Speaker recommendation for Roksan Caspian M1

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, although a new member here, I have dabbled in Hifi for a number of years, recently upgrading to a Roksan Caspian Mk1 Integrated. I have it hooked up to a pair of Quad 11L2 standmounters, usually playing DAB radio and Blues through a Quad CDP-2 cd player.

Although I love the warmish sound this combo gives me, I feel that the speakers could be a bit of a 'weak' link that could possibly be improved (looking for more detail), therefore I am considering upgrading to something else, possibly the ATC scm11's or EB2's.

I listen at mainly low to moderate levels of volume for most of the time, so the questions is:

Would these speakers be an upgrade to what I've got already, or should I be looking elsewhere?

Consensus is that the ATC's require a bit more volume, although I only sit about 7ft away from my speakers and ideally would like to site them as close to the back wall as possible.

I have a budget of approx £1000 to spend on something either new or 2ndhand if required.

Any help/opinions greatly appreciated.

Hi and welcome to the forum. The caspian M1 sounds rather good with Monitor Audio Gold range (GS10) or the newer GX50. Also look at Totem Arro. Although these are floorstanders, they are scarily small; Spendor SA-1 or PMC DB1is. The MAs and PMCs need to be sited about 12" from back wall.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the welcome and quick reply.... will look at some of these options now! :)

BTW, my current speakers are sited 14" from wall at the moment.

gestev said:
Thanks for the welcome and quick reply.... will look at some of these options now! :)

BTW, my current speakers are sited 14" from wall at the moment.

That's fine - most speakers need at least 10"-12" to work at their best, even sealed boxes.

Also (should've thought about these before) Ruark Sabre III are superb. They again work well close to the wall, but the only caveat is the top end can sound bright. If you can track a dealer down have a listen and see what you think.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
The Totem's are brilliantly good at imaging, are fairly omni-directional (don't beam) & have more bass (that is tight & goes low) than you would think possible frome such slim floorstanders but not enough for some folk. They are nominally 4 Ohms, demand top-notch amplification but their full retail price has crept up to ~£1350! They only go fairly loud before distortion hardens the sound. Although I love them, they are not going to be to everyone's taste.

I'm not familiar with the MAs but your Caspian M1 should drive various PMCs pretty well as PP has noted.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
ATC SCM7, SCM10 or Spendor S3/5R would be good choices, the Spendors being slightly easier on the ear if the top end of the ATC's is a little to strident.

I heard the SCM7 with the Caspian M2 integrated and did not think it was a great match, but the room was larger than ideal.

I would avoid the PMC or MA models if they have to go close to the walls, they both have slightly elevated bass humps and rear ported / rear TL port so like to have a bit of room around them.

Proac 1SC could also be a good option, if you can find a pair!

Rega RS1 also if you like a livlier presentation.

hoopsontoast said:
ATC SCM7, SCM10 or Spendor S3/5R would be good choices, the Spendors being slightly easier on the ear if the top end of the ATC's is a little to strident.

I heard the SCM7 with the Caspian M2 integrated and did not think it was a great match, but the room was larger than ideal.

I would avoid the PMC or MA models if they have to go close to the walls, they both have slightly elevated bass humps and rear ported / rear TL port so like to have a bit of room around them.

Th Op did say that his Quads are around 14" from the back wall and the PMCs and MAs will be fine at that distance, unless, of course, he has a very reflective room.

The ATCs should be fine at low to medium levels, but once they are cranked up (Caspian is only 70 watts) the amp could struggle.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
hoopsontoast said:

Th Op did say that his Quads are around 14" from the back wall and the PMCs and MAs will be fine at that distance, unless, of course, he has a very reflective room.

The ATCs should be fine at low to medium levels, but once they are cranked up (Caspian is only 70 watts) the amp could struggle.

I read this -

gestev said:
Consensus is that the ATC's require a bit more volume, although I only sit about 7ft away from my speakers and ideally would like to site them as close to the back wall as possible.

I have a budget of approx £1000 to spend on something either new or 2ndhand if required.

And if he is only 7ft away, I would have thought there would be enough power, while the SCM7 and 10's IME do sound better with a generally more powerfull, larger SS amp, in terms of SPL, they go as loud with most amps as any other of the speakers mentioned. I used 8w T-Amp and SCM10, with a listening distance of around 6ft with no problems.

These could be another option, the smaller standmounts are said to be very good.

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?68893-F-S-Cura-CA1-Floorstander-in-cherry

hoopsontoast said:
plastic penguin said:
hoopsontoast said:

I read this -

gestev said:

And if he is only 7ft away, I would have thought there would be enough power, while the SCM7 and 10's IME do sound better with a generally more powerfull, larger SS amp, in terms of SPL, they go as loud with most amps as any other of the speakers mentioned. I used 8w T-Amp and SCM10, with a listening distance of around 6ft with no problems.

These could be another option, the smaller standmounts are said to be very good.

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?68893-F-S-Cura-CA1-Floorstander-in-cherry

I only sit about 8' from my RS6s and no problems there. Even at 7 or 8' you may still need a bit of welly.

gestev said:
Hi, although a new member here, I have dabbled in Hifi for a number of years, recently upgrading to a Roksan Caspian Mk1 Integrated. I have it hooked up to a pair of Quad 11L2 standmounters, usually playing DAB radio and Blues through a Quad CDP-2 cd player.

Although I love the warmish sound this combo gives me, I feel that the speakers could be a bit of a 'weak' link that could possibly be improved (looking for more detail), therefore I am considering upgrading to something else, possibly the ATC scm11's or EB2's.

I listen at mainly low to moderate levels of volume for most of the time, so the questions is:

Would these speakers be an upgrade to what I've got already, or should I be looking elsewhere?

Hi gestev

Roksan's Caspian amplification works a treat with ATC's SCM11 monitors. The Caspian has sufficient quality and (as long as you're not after constant disco like levels) quantity of power to be partnered with SCM11's.

Btw, SCM11's closed box design and importantly their flat and honest presentation enables SCM11's to be positioned close to walls without the bass in particular getting itself into a twist.

All te best

Rick @ Musicraft

MUSICRAFT said:
gestev said:

Hi gestev

Roksan's Caspian amplification works a treat with ATC's SCM11 monitors. The Caspian has sufficient quality and (as long as you're not after constant disco like levels) quantity of power to be partnered with SCM11's.

Btw, SCM11's closed box design and importantly their flat and honest presentation enables SCM11's to be positioned close to walls without the bass in particular getting itself into a twist.

All te best

Rick @ Musicraft

Oh joy! You'll be advising him to trade the Caspian in for the Rotel RA-1062. Yes, the ATCs are good but at 70 watts with the Caspian, there are easier speakers to drive and sound far sweeter at low volumes, hence the PMCs, Totems and MAs.

mpapo

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
hoopsontoast said:

I have ATC SCM 11's and the top end is anything but strident, I think A LOT depends on the match speaker/amplification because in my setup Dynaudio Contour 1.3 MKII's top end sounded strident and Dynaudio is often described as warm-sounding.

A

Anonymous

Wow, thanks to all you guys for the comments and recommendations.... gonna have a wade through the list of speakers here and find out which I could audition relatively close to where I live (Co Durham).

Just as a sub-note, I could possibly consider upgrading my amp in the not too distant future, was considering the Quad 909 as I already have the CDP-2 pre Cd player: would some of these speakers follow with me if I did decide to take this route?

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
mpapo said:
hoopsontoast said:

I have ATC SCM 11's and the top end is anything but strident, I think A LOT depends on the match speaker/amplification because in my setup Dynaudio Contour 1.3 MKII's top end sounded strident and Dynaudio is often described as warm-sounding.

Yup they are not very strident, just a little I have found with some source material, the SCM10's were a good bit smoother in that respect.

Mind you, the SCM11 is the model I have least experience with compared to the SCM7 and SCM19.

plastic penguin said:
MUSICRAFT said:
gestev said:

Hi gestev

All te best

Rick @ Musicraft

Oh joy! You'll be advising him to trade the Caspian in for the Rotel RA-1062. Yes, the ATCs are good but at 70 watts with the Caspian, there are easier speakers to drive and sound far sweeter at low volumes, hence the PMCs, Totems and MAs.

Hi plastic penguin

But the RA-1062 is rated at 60w :grin:

Btw, ATC's are low distortion, flat and honest designs.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

gestev said:
Wow, thanks to all you guys for the comments and recommendations.... gonna have a wade through the list of speakers here and find out which I could audition relatively close to where I live (Co Durham).

Just as a sub-note, I could possibly consider upgrading my amp in the not too distant future, was considering the Quad 909 as I already have the CDP-2 pre Cd player: would some of these speakers follow with me if I did decide to take this route?

Hi gestev

Your welcome.

The 909 is a good power amp and one which will accommodate most of not all of the speakers mentioned in this thread.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

hoopsontoast said:

Hi hoopsontoast

I've not found any ATC monitor to sound strident.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I am big fan of ATC speakers, as you may have noticed from my posts. But they are not perfect, and compared to some other speakers, like the Spendor S3/5R and SA1 for example, their competitors are noticably smoother in the treble but do lack the SCM7's dynamic ability and open stable mid range.

Hence the comment that some people might find the treble a little strident occasionally, as when I compared the SCM7 (which I owned for a good while) with the SCM10 (I owned as well) that has the more expensive Vifa tweeter it was noticably smoother and had higher resolution in the treble.

ATC speakers tend to divide opinion, especially when it comes down to the aparently 'revealing' nature in the treble.

I dont think that ATC are massively accurate in the grand scale of things, they do tend to have a slight brigtness in the treble when partnered incorectley or placed too far out into the room (the passive 7,11 and 19's). I will agree that they are better than most, but they are not be be all and end all.

That being said, the SCM7 is still my favourite speaker (IMO and IME) under £1k that I would buy new.

A

Anonymous

Some fantastic options here guys, thnx :grin:

There's a dealer in my area got the PMC db1i, Spendor SA1 and Monitor Audio GX50 in stock so gonna have a look at these options.

Out of interest, for a couple of hundred more, does anyone have a recommendation for the MA GX100, or even tried the Kef R300 with the Caspian?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts