Speaker restoration

Mickfromdenmark

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Hello I am considering a restoration on a set of Spendor sp7/1 speakers i just bought. I am looking for advice on what to do and not to. The speakers have Sun fade on the front where the frontcover has sat ( forming a half circle in the bottom ) and some on top of the speakers as well.

looking forward to hearing your inputs *help*

Regards Mick

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Mickfromdenmark said:
Hello I am considering a restoration on a set of Spendor sp7/1 speakers i just bought. I am looking for advice on what to do and not to. The speakers have Sun fade on the front where the frontcover has sat ( forming a half circle in the bottom ) and some on top of the speakers as well.

looking forward to hearing your inputs *help*

Regards Mick

What finish are you looking to achieve?
Restore per original or change?

Id just simply remove all the drivers and other stuff etc and sand down and re oil but depends on what finish you looking for

Leif

May 11, 2014
Visit site
Note: I tried many times to write this post but the spam filter blocks me. The following is all that would get through. It does not really make sense.

You might be better off simply leaving them with fade, it's not such a big deal.

Is the wood veneer (I assume that is the finish) otherwise okay? Speakers seem to be made from MDF, although some are made from ply, with a veneer or paint finish on top. The problem you will face is that the finish is likely acrylic or varnish, which is very hard to remove. Sanding is too dangerous as veneer is thin. You could remove and redo the veneer but that is hard. For example, how do you cut the holes for the speakers?

Google for a company that does paint removers, I cannot post the link, spam! I've tried to explain how to do it, but I give up, the spam filter rules okay.

Their products are good. But you need to know what finish you have, the manufacturer should tell you. I suggest you get advice from people with direct experience of this kind of process. I've refinished a lot of solid wood furniture, not veneered, so there are most likely issues I've not encountered.

Alternatively, you could apply a paint. Sand the surfaces to get a key, apply primer, then apply several coats of paint. Use a mini roller if you want an orange peel effect. Spraying is an option, but your enemy is dust. The nice gloss finishes will be done in controlled dust free conditions with filtered air. Oil paint, such as Sikkens oil based paint used for interior doors and skirting boards will give you a nice finish if applied by brush. It is not easy to do, in fact it is quite hard, and it will not be perfect.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
If you don't like the way your speakers presently look. Maybe you can consider giving them a vinyl wrap. This is usually down for cars. But will not damage the original finish in anyway. And should be cheaper than doing the whole wood finish again. Just my 2 cents...

TRENDING THREADS