Speaker recommendation for SuperUniti in a large room

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
iceman16 said:
I agree with Cno..And as a previous Naim owner(not the Superuniti),80w/c can produce more than whats on paper.But with the size of your room imo the superuniti might struggle if you want to listen at higher volume.Yes it can play loud but may loose its composure or stability when push hard.

Thats what I was thinking, surprised nobody else seems bothered.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
gregvet said:
(although at no point has the OP actually given a fixed budget anyway as far as I can see).

He said this...

MoData said:
I'm thinking of the Rega RS5s or the Neat Motive SEs. Which one would be better suited? Any other recommendations in the same price range?

Thats around £995 - £1495 at current prices.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
gregvet said:
To effectively brand them all money grabbing bastards...

Your choice of words entirely.

I called Paul a 'dealer' and a 'salesman'.

Any good salesman or dealer (and business owner in Paul's case) will use charm, charisma, persuasion, knowledge, experience and skill to maximise income. Nothing wrong with that. The last time I looked we still live in a capitalist economy.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
gregvet said:
To effectively brand them all money grabbing bastards...

Your choice of words entirely.

I called Paul a 'dealer' and a 'salesman'.

It may not be how you meant it Chebby, but you also said

chebby said:
He has to test how far your resolve (and credit cards) will flex beyond what you say your budget is.

Which sounds very much to me like you are saying they are only after as much money as they can get from you, which I then paraphrased.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
gregvet said:
Which sounds very much to me like you are saying they are only after as much money as they can get from you, which I then paraphrased.

And, so long as the customer is happy, what exactly is wrong with that? For instance, our builder estimated about £18,500 for work that eventually cost us £22,500 a few years ago. I would employ him again without a moment's hesitation and I recommended him to others.

It's all in the game.

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm not au fait with the Naim amp, but from research I did when buying my main speakers it seems that Naim amplification marries quite nicely with Monopulse speakers.

I managed to pick up my Monopulse Model A well within the specified budget, and can wholeheartedly recommend them, if that's worth anything!

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
gregvet said:

And, so long as the customer is happy, what exactly is wrong with that? For instance, our builder estimated about £18,500 for work that eventually cost us £22,500 a few years ago. I would employ him again without a moment's hesitation and I recommended him to others.

It's all in the game.

That fair enough chebby, and part of the reason your builder no doubt gave you an estimate and not a quote.

Im sorry if you didnt like me criticising you, its just I dont like to see someone offering an opinion and then having barbed comments made in response. It not like he said 'anything less than Fact 8's would be blasphemy' and offered to sell him a pair. The speakers he suggested can be got close enough to budget to be a valid suggestion, and the whole point of threads like this is to suggest alternatives that might not fit all the releant criteria, but may be better overall options. If there was only one valid response then the thread would be

a) very short

and

b) very boring

:)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The main thing really is knowing how loud you're intending to play them. While you say low to medium volume, you're medium volume might be someone's else's high, or someone else's low.

For a room that size, I would usually recommend a speaker with a dual bass driver rather than single. The demands on a single bass driver at higher volumes can be a little taxing, and sharing the work with another driver will ensure that they stay within their designed operating parameters, producing the signal cleanly, and without any added distortion to that that the speaker naturally produces. I'd also try and choose something fairly efficient in order to make the most of the power available from the amplifier.

If you're looking for a big speaker with a big presence that will fill that sort of space easily, have a look at the Dynaudio DM3/7, KEF Q900, B&W 683, Monitor Audio RX8, or Acoustic Energy Radiance 3. But generally, going for the largest speakers you can afford with as many drive units as possible doesn't necessarily get you the best quality, and seeing as you're not going to be playing them at higher volumes means that the aforementioned may be a bit overkill. Plus, I've never felt that B&W or Monitor Audio are a great match with Naim.

Going by my dual driver recommendation, and sticking within budget, I would try the KEF R500. They're efficient, possess a surprising bass response for their size (reaching deeper than some speakers costing another £1k), and hold themselves together well at higher volumes. Assuming your budget is up to £1500, there are two models worth considering just outside of that - the Dynaudio Excite X32 and the ProAc Studio 140se.

Alternatively, if you want to get a little more for your money, you could look at B Grade (imperfect) models which will save you some cash or allow you to get the next model up (or more) for your money.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
omnibeard said:
hoopsontoast said:
Ex Demo RS7's:

http://www.moorgateacoustics.co.uk/used-x-demo-equipment/rega-rs7-loudspeakers-in-black-ash-2220891-169901-841394.php

Sorted :rofl: :grin:

Good god, someone snap those up!

i know wish I had room for them, I have got my details with a few dealers if they ever sell there ex demo RS3s

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
stevebrock said:
i know wish I had room for them, I have got my details with a few dealers if they ever sell there ex demo RS3s

Is this not the monkey?

http://www.moorgateacoustics.co.uk/used-x-demo-equipment/rega-rs3-speakers-2083917-169901-824798.php

You could paint them?

A

Anonymous

Ok. Now to track down all the recommendations for demos/home demos.

Another question: would the GB1i/PMC 20.23 the RS5 and/or the Neat Motive 2 SE work in this room, or do I 'need' to go up to the next level up in size? 20.25/RS7 etc.?

Interestingly: the KED Q900 is 1/2 the price of the Rega RS5 in the USA.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
I am not selling them, just pointing out the avaialbility. The recent forum changes included a relaxation on linking to other sites, incduing (as I understood it) retailers. I hope that means that ebay links are ok too?

:oops: if not

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
I think it must do, Greg, otherwise the post would've been pulled. I was just wondering aloud.

Getting myself some 22s tomorrow I think - GF has allowed them in the living room, after kiboshing back in March! Sorry, off topic now.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Lucky you. I would love to upgrade my 'i' series to twenty series, but that would get far too expensive right now given theres five channels to consider.

Enjoy the new speakers

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
MoData said:
Another question: would the GB1i/PMC 20.23 the RS5 and/or the Neat Motive 2 SE work in this room, or do I 'need' to go up to the next level up in size? 20.25/RS7 etc.?

At a guess, I would say that if your listening area can be closed off, you will be fine with the smaller models; but if it's open plan, you will probably need the bigger model.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
A room that size needs more speakers.

You'd be best of getting 2 pairs of smaller speakers for the money you're looking to spend. placed on wall brackets fireing down. to give a fuller sound as opposed to a single pair of stereo speakers, it may well be worth looking second hand for higher spec speakers.

But two pairs is the way to go me thinks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts