Speaker recommendation plz...???

bhavp21

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
hi guys im after a speaker package, was thinking of the Monitor Audio Silver RS6AV (if anyone knows where i can get em) or the Monitor Audio silver RX6AV12, was also considering the B&W 683 Theatre package... Not hear any of them to be hones...

What are your opinions on these or is there any other you can recommend...?

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
1. Do you have an AV? If so which one is it? It will matter greatly when deciding on your bundle as different AV's work differently with certain speakers.

2. You can demo those speakers at sevenoaks which is nationwide.

My opinon on them.... The RX6 is the better package out the lot. But of course those are my ears listening to them. RS6 is a cheaper package and older than the RX6, the difference is the mid range and the balance. You have to ask yourself if that is worth paying extra for.

The B&W, completely different sound to the above and some prefer those to the MA bundles. However on paper and review the RX6 is the best.

Confused....? Excellent that was the idea ;)

bhavp21

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
not sure on which AV to get that was the next question lol.

i would have like the B&W but its not got a 5* rating and got told its build quality is not all that...

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Now we need to start talking about the budget. How much do you want to spend in total. Remember you will need some decent cabling too.

bhavp21

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
outa curiousity do you know if anyone has a MA RS6AV...? bin told theres not much difference between the RS and the RX so if there is RS set id take it as its cheaper also...

AV well to be honest i dont wanna go over the top with this, just want something decent to power up the speakers and sound good...

not to fussed on the cable cost though

p.s with the MA be good for movies aswell as music...?

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
The RS can be a little bright for some people and will need an AV that is not bright itself, the RX series on the other hand is more mellow in its treble and this will help with compatibility issues. Question is, is the RX worth paying an extra £1000 for? That Is something that your ears will tell you. But if you like the RS6 when you hear it then go for them! Remember opinions by others should be treated as just that 'an opinion' what one person likes may not be to your taste. Reviews are a great pointer to a selection of great products, but again it does not mean that a 4 star review is not a 5 star review in your books.

About Music and Movies- Absoloutely the MA range are great for music and movies, tall standing speakers excel at delivering music especially.

What is more important to you? Music or movies? Would you say 80% Music and 20% Movies as an example?

Also what is your budget?

It's important to establish this because certain AV's will be better than others and certain speakers will be better suited for what you are trying to achieve?

Oh yes and dimensions of your room too please?

bhavp21

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
if i can get the RS6AV then i will, cant seem to find em though... Do you know of any around? If not then itl have to be the RX6AV12...

Definatly no more then £2000 though. Which AV/AV's would you reccomend for the MA?

I want something good for music and movies, a gool all-rounder really...

p.s i want a AV to be used with my TV, playstation3/blu-ray and laptop...

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
You will need to source the RS6 package from Ebay or gumtree etc as they are discontinued. However if that proves to be difficult You could go for this.

MA BX5 Package £1200

Onkyo 709 AV - £800

With a little negotiating im sure they can sort the speaker wire too all for 2k.

You will have no problem connecting your equipment to that AV and extracting joy out of those speakers for Music and Movies.

bhavp21

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
i know theres £1000 difference between the bronze and the silver range, but how much sound difference is there also?

weather i go for the broze or silver range, do u recommend the onkyo AV? what are the pioneer, yamaha and denon like...?

Thinking about it i dont think i like one more the the other, its got to be 50% music and 50% movies...

Sliced Bread

My friend has the RS6's and I've demoed the RX6. They are surprisingly different speakers and I wouldn't really say that one is better than the other.

It depends on the type of sound you like. The RS6's are more vibrant, but maybe a little in yer face for sone.

Tricky one...I think you need to try and listen to them to be sure.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
They all sound different, you must go and demo them. The RX is a better speaker than the Bronze and yes you will hear difference in sound.

If your budget is 2k then you cannot go for the RX, as they are 2k themselves.

The Onkyo can drive them, the Denon is a warmer receiver, the Pioneer is bright. They will all sound different. It depends what you like really.

demo.... :)

bhavp21

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
i dont mind spending 2k'ish on the speakers, and will probably go for the Silver RX... AV wise i dont mind pending up to 2k but aint aiming to spend that if i dont have have to...

i listen to music 50% of time and movies 50% of the time so its a 50/50 split...

i know everyone says its personal preferance, this is my first AV and dont think im gonna chop and change later, but from what ive mentioned which would be best - onkyo, denon, yamaha or pioneer?

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Out of your list I would say Pioneer is the best AV around at the moment. Get youself the LX83 and the RX package, or if you can afford it get the LX85.

But do Demo them before you buy, you may find you dont like the speakers. The new Yahmaha is one that I have not heard yet, the initial reviews seem good so far, so give that a demo too.

For a 50/50 split I would recommend tall standing speakers all day long, but in this instance when talking about the MA range which, you clearly have a liking for, I would also recommend you try to get a demo of the MA Apex system too.

Here is the list of items for you to demo IMHO

1. LX83/LX85 with MA RX6 and Apex

2. New Yahmaha with the same speakers.

bhavp21

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
ok cool, with Pioneer i was looking at the SC LX 85, 83 or the 82... whats the Yamaha model...? I was looking at the Yamaha RX a1010, v1067, v1900...

was looking at the denon avr 2310 but bin told they are not what they used to be like weather thats true or not...

onkyo not got a clue but heard decent stuff bout them

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Yahmaha RX-A3010 is the one to have a look it, its in contention with the LX85 and LX83. You mentioned Onkyo and yes they are very good too, infact you should demo it too with your budget as the 5008 is up for grabs now at a good price!

Denon, is great. Traditional AV which is no nonesense, but in comparision the 2310 is left wanting to the list above.

If your budget for the AV is 2k as you say then the LX85, LX83, A3010 and Onkyo 5008 are the ones to look at. By all means do try the Denon too, this will give you an idea of the difference between them.

bhavp21

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
ok think im gonna stick to pioneer or yamaha...

outa curiousity, on the pioneers whats the difference between the SC LX 85, 83 and 82...?

A

Anonymous

The LX82 LX83 and LX85 are essentially the same , from 2009, 2010 and this year.

The major difference is added functionality, where the LX85 supports file playback of LPCM and FLAC, and sports more HDMI inmputs than the previous models. The LX85 also has onboard DSD decoding if you want to decode SACD on the receiver rather tahn on the player or in a DAC.

The LX82 has HDMI 1.3, the others HDMI 1.4 so they support ARC and 3D if that is of interest.

Those are jusst of the top of my head, and if I had the option, I'd go for the LX85 especially because of the FLAC and DSD support. But your requirements may be different

A

Anonymous

The Pioneer LX-8x and the Yamaha A3010 or even A2010 are all very good for the MA silver's.

Thanks duaplex. Still missing a sub, but with the RX8 most low frequencies are good. Just missing the really low end, and I'd love a Paradigm SUB2, but that is a long way. And I do believe my neighbours would object. The TV is very good, but why not this years model, the VT30, after all it's supposed to be a bit better?

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Yes the VT30 is excellent, will set me back an extra £700, but your right i could save for that one :)

Paradigm Sig Sub 2! is an excellent sub, its very pricey! But also very good. I had a demo of it recently, just for fun, however I still like my car and dont want to have to trade that in :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts