Speaker problem help.

Chr78

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys.

I just recently bought a pair q acoustics concept 20. Then i inserted the foam you put in the back of the speaker to get more bass? Anyway it got stuck and i couldnt get it out. Then today i tried to hoover the foam piece out. Then what happened is that instead of getting the foam back out, i got pieces of cloth/wool that must have been in the hole in the back of the speaker. I pulled out quite a bit

file:///Users/christiandorn/Desktop/20140129_102359_resized.jpg

Then i tested the speakers, it seems they are fine. But you never know.

Are the speakers destoyed? And if not, how do i get the foam out? :)

Christian

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Foam bungs will not give more bass. Opposite really but more about tuning bass to match room/position acoustics. I would gently push the wadding back in and not worry about the foam. If anything touches the speaker cones from behind u will hear it. If you really need to get in its usually possible to remove the terminal plate at the back but I dont know your speakers. (Pix dont work btw).

Chr78

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Hey robin.

So you are saying, just leave it be? and put the wadding in gently?

Maybe you could help me. Step by step of removing the foam from the frontside? That could be super nice.

thanks alot.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Chr78 said:
So you are saying, just leave it be? and put the wadding in gently?

Maybe you could help me. Step by step of removing the foam from the frontside?

Not from the front side, from the rear, the plate the speaker posts are mounted on is held on with 4 allen screws, undo them, gently pull the plate away, remove the foam and stuff the wadding back in.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
I dont know the exact internal construction of this speaker. Normally the sides have glued foam/wadding and then loosely packed wadding - which u seem to have sucked out! It looks like the rear panel has allen screws to remove the terminal plate but I suspect gently pushing the wadding back will suffice. Listen carefully to each speaker (in mono) to hear any difference at modestly high volume. I would bet all will be fine. You could email Q with a pic for their advice.

Chr78

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
So remove the plate from the rear side? just four screws? just remove the screws and put the wadding back in and take the foam out?

sorry for all the questions.

Chr78

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Hey Robin.

Im good with the advices yes. I got my allen key and removed the foam. Hope it hasnt affected the speaker. Anyway, you seem like you know ur hi fi. i dont. So can you recommend a precise, compact and no to expensive sub for my marantz pm 6005. I actually made a new thread with that subject.

Christian

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Glad it worked ok. Sorry to mislead u tho - I know nuffin :) Just look at my footer!

I have built a few speakers tho in my time and the internal wadding is a fairly standard build. A new thread is best for your other question as you said.

Good listening :cheers:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts