Question Speaker recommendations

Barnaby

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

I've moved my hifi to another room and I don't have room for my ancient Neat Mystique II floorstanders.

I'm looking for either wall-mounted or stand-mounted speakers to go with my Hegel 160 amplifier. I'd like detail but I'd prefer to avoid shrill or harsh sounding speakers. I don't listen at particularly loud volume and I listen to just about everything although mainly classical and jazz.

My budget is up to around £750. Ideally, I'd go for a second-hand pair around the £400 - £500 mark. I thought about the B&W 606 S2 but might not have the space. I'm probably going to have to stick them a bit closer to walls than these might demand. I'm not sure if using them with the bungs would be better than going for another speaker.

I'd appreciate any advice you might have.

Thank you

Last edited:

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
A set of ProAc Tablette 10's should be within reach s/h for your budget. IB design.

They dont come up too often but there was a Signature version for around 800 quid on ebay recently.

I'd have that anytime over a B&W, especially with a capable amplifier like yours.

Last edited:

Barnaby

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
Hi and thanks.

Good point, @RoA but I'm concerned that the Tablettes might not do too well in my relatively cramped conditions. I had the impression these benefitted from a fair bit of clearance. I'm also not sure if I'm likely to get them at that price very often as you say. Same for the Triangle you suggested @bigfish786

I feared that the bungs might do just as you say @12th Monkey so I will leave these
alone.

As I listen so rarely to music through speakers and when I do it's pretty quiet. I usually rely on headphones so I can listen in peace without disturbing anyone so I don't want to spend a fortune. I feel a relatively cheap pair would suffice. I also thought about AE300 s or similar.

I'm even wondering if I should just keep my Mystiques and live with the less than ideal placement

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 160668

I've read your post and read your budget. And I'm going to ignore that to make my curve ball suggestion anyway.

When I went to the UK Audio show at the end of last year they had some little Amphion Argon 1 standmounts, paired with a Hegel amp. Wow! Imo that was the standout combination at the show. I was stunned they only cost £1300. There were some systems there for Micky Mouse money, yet these were the most memorable.

Get your ears around a pair of these. Then save up would be my thoughts.

Barnaby

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
I see there's a used pair of the Amphion Argon 1s for sale used. I wouldn't be able to hear them though and I'm not sure I fancy a gamble. I don't know if the seller would let me try. I might ask them.

The room isn't small but the positioning makes it awkward. The speakers would need to site about 6" from the wall and only about a foot from a corner. I wondered if wall mounted might be an answer because that would open up other possibilities.

D

Deleted member 160668

I see there's a used pair of the Amphion Argon 1s for sale used. I wouldn't be able to hear them though and I'm not sure I fancy a gamble. I don't know if the seller would let me try. I might ask them.

The room isn't small but the positioning makes it awkward. The speakers would need to site about 6" from the wall and only about a foot from a corner. I wondered if wall mounted might be an answer because that would open up other possibilities.
Have a look on PFM and also on the WAM at some of the streams following the UK Audio show. There was much love for the Argon 1 / Hegel room. They are some really nice speakers.

You could also PM Hifinut on either forum who owns a pair and who also tried the bigger brothers.

Out of curiosity where is the second hand pair and how much are they?

Reactions: Al ears
D

Deleted member 160668

To add to the above. Next to wall is fine for the Amphions - that's how they were demo'd in the room. Again read some of the streams mentioned above and there are pics. There is a really good review on YouTube by The UK Audiophile, where they are rated highly.

I seriously considered buying a set to go on the end of my Sugden amp. However, I instead went down the route of Harbeth and then changed again.

robdmarsh

I've read your post and read your budget. And I'm going to ignore that to make my curve ball suggestion anyway.

When I went to the UK Audio show at the end of last year they had some little Amphion Argon 1 standmounts, paired with a Hegel amp. Wow! Imo that was the standout combination at the show. I was stunned they only cost £1300. There were some systems there for Micky Mouse money, yet these were the most memorable.

Get your ears around a pair of these. Then save up would be my thoughts.
I agree, I saw and heard the Argon 1 a couple of years ago at the Bristol show; best speaker I heard there.

I'm wondering if Focal 906 would be worth a listen? I'm not sure how critical positioning is with these.
Good speakers, you would certainly be better off avoiding anything that is rear ported.
Are you in the UK because you might be able to trade in your Mystiques against a pair of Neat Iotas at a certain dealership.
Or did you plan on selling the Mystiques?

Last edited:

matthewpianist

I have a pair of Focal Chora 806; excellent speakers and very flexible about positioning and volume levels - they don't need turning up loud to sound good.

I've also been extremely impressed with the Cyrus ONE Linear speakers I'm currently using, They're designed by Cyrus to match the Cyrus ONE amp but clearly made for them by IAG (excellent finish, packaging etc.). I suspect they'd work very well with most amps and they are a bargain at the moment.

Sealed box monitors like the ProAc and Spendor options can be superb, but I found my Spendors only came on song at high volumes.

Barnaby

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
I guess given my current situation, I've sort of given up on pursuing excellence in terms of pure hifi sound . I really just want a good enough sound achievable with minimum fuss. I also want to be able to get good performance at low listening levels. I'm more interested in involvement and a live feeling in, say, a jazz quartet even at low volumes, rather than pursuing a massively analytical experience.

The only other thing which might complicate it a bit is that although it's layout is awful with barely any practical areas for speakers, the actual size of the room is pretty big so I'm wondering if even with small speakers I should consider sticking a subwoofer in somewhere. I've never used one and have no idea if I'd need one or not.

As I get older, I am also finding myself increasingly intolerant of anything that causes listening fatigue. As I said, my tastes are mainly jazz and classical and some acoustic or country music.

Given all this, I'm open to any brand that meets my modest requirements. I'd happily trade-in the mystique, though they are pretty old and I doubt I'd get much for them and yes @Al ears I'm in the UK

Barnaby

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
Fwiw, we've got clients we sold Hegel amplifiers to including H160's and some also bought Focal loudspeakers including Aria 906's.

Btw, so far we've not found Aria 906's to be fussy about positioning.

Yes they are certainly on my radar. Good about positioning. Mine would need to be about 6 inches from the wall. Would that be do-able?

robdmarsh

The Chora 806s look interesting too
Another speaker that I think sounds very good especially for £499 (not sure if you can still get if for that). Tall for a stand mount speaker, so best on shortish stands. Though tall, not as tall as Wharfedale Evo 4.2, which though I haven't heard, I've never liked any Wharfedale modern speakers. I think the Chora looks better than the 4.2 as well, but maybe that's prejudice.

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
I guess given my current situation, I've sort of given up on pursuing excellence in terms of pure hifi sound . I really just want a good enough sound achievable with minimum fuss. I also want to be able to get good performance at low listening levels. I'm more interested in involvement and a live feeling in, say, a jazz quartet even at low volumes, rather than pursuing a massively analytical experience.

The only other thing which might complicate it a bit is that although it's layout is awful with barely any practical areas for speakers, the actual size of the room is pretty big so I'm wondering if even with small speakers I should consider sticking a subwoofer in somewhere. I've never used one and have no idea if I'd need one or not.

As I get older, I am also finding myself increasingly intolerant of anything that causes listening fatigue. As I said, my tastes are mainly jazz and classical and some acoustic or country music.

Given all this, I'm open to any brand that meets my modest requirements. I'd happily trade-in the mystique, though they are pretty old and I doubt I'd get much for them and yes @Al ears I'm in the UK
After 8 years of owning a pair of Kef iq10 wife says that she finds them too shrill. I thought something afoot when she recently asks me to turn it off. Whether it's our ageing hearing but I too have been finding the top treble unbearable at times. So I suggested a trip to find speakers we will both enjoy.

Gray

After 8 years of owning a pair of Kef iq10 wife says that she finds them too shrill. I thought something afoot when she recently asks me to turn it off. Whether it's our ageing hearing but I too have been finding the top treble unbearable at times. So I suggested a trip to find speakers we will both enjoy.
It's good that your wife is part of your hobby.
A while back, a poster came on asking for estimates on how much his gear would sell for. His partner had instructed him to sell it because she didn't like music.
We soon gave him the message that the one item to lose was the partner.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts