Speaker Recommendations

Grooverdog

Sep 20, 2021
Visit site
Looking for recommendations for new speakers to go with an Audiolab 6000a. Currently have a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze 1's which are OK but looking to move up. have up to £1K to spend but happy to spend less. I looked at the KEF LS50 Meta's but read they don't play too nicely with the Audiolab. Ideally looking for stand mount with a light wood finish to keep things harmonious domestically. Room is 10ft wide and about 24ft long with the listening position 8ft from the speakers. Don't play much at very high volume and music wise it's pretty varied - from the Stones to Nick Drake, some indie, electronica plus lots of dub reggae - so a tight, controlled bass is needed. I really like the look of the Wharfdale Linton's on their stands but think they may be a bit too large (speakers sit either side of the TV) so was also looking at the Wharfdale Evo 4.1/2's. Saw the B&W 606's recommended but they don't pass the looks test.

Looking for recommendations for new speakers to go with an Audiolab 6000a. Currently have a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze 1's which are OK but looking to move up. have up to £1K to spend but happy to spend less. I looked at the KEF LS50 Meta's but read they don't play too nicely with the Audiolab. Ideally looking for stand mount with a light wood finish to keep things harmonious domestically. Room is 10ft wide and about 24ft long with the listening position 8ft from the speakers. Don't play much at very high volume and music wise it's pretty varied - from the Stones to Nick Drake, some indie, electronica plus lots of dub reggae - so a tight, controlled bass is needed. I really like the look of the Wharfdale Linton's on their stands but think they may be a bit too large (speakers sit either side of the TV) so was also looking at the Wharfdale Evo 4.1/2's. Saw the B&W 606's recommended but they don't pass the looks test.
What speakers can you actually get to audition yourself? Or indeed recommendations from others without them listening to them yourself.
You shouldn't buy speakers just on looks. :)

Last edited:

Grooverdog

Sep 20, 2021
Visit site
What speakers can you actually get to audition yourself?

A pretty good selection. Got an Audio T in my home town and a Richer Sounds about a half hour away.
wharfedales might be good but don't think they do then in a light wood

Last edited by a moderator:

Grooverdog

Sep 20, 2021
Visit site
With a room that size why are you confining yourself to standmounts? Do you own stands?

Other half likes the smaller profile of standmounts. Got the MA Bronze I have on metal stands. And where they’re positioned I think floor standers would look pretty cramped. But might consider floor standers if they’re not large

robdmarsh

Other half likes the smaller profile of standmounts. Got the MA Bronze I have on metal stands. And where they’re positioned I think floor standers would look pretty cramped. But might consider floor standers if they’re not large
I think compact floor standers can actually look less imposing than bookshelf speaker with metal stands. If you get ones with a finish that goes with your room then it can be a neater solution and easier to hide cables etc.
How about Dali Oberon 5? They're very compact and well-regarded. There's a good sample of the sound on Youtube by a bloke whose channel is called "Sound sommeier", bit pretentious name, but he does put out some quality well-recorded videos.

I think compact floor standers can actually look less imposing than bookshelf speaker with metal stands. If you get ones with a finish that goes with your room then it can be a neater solution and easier to hide cables etc.
How about Dali Oberon 5? They're very compact and well-regarded. There's a good sample of the sound on Youtube by a bloke whose channel is called "Sound sommeier", bit pretentious name, but he does put out some quality well-recorded videos.
I was about to suggest the same, in light oak with a white fascia they look very slim

Reactions: rainsoothe

Grooverdog

Sep 20, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions all. I like the look of the S2's but would like a different finish really. Any thoughts on the Monitor Audio 50/70's? I've got the MA Bronze 1's atm and have been quite happy with them. Or Dali Oberon 3's or Menuet's? Don't fancy the floorstanders (Oberon 5's) but would these be a match?

Thanks for the suggestions all. I like the look of the S2's but would like a different finish really. Any thoughts on the Monitor Audio 50/70's? I've got the MA Bronze 1's atm and have been quite happy with them. Or Dali Oberon 3's or Menuet's? Don't fancy the floorstanders (Oberon 5's) but would these be a match?
Haven't heard the Oberon 3's but if their presentation is similar to the 5's they are worth an audition. Not sure if those MA speakers might not be more of a sideways move, but then I don't know much about MA speakers, perhaps someone else will be along soon with some insight. Still better if you simply get out and audition yourself if you can.
I cannot recommend my usual 'go to' speakers in this price bracket as they have recently had a £100 price hike, they no longer make the light wood version and they are difficult to audition.

Reactions: Grooverdog

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts