Speaker stands height, tweeter under or over ear level?

Vandeley

Dec 27, 2015
Visit site
Hi

I'm looking for a set of speaker stands for a pair of Dali Zensor 3, and pretty much settled on the Atacama Neuxs. But I have my doubts whether I should go for the 60 or 70cm.

I know I should try to line up the tweeter to ear level, but when i'm sitting comfortable in the couch the optimal height would be about 65cm.
So the question is, would it be better to have the ear level a little over or under the tweeter?
And do people have experience that the Zensor like to be closer to the ground or higher up?

Thanks

Vandeley said:
Hi

I'm looking for a set of speaker stands for a pair of Dali Zensor 3, and pretty much settled on the Atacama Neuxs. But I have my doubts whether I should go for the 60 or 70cm.

I know I should try to line up the tweeter to ear level, but when i'm sitting comfortable in the couch the optimal height would be about 65cm. So the question is, would it be better to have the ear level a little over or under the tweeter?And do people have experience that the Zensor like to be closer to the ground or higher up?

Thanks

Personally I'd be thinking ahead and if you ever get larger speakers in the future then look at the shorter stands.

frazzle

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
Al ears said:
Vandeley said:
Hi

I know I should try to line up the tweeter to ear level, but when i'm sitting comfortable in the couch the optimal height would be about 65cm. So the question is, would it be better to have the ear level a little over or under the tweeter?And do people have experience that the Zensor like to be closer to the ground or higher up?

Thanks

Personally I'd be thinking ahead and if you ever get larger speakers in the future then look at the shorter stands.

frazzle

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
Al ears said:
Vandeley said:
Hi

Thanks

frazzle

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
Al ears said:
Vandeley said:
Hi

Thanks

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Vandeley said:
I know I should try to line up the tweeter to ear level, but when i'm sitting comfortable in the couch the optimal height would be about 65cm.

I'd - personally - be looking to getting new chairs!

65cm to ear height? Are you a limbo dancer?

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
My speakers currently have their tweeters some 30 cm below ear level. And they sound excellent.

How many people adjust the height of their floorstanders to their seating position?

I mean: relax! Enjoy the music! Don't give in to OCD!*smile*

Vandeley

Dec 27, 2015
Visit site
chebby said:
Vandeley said:

I'd - personally - be looking to getting new chairs!

65cm to ear height? Are you a limbo dancer?

The optimal speaker stand height would be 65cm.. thought that was a given

Vandeley

Dec 27, 2015
Visit site
I know there's probably not going to be a big difference, and if I had a pair already I woundn't have given it any thought. But going out and buying new, I thought I might aswell get the best for my needs. Just as much to hear, if there was a rule that said under is better than over, or vice versa :)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
In a simple two way design like the Zensor 3, the speakers dispersion in the vertical plane is a function of the position of the drive units, like this....

TM_lobe_time_aligned.gif

The first diagram shows the response of speakers like the Zensor 3, the on axis response, P', is skewed in a downward direction.

(Incidently this explains why first reflections from a hard floor can be so disruptive and why high frequencies drop off so rapidly as the listener stands up from a seated position.)

So in this case it is probably better to be seated below the level of the tweeter, the on axis response being smoother than that off axis. It is interesting that people are careful to adjust the 'toe in' of their speakers, which alters the tweeters response in the horizontal plane but rarely consider adjusting the 'tilt', which does the same thing in the vertical plane.

Vandeley

Dec 27, 2015
Visit site
davedotco said:
In a simple two way design like the Zensor 3, the speakers dispersion in the vertical plane is a function of the position of the drive units, like this....

The first diagram shows the response of speakers like the Zensor 3, the on axis response, P', is skewed in a downward direction.

(Incidently this explains why first reflections from a hard floor can be so disruptive and why high frequencies drop off so rapidly as the listener stands up from a seated position.)

So in this case it is probably better to be seated below the level of the tweeter, the on axis response being smoother than that off axis. It is interesting that people are careful to adjust the 'toe in' of their speakers, which alters the tweeters response in the horizontal plane but rarely consider adjusting the 'tilt', which does the same thing in the vertical plane.

Thanks!

But would this only be affective then tipping the speakers down then? If so, would you place something on the top plate to level it higher in the back?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
When enthusiasts talk about positioning speakers, they often discuss 'toe in' which is simply how far off of the tweeter axis you are listening. This is quite a big thing to some, but even they rarely bother with the 'tilt', though in big speakers, particularly panels, it can be critical.

In your specific case, and with any simple speaker with a tweeter above the bass driver, tilting the speaker down as you suggest will reduce the high frequencies, tilting the speaker back will do the opposite.

Most manufacturers steer clear of giving precise instructions when it comes to the listening position, leaving the user to work things out by trial and error.

Just to get a feel for the way this works, start by listening to a piece of music in your normal listening position, but do so standing up. Then slowly sit down to a normal listening position, listening all the time. See what happens.

If you want to get really funky, try doing the same with the speakers in the same position but upside down. Again see what happens.

Experiments like this will help you understand how speakers (and the room) interact with the listening position at high frequencies. (What happens at low frequencies is a whole different ballgame.)

Vandeley

Dec 27, 2015
Visit site
Another question, on a wooden floor (vinyl) is it possible to use the spikes on the buttom plate?
My guess is that it would be hard to get an even surface on the floor. I thought maybe it was an option to use the rubber dots that is supposed to go on the top plate (planning on using blu tack), and putting them under instead? Or maybe even using blu tack to fasten to the floor also?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Use small discs (I used to use small coins), level the spikes onto them, they won't move if done correctly.

You can buy purpose made discs if you want something that 'looks' hi-fi.

Bluetac for the top of the stand is a good choice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts