Speaker Selection

tansriloi

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

Looking to get some opinions in regards for my next upgrade. Currently I’m having some issue with mid bass dynamics. Speakers goes loud but bass isn’t as deep as I wanted. Current set up Rega Elex R amp with B&W CM6S2 in a 3.3m x 2.7m room. Moving speakers closer to wall does not help much.

Wondering getting a floorstander such as PMC 20.23 or Dynaudio X34 would solve the issue. Not looking for a Sub or Preowned Speaker. Previously owned a Dynaudio X12. Much happier with the style of delivery. Or should I just stick to bookshelf like the Dyns X18. Listening to a lot of Pop, Vocal and Jazz Genre.

thanks

insider9

tansriloi said:
Currently I’m having some issue with mid bass dynamics. Speakers goes loud but bass isn’t as deep as I wanted.
Hi, could you clarify please? It reads like you're describing two separate issues. Is that right?

Any way you could measure the room? Are you experiencing any boom or other issue in bass?

How close are the speakers to side and front wall? How close to a wall do you sit? Are you using any form of DSP? How loud do you usually listen?

tansriloi

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
Hi, okay I will explain. My speaker are on the 2.7m wall which sits about 30cm away from wall and my listening position is around 2 metre away from the speakers. Room is carpeted with soft furnishing. There is no boom at normal listening level until I turn up right up to 11 o’clock. Even so the boom is not that prominent. My listening level is around 8-9 o’clock. No DSP. What I find is that when I turn up the volume, is seems loud but not bass heavy.

insider9

Are you otherwise happy with your speakers? How does kick drum sound?

Without DSP in a room this size floorstanders will always be a gamble. If your speakers are to your liking adding an active subwoofer could be the way to go. It would fill out the lowest two octaves. You'd also have control of its loudness, so could suit bass response to your taste.

gasolin

Page 23, i would recommend Dynaudio Emit M20 or as in my other thread excite that in denmark are on sale for up to 30% of the price if you live close to denmark and shipping is fairly cheap.

https://stereo-magazine.com/flipview/epaper/stereo-magazine-3-2016-3/

Strictly Stereo

Jan 29, 2018
Visit site
It seems like you have two problems. Bass is not as deep as you would like and what you do get is not as well defined as you would like. Based on your measurements, your lowest modal frequency is about 52Hz (3.3m wall). The other major room modes are at 64Hz (2.7m wall) and I would guess around 75-80Hz (floor to ceiling). These resonances and their harmonics are probably what is messing up the "mid-bass dynamics". There are a few options...

1. You could try adjusting your listening position so that you avoid the worst peaks and dips. This is best done with a microphone and measurement software like Room EQ Wizard. I appreciate this could be tricky with a smaller a room.

2. You could look into acoustic treatment. A good place to start would be absorbant panels at the first reflection points. Bass trapping in the corners would be next.

3. You could try a speaker with a more tightly controlled dispersion pattern, so less energy is sent where it is not wanted. Have a look into Amphion.

The good news is that you can choose a speaker which reaches below 52Hz without exciting any additional resonances. Just be mindful that it is easy to mistake more bass for deeper bass when selecting speakers. Overcooked bass in a confined space quickly gets tiresome.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
Are you otherwise happy with your speakers? How does kick drum sound?

Without DSP in a room this size floorstanders will always be a gamble. If your speakers are to your liking adding an active subwoofer could be the way to go. It would fill out the lowest two octaves. You'd also have control of its loudness, so could suit bass response to your taste.

+1

Better to add a sub like the Rel, which has a small foot print and can be placed where it sounds best in your room.

I have a problem that is bang opposite to yours. Too much bass from big speakers. And I can't tame it. Always better to start of in your position with less bass and then add a sub as needed. So I would be very cautious about adding a floor stander in that size room, unless an in house audition is possible before purchase.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts