so maybe will have the chance. He recomended the classi editions......nearly 5k.....so prob out of budget.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
The Dynaudio, ATC and ProAc you mention are a pretty good place to start from my perspective. Personally, I like several KEF too, especially their smaller models. The LS50 meta and R3 are well within budget and are great designs.

There are slim floorstanders up to £2.5k from such as Acoustic Energy and Sonus faber that may appeal too. Almost as important as the actual speakers will be finding a dealer or two with a range of options and the chance to try at home, as each of us have only heard a limited number of possibilities.

Try to audition no more than three at a time, and if you’re as forgetful as me you might want to make some notes!
cheers NP. I heard the older ls50s some years ago, against the ATC scm19, and totally preffered the ATC. I didnt like the ls50 at all really. For me they lacked warmth, sounded a lot less organic, and didnt wow me in the clarity side of things. It could have been the amp driving them at the time. I cant remember what it was.
Id like to hear some AE, and the Kef R3's actually, so hopefully that can happen. Of all the speakers I've heard so far, only ones with slightly larger mid bass drivers, say 6.5" min, have sounded natural to me.

Reactions: nopiano

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Another vote for floorstanders - standmounts may struggle in that space.
Yeah, I think I oversized my room in the description. It is more 3.2m x 7m, and half way across its length it goes down to 2.8m. My dyns currently totally fill the room with sound, and hearing the PMC's, they were even more powerful, and I'm sure would fill my space with amazing sound. Especially with an upgraded amp.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
While I'm here, can anyone tell me what happened to Simon (...13th note)? I've discovered and watched a few of his videos on youtube, and they seemed useful. I saw his profile on here recently, and saw it said banned next to it. What have I missed? Right, off to the shop to collect my OK magazine :)

Hi there people, hope you are all doing well.
Im going to be in the market soon for a speaker upgrade. Its taken a while but im finally at a point where i think i realise the V shape sound of my dynaudio dm 2/7s, and its other limitations. So im looking to partner with my Roksan k3, i have a rel t7x sub to compliment, and its for a medium room, 4m x 7m (which i listen to width ways).
Because of the room size, i think im looking at standmounts as ive heard floosrtanders can overpower a smaller room, and i really want to avoid bass boom.
I have been looking online at dynaudio special 40, buchardt s400 mk2, Css audio criton 1tdx, atc scm 19, proac d2r.
I think i have written off the css 1tdx as spoken to a couple of users who have preferred the dyns S40. I wish the dyns came in non gloss, as speakers are going either side of tv, and want to avoid reflections, and i prefer matt anyway.
Im sure there are so many other i should be looking at. Do you have any suggestions please?
Id like them to go down to around 40hz or so i think. (Or early 40s).
Others that tweak my interest at the moment are MA Gold 100, Dali R2.
Cheers!
From standmounts I've heard, Dali Rubicon 2 are awesome. I would also suggest Harbeth P3 ESR XD. Very natural sounding. Amphion Argon 1s are incredible little speakers.

Also heard the MA Gold 100. Not overly impressed

I know you don't want floorstanders but Neat SX2 are very impressive, and very dinky. As regards dinky floorstanders, Totem Arros are amazing.

Last edited:
cheers NP. I heard the older ls50s some years ago, against the ATC scm19, and totally preffered the ATC. I didnt like the ls50 at all really. For me they lacked warmth, sounded a lot less organic, and didnt wow me in the clarity side of things. It could have been the amp driving them at the time. I cant remember what it was.
Id like to hear some AE, and the Kef R3's actually, so hopefully that can happen. Of all the speakers I've heard so far, only ones with slightly larger mid bass drivers, say 6.5" min, have sounded natural to me.
Thanks for your write up. Very interesting. Mostly reflects what I’ve heard at various times, especially the PMCs.

You wouldn’t be the first person to realise the benefit of a decent amplifier. I’ve always found that makes a big difference. About five years ago I bought a I32 Primare, the predecessor of the I35. It’s clean, powerful and open - ideal for auditioning speakers imv.

Gray

I've always been interested to hear PMC, and as my update mentions, I finally got to hear some for the first time, the twenty5 22i. Ive always been interested in these.....and they didnt disipoint. It's a shame they are nearly £700 more than when I was first interested in them. Infact all the speakers prices have gone up loads, which is quite unfortunate.
That was a comprehensive listening day you had there - time well spent.
I was interested to hear your impression of the PMC treble - and the (relative) lack of it on the smaller Spendors - something I've experienced.
You hear quite a bit about the benefit of the PMC transmission line. It does make for a nice bass quality. But I immediately appreciated the treble as much as anything else on my little 20/21.
I can imagine how much better overall that twenty5 22i might sound.....but you're right about the price 😱

Thanks for your write up. Very interesting. Mostly reflects what I’ve heard at various times, especially the PMCs.

You wouldn’t be the first person to realise the benefit of a decent amplifier. I’ve always found that makes a big difference. About five years ago I bought a I32 Primare, the predecessor of the I35. It’s clean, powerful and open - ideal for auditioning speakers imv.
Yep, however a better amplifier will not made a bad speaker sound good it merely drives a good speaker to its full potential. There is a difference.

Reactions: radiorog and Gray
Yep, however a better amplifier will not made a bad speaker sound good it merely drives a good speaker to its full potential. There is a difference.
Definitely, though I wasn’t thinking any of these speakers were other than good. But there’s a certain authority from a good amp that makes a difference, and you know it when you hear it, ime.

rainsoothe

Hi people,
sorry for late reply, busy, ill, better now, life, blurgh blurgh ......
I went for a demo the other day. I took in my Dyns dm 2/7 so as to make some kind of comparison. I listened to Harbeth compact 7, Neat sx1, Spendor A4 and A7, PMC twenty 5 22i.
They were being played through a Primare i35 amp.
Was a really interesting afternoon and the main thing I think I came away with is something I genuinely never thought would happen, but I came away with the feeling I would get a bigger increase in sound quality if I updated my amp first. The Primare sounded wonderful and the thought of owning something of its calibre has given me a real buzz. It seemed to have a much better grip on every frequency. The entire sound was opened up, tightened up, more clarity, more speed, a totally different league of sound to what I have, and when I connected my Dyns to the amp, the sound was still blooming amazing. It was definitely a kind of sound I had imagined in my mind that I was after, although was unsure that kind of sound would be in my price category.
Of the speakers, the Harbeths sounded nice but lacked punch and firmness needed for punk (Amyl and the sniffers sounded pretty lifeless) and EDM. Clearly nice midrange, although I did feel I could hear the cabinet. Maybe that was because I had read up on the Harbeths thin walls to act as a voicing for the speaker, and I was listening for it.
The Neats had pretty small drivers, and I felt I could hear that. They sounded quite coloured in some way, and I would describe the colouring as grey! They sounded the least natural although they had fantastically deep bass.
The smaller Spendors sounded a little boxy as well and not natural to my ears, but they larger A7 sounded great. Natural sound, great deep tight bass, highs were nice, although maybe I would have liked a little more "ting" on top. But i did like them. They matched this amp very well I think.
The PMC's sounded awesome. Absolutely lovely speakers, but that treble?!! Ive never heard highs like it. So vibrant, so high!! An incredible sound but I'm not sure if they would become fatiguing. Jazz trumpets sounded so good and real to me because of these incredible highs.
So I've genuinely come away thinking something I never believed when I heard other people say it, that amplification is more important than speakers. And while I dont know if this is accurate 100% of the time, I think it must be more often than not.
So, my next demos are going to be looking at some more speakers, but definitely some more amps.
From this description, you might also really love Revel Performa M3 106 if you want standmounts, or Martin Logan Motion 40i if you can accommodate them. And defo, defo, try a Naim Supernait 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts